Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

The Lane Meta

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jestermasq

02-23-2012

Hi there all, first post though I'm not too new to LoL. I have a question about why the laning meta is set up how it is (i.e. ap mid, solo top, jungle, support and ad carry bot).
I've thought about it recently and I just keep thinking that Mid lane and bottom lane (or top doesn't really matter) could swap.
My reasoning is this
-mid lane is seemingly more susceptible to ganks so having a support there would be good
- the creeps hit each other in the mid faster which would mean a little bit of an exp boost for the duo lane, evening out the teams level.

I'm fairly sure this isn't revolutionary, so is there a reason the current meta has won out over this format?

warKitty

02-23-2012

Dragon control. That's why bot has 2.

All lanes get equal creeps so the xp wont be different either.

OneMeterWeiner

02-23-2012

Adding onto what the previous poster said; AP scales better off of leveling up faster than gold and AD scales better off of gold than leveling. This is why the mid is alone and you send a support to help the AD farm.

P.S. Did I just use a semi-colon correctly? lol

NeonChinchilla

02-23-2012

the AD carry won't be that great until late game due to the dependency on gold farming. So you send the support with them as additional protection and because the support doesn't/shouldn't need any farm (gold for 10 items/runes) so there is no contest for farm. They go bot because they need to stay together for their symbiotic relationship and because having 2 near dragon helps control it as its fought over sooner and more often.

AP goes mid because they DO need farm but much less to be effective as they are predominantly powerful in early game and generally fall off late game (there are exceptions). The idea is that the AP (who scales much faster) can hold the lane alone and not have to worry about warding parts of the jungle. The AP is ALSO in mid because its their duty to roam to the top and bot for additional help and kills since they are probably fairly fed by that point.

Top is usually solo because there is a jungler in most games on each team. Top is the least important lane because during the laning phase baron will not be contested, the only jungle thing worth guarding is blue or red buff on either side which bot lane already should be guarding in addition to dragon on their side. Its just a place holder so the lane isn't taken while the jungler does his or her thing.

The meta changes periodically but right now this is it. It does make sense given how each type of champion scales so that they do indeed scale accordingly and no one ends up useless. Hope I helped sum up everything for you

Son of Sword

02-24-2012

I don't see why you couldn't switch top and bot right off the bat to throw off the other team with duo top ad/support and send your fifth team mate bot. The jungler is the catalyst in the dragon fights to begin with so it shouldn't be a problem. Besides, proper warding and map awareness is what wins you objectives like dragon; not having two people at bottom lane.

For example, when an enemy is viewed attempting to take an objective the most simplistic of collaborative movements is achieved by any team. Consider an enemy jungler seen at dragon getting pinched by a combination of your bot/top/jungler. Consider your jungler getting out jungled bc the enemy warded your jungle in the first five minutes.

When youre trying out new formations always keep your wards in mind, your team mates will know where to be when wards show where the enemy is. You won't even have to ping or yell. Keep up the wards and don't expect the support to buy them all if you want to view the whole map.

UncleBenny

02-24-2012

Quote:
Irayte:
Adding onto what the previous poster said; AP scales better off of leveling up faster than gold and AD scales better off of gold than leveling. This is why the mid is alone and you send a support to help the AD farm.

P.S. Did I just use a semi-colon correctly? lol

Not really, I think it should be a comma to seperate 2 clauses instead of 2 complete sentences???

WTB English Major?

Quick Rawr

02-24-2012

Quote:
Son of Sword:
I don't see why you couldn't switch top and bot right off the bat to throw off the other team with duo top ad/support and send your fifth team mate bot. The jungler is the catalyst in the dragon fights to begin with so it shouldn't be a problem. Besides, proper warding and map awareness is what wins you objectives like dragon; not having two people at bottom lane.

You lose most of your dragon control with that idea. It's a bad one. Sure in many cases the jungler initiates the dragon attack, but how many times have you as a bot lane carry or support go up to bother them at dragon and nothing happens? Often. If they had 2 bot lane against your one, you just couldn't interrupt it since it would be 4v1 if mid came down. Tis a silly idea.

Top Lane: Far from the action, it's a 1v1.5 (due to ganks) and you need to be able to sustain yourself and farm well. I don't think this should ever change.

Mid Lane: AP. They don't typically push the lane hard early game (beyond Morgana, but she can't be ganked easily so meh). You don't want the lane pushed since it's easy to gank, and you just want to be able to minion farm.

Bot Lane: Support is nice to have, you can switch it to a roamer if you so desire if they play right. It's an easier lane to defend and ward, able to push. Need 2 bot vs 2 top for dragon control. AD Carry needs to go somewhere and farming here works quite nicely.

Jungle: Any type of char, typically with either high burst damage or some sort of strong CC/gap closer. Beyond that it doesn't really matter that much what type of champ it is, although typically it'll be AD or AP depending on what top lane is.

A Sneaky

02-24-2012

Switching top and bot can work, but essentially it is the same thing. If the other team is smart they will switch their lanes as well since the ad carry and support will zone the top. Note that you better have a strong solo lane bot to make them want to change as well. Someone who can get farm 1v2 like cho or gragas.

At this point it will just be switched although both teams will have less dragon control since the ad carry and the supports will have to make a long treck down to dragon.

corallein

02-24-2012

The meta is the way it is because it's simple and it works. Any changes to it usually require some amount of team coordination which is hard to come by in solo queue.

And mid lane is the hardest to gank. Sure, it will often see a lot of attempts due to being accessible from both sides of the jungle, but it also has the shortest distance back to the tower.

And you're also confusing with "creep travel time to lane" with "number of creeps". All lanes get the same number of creeps, since they spawn simultaneously for all three lanes on a set timer. Mid lane does NOT get more creeps simply because they reach the lane faster.

l JustinPark l

02-25-2012

Quote:
warKitty:
Dragon control. That's
why bot has 2.

All lanes get equal creeps so the xp wont be different either.

Actuallyy. Duo lanes get less experience because the experience from the creeps are split amongst the two players in that lane.