LF Current guide to high ELO Gangplank

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zargonzo

07-27-2010

So I'm about to hit lvl 30 and hope to continue to play Gangplank there and in rated matches.

Is he even viable in the high ELO area?

His ability to destroy squishies in 2 shots basically, and the ability to push/defend a tower is second to none, but is it enough?

Haven't seen a rival gangplank in about 50 games, and it's a little daunting.

Also looking for any kind of guide for gangplank. Cannon Barrage mechanics would be nice as well.

freakigod

07-27-2010

I don't really know how to describe the actual playstyle I do, but I'll give as much info as I can.

First I only play gangplank if the enemy has a possible jungler, I find he isn't that great if I'm not able to "counter" the fact they have a jungler by denying a lane. If there's an Amumu on my team GP becomes a good choice for ult comboing. I go exhaust/ghost since I haven't found anything more effective, ignite is good but I find exhaust is just more effective.

I like to go 2v2 or 1v2 and start by my nexus and start denying asap. I always hit a melee or siege minion, I don't like to deny ranged creeps since they seem to give so little xp in the first place. Sometimes if I'm in a 2v2 lane I'll retreat from the line of engagement a bit to make sure I can deny as soon as the cooldown for raise moral finishes. I use melee attacks to last hit and use heal and 2 hp pots to be able to deal with the pokes while getting those last hits.

Versus a melee or a lane without huge early game burst I like to be rather offensive with a CC teammate, don't be afraid to take damage from a single wave of minions if you can exhaust one of the enemy champs. I only ever have a problem if I don't pay attention to the enemy minion wave and attack while they have a big group, wait untill the tower resets it and then be offensive.

I use the EWWQWRQQQQ build and I like it, but I also like maxing out the heal sometimes. 70/125/195/280/380 is the amount healed per level of remove scurvy, as you can see it isn't like normal skills for leveling it up. Either way I always get 1 point of parrrley at lvl 4 but I don't use it to harass, parrrley is just there for helping with a gank in my lane as kind of a bonus to attack speed idk how else to describe it.

I always go with a 21/0/9 mastery build and the rune page I use is Red: Armor Pen, Yellow: Dodge, Blue: MP5/lvl, Quint: Flat Health x2, Armor Pen x1. The armor pen quint is just because I don't have 3 HP quints yet. I find GP is amazing with an endless supply of mana but Golem is almost always better on other champs, that's why I decided to use chalice on him and it worked out great.

I always go Chalice/Boots2/Avarice if I'm having a "normal" game, if I get a lot of kills sometimes I skip the Avarice and get BF sword and pickaxe. Late game I build Infinity Edge and then either get Last Whisper or Ghost Blade. The Ghost Blade helps a lot by letting me save ghost for an escape mechanism and use the clicky as an "offensive" ghost. Phantom dancer is a good replacement for ghost blade if the enemy team has some good auto attackers, I ussualy wait to build the zeal till after IE is finished, although I like to buy the brawler gloves before just I don't upgrade them.

I think gangplank is viable at high ELO as long as the advantage of denying isn't disrupted by the team with gangplank losing really bad early game. Make sure you and your teamates don't rely on your ult, its a bonus its not 100% of your champ. I find its only good early to mid game as a way to get assists across the map on guaranteed ganks or saving it to defend against tower divers while I rice up chalice/boots 2/avarice.

Zargonzo

07-27-2010

Thank you. I use the same build. Runes are a bit different. I only have HP blues. Nothing else defensive. I find remove survey to be all of the defense I need.

flaminghito

07-28-2010

If nothing else, enjoy playing Plank while Vlads are running around everywhere. -50% healing for ten seconds can really, really ruin his day.

Zargonzo

07-28-2010

lol I was just thinking that from my last few games playing against him.

I swear no champion is as gimped because of a summoner spell as Vladi. Particularly Ignite.

Also, I know it's not the best way to go. But I runed full crit besides armor pen quints and I've had amazing success. 21-0 19-1 14-3 in my last few games. With more assists than I could count.

shawster

07-28-2010

tanky deny plank is how you play him

deny constantly, don't exactly know the skill build but it's something like level 1 e-q-w-w-w-r.

i like the yoomu's phage atmas frozen mallet mercury treads build. it's tanky and he hits hard.

i disilke avarice blades because they are innefective as items and generally they don't pay off until a lot later in the game. even though you're critting 800 as avarice -> inf -> last whisper you'll die in 3 seconds as well.

fatalfencer

07-28-2010

i didnt know gangplank was viable high elo! if he is i might actually start playing my favorite scallywag again!

Zargonzo

07-28-2010

I have experimented with Tankplank. It does work.

Just have problems actually doing a good amount of dmg without Inf Edge.

hu4rollz

07-28-2010

I can tell you what not to do...

Don't farm for 35 minutes straight while only throwing down the occasional ult and making the most cursory effort to defend. And then don't blame your team for having negative records when you are 5-2-2 in a 40 minute 80 kill game, because we played 85% of the game 4v5.

Too many GPs get obsessed with farming and don't harass enough early or team fight mid game.

Zargonzo

07-28-2010

lol I know how to not be bad at GP. He's my favorite for a reason.

Was just wondering if he was viable in high elo rated matches. Havent seen one in forever, and not really sure why.