New player here, curious on how to play Pantheon Correctly.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GhostStalker

02-22-2012

I've looked at some guides, but im still not seeing any improvement in my play. Gearing in this game seems complicated. Do I want AD? or AP? Do i want Attack Speed, Life steal? What stat should i take?

How should my playstyle with Pantheon be?

ShadyGrave

02-22-2012

think of him as a melee caster. his focus is not in attack speed, ap, or on hit. its the combination of his abilities. raw damage is what you want on him. survivability as well. im somewhat distracted atm so i can really fill in the details, but hopefully that help explains how he's played.

Tho76

02-22-2012

I agree. You want some damage as well as tankiness. I used to main him, but I forgot the build. It was something like start with boots + 3 pots. Then get Phage. Then CDR boots. Finish Phage into Frozen Mallet. I think I got a Bloodthirster after that, then Atmogs (Atma's Impaler and Warmog's Armor).

GhostStalker

02-23-2012

Tho76. Why do I want the CDR Boots? I run out of mana very fast already.

Well really , what items should I get from start to finish? I know it depends on who i face, but something general would be nice.

Qwyxzl

02-23-2012

I've never played Pantheon, but when I lane against him, he's the most annoying when he abuses his shield. Sometimes enemy Pantheon will take mana regen early and throw spears at me until I'm in trouble.

Thundercleese

02-23-2012

My understanding of Pantheon solo top is that a lot of times he is either hard countered or a hard counter himself. In other words when you lane against Rene, you're going to lose out on the exchanges and probably lose the lane while if you're going up against GP it will be the exact opposite.

I love playing Urgot, another AD Caster but unfortunately its like the stars have to align perfectly to be able to play him... but when I do then a lot of times I almost single handedly win the game... and sometimes single handedly lose the game if I try and use him when I shouldn't. I think Panth might be in a similar boat, though he is probably viable in a lot more situations.

tl;dr No matter how well you play certain champs, some match ups just aren't winnable so don't assume you're doing it wrong. Though you might be doing it wrong... you never know.

Nozgo

02-23-2012

Generally I would start warmogs then blood thirsters then ionic sparks, phantom dancers, and nashor's tooth, then infinity's edge. Buy boots to start then sell them to make room for one of these items. This is the build i use. made it myself

CrippledPimp

02-23-2012

You'll want to build Pantheon as attack damage, life steal, and HP. Pantheon isn't really an auto-attacking champion as much as other melee champions are. For this reason, you'll want to build attack damage since this synergizes better with this ability kit.

Typically speaking, when you're going in for a kill, you will throw a spear at your target, jump onto the target to stun, use your heartseeker strike, and then by that time should be able to throw another spear. WIth this combo, you aren't really doing normal attacks which means you shouldn't really be worrying about attack speed so much. You'll want to do as much damage as fast as you can through his abilities which all scale off of his attack damage.

So, when you think Pantheon, think damage, HP, and life steal (in that priority order.) Back in the day, before Pantheon's remake, his typical build was merc treads and 5 blood thirsters . Now, though, you'll want to make him a bit tankier. Frozen Mallet is good for him. Atma's impaler too. Don't be shy about buying some Doran's blades early game.

To be honest, like all answers, it just depends on the game. When in doubt, just go Warmogs + Atma's impaler. You pretty much can never go wrong with that build (with merc treads.)

Larcent

02-23-2012

I am learning to play him, too. After typically playing tanky characters (Galio and Singed) I had to realize that he's actually an assassin, not a skirmisher, unlike a lot of other top laners. His health pool is pretty small to begin with. So I'm learning, like CrippledPimp just explained, that you don't go running in toe-to-toe pretty much ever. You engage for the purpose of the kill.

Realizing this will help preserve mana pool. I was using W and E to harass and kept running out of mana. That's not effective unless you are going in for the kill. You can use Q to harass (though if you're getting bullied in the lane, you may need to save it to last hit).

I find Bilgewater Cutlass to be really useful early on because it gives you some sustain with the life steal and helps secure early champ kills (if you remember to use the active) given his low mana pool.

I've seen guides that even suggest building the Cutlass up to the Gunblade, but I think the damage of his W skill has been nerfed since those guides were made and it's not quite as common anymore because the AP isn't as useful.

GON the Mage Guy

02-23-2012

This is just my way, and it works pretty well for me, so take it with a grain of salt, adapt what you like, and don't like. I play him solo top and sometimes bottom.

Skilling:
Start off with Spear, put a point in Heartseeker and W (In that order). I use Heartseeker for its passive more than anything, and its active later on for damage. Level Spear first, getting your Ultimate when you can, then level heartseeker. Level his stun last, since it's used for utility instead of damage.

CrippledPimp has his skill order right when going after an enemy champ. Don't solely rely on that combo, though. Harass with spear, save W and E for when you're going in on a champ or to help out a teammate.

Use your ult to initiate fights, get away, or confuse people. Jump just behind a retreating enemy to cut them off. Jump in the same spot if you're in the center of a fight to confuse them, if they're near the center, you'll do good damage. This requires you to be tanky, though.

Pay attention to his passive. It will save you a lot of damage from champions and turrets. Know when your shield is about to come up. When you use his W, his shield refreshes automatically, great for jumping, throwing a spear, and running away, because chances are they autoattack and do no damage.

Items:
I start out with a Doran's Blade, building into Berzerker's Greaves.

Now, I know that the folks above said he's not based around his autoattack, and this is very true, but because of his passive, having a little bit of attack speed is a good thing, especially if you're wanting to conserve mana but still block damage. Having Berzerker's Greaves gives you enough attack speed for the rest of the game.

Next I build a Wriggles or a Bloodthirster, depending on how the game is looking. If you're not getting farmed up enough, get a Wriggles for the utility (ward), defense (lifesteal and armor) and the damage (Madred's). Otherwise, go straight for the Thirster, getting the lifesteal or the BF Sword depending on how much you have.

After that, Frozen Mallet, Atma's Impaler. If they're doing a lot of magic damage, pick up some magic resistance in the form of a Hexdrinker. If you're needing something more, go for Force of Nature or Banshee's Veil.

After that, it really depends on how the game is going. If you need damage, get an Infinity Edge or another Thirster. Health, look at a Warmog's or Sunfire.

Hopefully that helps a bit.