I need help with a story...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Heil Teemo

02-24-2012

I just heard Fiora's voice and the literary muse is rapidly jabbing me to write about the most stuck-up, finicky, unapproachable French witch in the history of Demacia. It might be a comedy, I want to stage fights so it will be action, and what I need from the loyal community is a list of very stereotypical French things (stripped shirts, baguettes, long-stem cigarettes, etc.).

Keep in mind this is meant to be light-hearted, not racist. I'm not going to make fun of Fiona's Frenchitude, but rather celebrate it in the most verbose fashion possible. Won't you take pity on an untraveled soul?

TheStalwart

02-24-2012

I suggest research. Here's a site to get you started:

http://www.anitagotravel.com/2011/03...ut-the-french/

Grand Viper

02-24-2012

"Monsieur Crownguard! Comment allez-vous cette belle journée?"

"Voulez vous coucher*avec la mort?" (Would you like to sleep with death?)

*coucher is not necessary but can be added to emphasize the point

I'd say lots of cafes, coffee drinking scenes, you need prim and proper manners and you will have to do some stereotypical insults. You have to look these insults up, voulez-vous is a very polite way of asking someone to sleep with them, but you can play with the words like I did and make it imply would they essentially like to have intercourse with death.

Here's an example scenario, she's sitting at a cafe with coffee and a pastry, musing about the pretty things in life, someone comes challenges her but she refuses."Incroyable! (Incredible!) The finest swordswoman in all of Decamia refuses a duel? Pah! Vous êtes un cochon et un fou! (You are a pig and a fool!)"

Her response, "Incroyable, un cochon et un fou speaks to me (Incredible, a pig and a fool speaks to me). L'etrange things in life. (the strange)"

"You dare?! Have at vous!"

I find if you combine French words with English it helps add on to the absurdity and make things sound sophisticated and somewhat funny at the same time by intermixing the two languages. What I mean is, with the more creative insults you can use French so it sounds dignified, then use English for the simple things to create the divide between sophistication and layman terms.

Just for future reference, I'm reaaaaaally reaching with the French, my French is quite rusty, this is pushing my limits.

Ryugi Kazamaru

02-24-2012

*Tempted to make an "Ask Fiora" account and strike while the iron is hot*

Of course someone has probably already made one. And at this point not much is really known about her past what we've been able to scrounge up.

Heil Teemo

02-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryugi Kazamaru View Post
*Tempted to make an "Ask Fiora" account and strike while the iron is hot*

Of course someone has probably already made one. And at this point not much is really known about her past what we've been able to scrounge up.
That someone has. I've already tried.

Cerubois

02-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Viper View Post
I find if you combine French words with English it helps add on to the absurdity and make things sound sophisticated and somewhat funny at the same time by intermixing the two languages. What I mean is, with the more creative insults you can use French so it sounds dignified, then use English for the simple things to create the divide between sophistication and layman terms.
We call it Franglais where I'm from. :P

Grand Viper

02-24-2012

Cerubois, don't tell me you're Canadian?

Jaykoboy

02-24-2012

He's also a very important character on the Lore forums, although I dare not tell which 'Ask' thread he runs.

Heil Teemo

02-24-2012

Quote:
"Monsieur Crownguard! Comment allez-vous cette belle journée?"

"Voulez vous coucher*avec la mort?" (Would you like to sleep with death?)

*coucher is not necessary but can be added to emphasize the point

I'd say lots of cafes, coffee drinking scenes, you need prim and proper manners and you will have to do some stereotypical insults. You have to look these insults up, voulez-vous is a very polite way of asking someone to sleep with them, but you can play with the words like I did and make it imply would they essentially like to have intercourse with death.

Here's an example scenario, she's sitting at a cafe with coffee and a pastry, musing about the pretty things in life, someone comes challenges her but she refuses."Incroyable! (Incredible!) The finest swordswoman in all of Decamia refuses a duel? Pah! Vous êtes un cochon et un fou! (You are a pig and a fool!)"

Her response, "Incroyable, un cochon et un fou speaks to me (Incredible, a pig and a fool speaks to me). L'etrange things in life. (the strange)"

"You dare?! Have at vous!"

Just for future reference, I'm reaaaaaally reaching with the French, my French is quite rusty, this is pushing my limits.
I like that, thanks. Not sure if I'll go that heavy on it, though. Otherwise I might have to include a translation table at the end of each chapter.

Cerubois

02-24-2012

Quote:
Cerubois, don't tell me you're Canadian?
Is that a bad thing? I thought you might notice from my spellings of 'colour' and 'favourite' and such. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaykoboy View Post
He's also a very important character on the Lore forums, although I dare not tell which 'Ask' thread he runs.
*Gasp* You wouldn't dare! I've put a lot of effort into hiding my identity (even hiding my 'u's from my canadian spellings!) and not forcing my personal ideas into it.
Buuuuut... I wouldn't be dismayed if the truth got out. It's actually taking up a lot more time than I expected it would, haha.