LF Current guide to high ELO Gangplank

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sykomyke

07-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by hu4rollz View Post
I can tell you what not to do...

Don't farm for 35 minutes straight while only throwing down the occasional ult and making the most cursory effort to defend. And then don't blame your team for having negative records when you are 5-2-2 in a 40 minute 80 kill game, because we played 85% of the game 4v5.

Too many GPs get obsessed with farming and don't harass enough early or team fight mid game.
And yet early on that is what his strength is, using his ultimate to either deny an enemy push/gank. Or use the ultimate to net a kill.

GP is only good if you can farm him up. His Paarrrley (sp?) skill is a direct confirmation of this. He gets bonus gold to last hits with it. I laugh every time I see an enemy GP try to harass me with level 1-3 of parley early game cause It hits like a wet paper towel without any damage/crit items. They would be much better of last hitting minons, getting gold and pushing/defending a lane until later when they can steamroll others.

Early game I harass with grog-soaked blade and if the enemy makes a mistake, sure I'll capitalize on it and use parley on them, but I'm not gonna waste mana harassing them with it.

hu4rollz

07-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykomyke View Post
And yet early on that is what his strength is, using his ultimate to either deny an enemy push/gank. Or use the ultimate to net a kill.

GP is only good if you can farm him up. His Paarrrley (sp?) skill is a direct confirmation of this. He gets bonus gold to last hits with it. I laugh every time I see an enemy GP try to harass me with level 1-3 of parley early game cause It hits like a wet paper towel without any damage/crit items. They would be much better of last hitting minons, getting gold and pushing/defending a lane until later when they can steamroll others.

Early game I harass with grog-soaked blade and if the enemy makes a mistake, sure I'll capitalize on it and use parley on them, but I'm not gonna waste mana harassing them with it.
Obviously most of the time you are last hitting with it. But you also need to recognize times when harass is more important. Keeping the opponent from farming is almost always going to the best strategy when it is an option, and GP can lay down some mean harass.

Too many GPs get farming tunnel vision and ignore good team play.

freakigod

07-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by hu4rollz View Post
Obviously most of the time you are last hitting with it. But you also need to recognize times when harass is more important. Keeping the opponent from farming is almost always going to the best strategy when it is an option, and GP can lay down some mean harass.

Too many GPs get farming tunnel vision and ignore good team play.
The point of denying is to stop the enemy from farming well, that way you can focus on last hitting with melee attack and be able to stay in lane by healing with remove scurvy. Spending mana on parrrley early game is a waste, the ewwqwrqqq build gives enough healing to be able to go into melee range and survive.

I agree with what you said about getting tunnel vision, usually there's always a couple times that walking to dragon or helping jungler's against ganks is very important.

I find it so powerful when people focus me early game on GP and I just tank them with remove scurvy, it's really hard to die early game with exhaust/ghost and lvl 5 remove scurvy due to he ridiculous per level gain. I wouldn't suggest going "tankplank" just max out remove scurvy lets you fulfill a "tank" role early to mid game while still being able to deal lots of damage come late game. It's this weird progression where early game I have the score of a tank, then avarice and IE get bought and kills start racking up.

icedtee

08-08-2010

Playing GP in ranked now...it's been a mixed bag. this is a short guide...maybe ill make one if ppl request or if it hasnt already been made. tankplank doesnt carry liek a bawss, liek you can really buff your team and set your allies up to be the bawss.

9/0/21. all crit runes (althought i may change this up). clarity and ghost.

Usually I beg for mid, "mid plz with gp..early ults for top and bot control", i usually also bring up the fact that i can heal myself and deny...so i can adequately hold my lane. usually start with a meki and two mana pots.

lvl 1 - deny (using raise morale) first creep at ur nexus and attempt to creep block. deny using morale at first opportunity (esecially if u can deny away from them...sicne im not sure if denying with raise still gives them exp). also, deny the big cannon creep thing. your goal is to always control the creep wave. don't push. just last hit.

lvl 2 - get oranges for heals.

lvl 3 - parley. when you hit an opposing champion with parley, this draws their creeps toward you. if you can draw them to your tower...all the better. remember, creep wave control.

ok, now you prioritize heals over parley. get ult at first glance. max out raise at end.

note: if you are doing your jerb right, then you can stay in your lane b/c of meki and clarity. deny when you can, parley to farm, last hit or harass. heal at half life..etc.

ALWAYS keep mana for at least one orange. you never know when you will get popped by a sion out of the bush....or a stupid wannabe POTM arrow from ashe.

items: must have mallet, atmas, and relevant boots.

rush frozen mallet. you will be slow guy. at this point, i figure if we need an extra tank...then hit either a sunfire or banshees. note that if there is madd physical dps, get a thornmail. ninja tabi or mercury, check the enemy dynamic.

atmas is a must to keep you damage relevant with everyone else. ideally i would want around 2800 to 3000 hp with atmas. people say that infinity is a must, but i usually just roll more health or armor. i dont carry, i help set ppl up, usually through a permaslow.

in all, a good gp can cause alot of havoc in team battles (raise, parley, cannonballs, melee, parley)...but can also shadow a carry who is hunting for a kill in the woods.

also note, you get alot of cash as GP....dont be stingy. buy the wards...buy the oracle...noone else will, its kinda ****ish to make the carry buy them.