Caitlyn Dominion Guide

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Isleen

02-24-2012

I've seen a lot of different Caitlyn builds in Dominion, tried a few myself and this is the one I've had the most success with. I'm putting this out both as a guide and to get feedback, some people might have different ideas.

Top or Bot?: Caitlyn is a pretty great bottom character. Going bot also allows you to farm minions to build up faster. Remember Caitlyn is a ranged AD carry, as such until she gets a few items under her belt, her damage is sub par, and she's squishy as hell. So I recommend you always go bottom with her, unless the situation really calls for her top.

Starting Items: Boots + Prospector's Blade + heal potion. This is a pretty self explanatory and standard starting item set for most AD champs. Some mobility + HP + Damage + mini-lifesteal, what more could you ask for?

First Purchases: Depend very much on who you're going against. If you're bot, your primary role is to counter their bot. If they have heavy magic damage going Merc Threads + Wits End is ideal. If they have heavy AD, especially auto-attack AD, Ninja Tabi + Zeal is a good choice. If there's a mix of damage coming at you, or the possibility of a magic dealing champ ganking you is high, OR their building early Thorn Mail Ninja Tabi + Wits End is also a good choice.

Mid Game: Once the game is under way, I always no matter what happens purchase these two items in order. Black Cleaver + Sanguine Blade. Always buy the Vampiric Scepter first, the extra life heal can help.

Late Game: Now that you got your core build setup, it's time for finishing items. If you went Zeal, and your team is doing well, AND they aren't swimming in Thornmails, building a Phantom dancer is recommended. However in most balanced games going Tri-force is great. I know she doesn't have a lot of low cooldown powers, but the extra survive, and slow from tri-force is really worth it's weight in gold in these games. If you went the Wits End route (as most of the times I do since there's almost always a Magic Damager bot) then it's almost always recommended to go Tri-Force. Again use your judgement, PD is great, but a Thornmail will ruin your day with it.

Last Item : This one is really very dependent on how the game is going, and if it even gets this far. Hopefully you haven't sold the Prospector's Blade until now, as it's a great item all game long, and now you can replace it with IE, Thornmail, Odyn's Veil, Atma's Impaler, etc. Use your judgement.

Bottom Play Strategy: Traps, Traps and more Traps. The two bushes bot should always be trapped. The third trap can go in the bushes going to the center of the map (usually on the enemies side as often ganks will come from there), or if ganks are unlikely, on the heal shrine bot. Be careful to place the trap exactly in the center of the shrine, otherwise smart players will be able to get the shrine without triggering the trap. Another strat is to wall off the lane with traps, this seriously impedes the other player's ability to push. I personally prefer the bushes, as it stops annoying chars from hiding in them, dashing out, striking and dashing back in, and it gives larger lane control. Get really good with landing Es. The skill isn't just for running, use it to slow down an incoming champ and immediately lay down some hurting on them, or to "flash" towards a fleeing enemy to get that kill shot. Try to harass the minions and the opposing champ in equal measures. Don't stick around for a fair fight early on, once you've got some damage and life steal you can handle most champs one on one, but early game you are squishy! Save your passive crit for the opposing champ, it packs quite a wallop especially early on.

Skill Order: Q-E-W, always alternating in that order. Don't level up a skill at the expense of others. A higher level E slows for longer, has lower cooldown and does more damage. The same is more or less true of Q and W, get those cooldowns low asap. Obviously Always level R.

Runes: I go Apen reds, Armour/level yellows, MR/level blues and Apen quints. That 24 armour/mr is extremely useful. With this setup Merc Threads and wits end, for example, I hit around 130 mr easy, without really sacrificing any damage. Same can be achieved with Ninja Tabi for armour.

That's about it! Thanks for reading the guide, and any criticism is welcome.

PS: Forgot two very Important Aspects

Summoner Spells: Forgot to add this. I usually go Exhaust + Ignite. Exhaust is just too good even after the nerf, and Ignite can seriously be a life saver versus life stealing / healing champs. Promote, Flash and Summoner's Resolve are also good. I usually find Ignite better then promote though, your E serves as a mini flash so you can do without the summoner spell, and Resolve has a bit too high a cooldown for my tastes.

Masteries: 21/9/0 has served me well. Though 9/21/0 is also not a bad choice. I prefer the extra lfie steal, apen, damage etc that you get with a pure carry build, especially since cooldown reductions and the relatively minor survive you get from going beyond health boosts in the tank tree, aren't all that useful for cait. You're not a tank, you're still quite squishy.

Isysar

02-24-2012

This looks quite decent. I was talking with Sauron last night, and we believe Caitlyn is sleeper OP.

Also, she's a very good counter to Udyr bottom.

Isleen

02-24-2012

Yeah I think she and Cho'Gath are really underused bot champs. The only champ that gives me some trouble bot so far is Yorrick. Due to his mad sustain is hard to push him back early on, once I get Black Cleaver + Sanguine though, it's usually all good.

Pantazi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleen View Post
Yeah I think she and Cho'Gath are really underused bot champs. The only champ that gives me some trouble bot so far is Yorrick. Due to his mad sustain is hard to push him back early on, once I get Black Cleaver + Sanguine though, it's usually all good.
It is **** near impossible for me to push a yorick back as cait unless I get fed or my team ganks bot a lot. My net can only be used so often...

Also, what runes are you using? You didnt state anywhere what kind of runes you had on her

Isleen

02-24-2012

Against Yorick always go Merc Threads + Wits End. It seriously cuts down on his harass damage, even if he's going pure AD. Harass him as much as you can, but your primary role early one vs. yorick is to keep the minion waves cleared. This keeps your tower relatively safe, even a badass yorrick can't own you next to your tower early game, and it gives you the coin you need. Once You got Merc Threads, Prospector's Blade, Wits end and Black Cleaver + Vamp Scepter, most Yoricks start having trouble. Sanguine blade and then Phage tends to seal the deal. But yes he's one the most frustrating champs to face, especially early on. **** that "ghoul" spam.

And I added Runes at the bottom, nearly forgot those .

Pantazi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-24-2012

I may just be silly, but I always have ghost or flash. I feel naked without one of the two (vayne I take both). I have been taking ghost and garrison for Cait on bot which can really help me save a turret from time to time...or bait in some kills. Those runes though, I may have to try out to see how effective they are. I have been looking for a rune page for her for bot for some time now. I am either too squishy, or not enough dmg.

Her traps I place according to what Im playing against. Heimer...fk him, he doesnt get that heath. I block him in lane. But if its wk and he is just jumping from that bush in lane then I trap that bush, one blocking him in lane (maybe two) closer to me in that opening, and maybe one where the minions spawn out of for me. So if he chases me down that little area, the first thing he will land on is that trap.

Isleen

02-24-2012

The per level armor and mr runes are golden, they really make a big diff for her resists, and if you throw in merc threads and wits end, magic damage champs are ****ed until they get void staff.

I see many Caits go pure dps, the problem with that is you're squishy as hell, if you die in 2 seconds flat, you're not going to do any damage. Dominion bot is about 1v1 fights, so you don't get to rely on a tank to screen for you, you have to be able to take some damage yourself without sacrificing dps, I find this combination of items and runes gives me that.

Ghost and Garrison are just too long cooldown for me, and when you're bot you don't need to run that far, just Net and run away can usually save you from most ganks, and if the **** hits the fan throw a exhaust on them as well. Run through your bushes too where you got traps, that saved me so many times. I'm just addicted to the Exhaust + Ignite combo, I've raped many a life steal, spell vamp Champs who tower dive me at half life thinking easy kill and get slapped by that combo.

Basoosh

02-24-2012

I run the exact same runes as you. Creepy! Well maybe not, they are all around solid.

I love using Cait's "double cast" of Q+E. Really satisfying to hit someone in the face with both barrels when they jump in on ya. Although, I tend to use the double-cast even when there's really no use for it. It's just too fun.

larkhill

02-24-2012

i feel the need to mention the fact that cait top almost never works. the only time cait top works is when u have a team of disruption tanks/tanky dps around her to give her time to do massive dmg

as a bot character tho, she's fairly good, even if underused a bit. maybe ill try it when i get home... hmmmm

Isleen

02-25-2012

Yes I agree totally Lark, Cait top is only viable if she's got a good screen of tanks to keep her safe AND even then it takes her too long to get items to be useful. That's why I always go bot with her if the team doesn't spaz about it .