Runes - Armor Pen vs AD

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xalerwons

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-21-2012

Simplified: http://i.imgur.com/WKwAv.png
Detailed: http://i.imgur.com/aEpIX.png
The horizontal axis represents base AD + items (so excluding runes and masteries)
The vertical axis represents total armor

The color coding represents that the corresponding rune page is best at the scenario, and how much damage you would deal with an auto-attack.

Upcoming Changes
If you have some other rune page combinations you want me to compare with, let me know, as long as it's not too insane and obviously ineffective. ;p

Conclusion:
Full AD Marks and Quints are superior than any other combination for the early game (level 1-6) prior to buying a 2nd item.

Please note, if you rush triple Doran's or 2x Doran's + Wriggles often, you will probably want to run AD Quints, and Armor Pen Marks as it surpasses full AD when you have greater than 70 base AD + items.

FatNinja001

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-21-2012

So if one was to apply these computations to bottom lane's ad carry, a full AD rune page would be more beneficial early game compared to a ArPen page?

When I say full, I mean quints and marks.

Xalerwons

02-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatNinja001 View Post
So if one was to apply these computations to bottom lane's ad carry, a full AD rune page would be more beneficial early game compared to a ArPen page?

When I say full, I mean quints and marks.
Yes, I'll upload the new chart in a sec, but even against 80 armor targets, it's better to use a full AD page for <70 AD.

There is a slight bulge, where full Armor Pen marks, and full AD Quints excels at 60-80 AD vs 20-50 armor targets.

This is actually the majority of bottom lane carrys, as almost all of them run +13 armor seals, and then rush Wriggles for more armor or have a Sona/Taric giving them an additional 8-20 armor.

cookehz

02-21-2012

I feel kinda vindicated now. I usually do full AD Marks/Quints on my AD Champs (for the +15 AD) because I think the early game is vastly improved by flat damage as opposed to armor pen and this chart seems to agree with that save for some specific combinations of armor and AD. Nice.

Xalerwons

02-21-2012

Updated for 10-81 armor, and 40-100 AD

FatNinja001

02-21-2012

Can anyone think of a realistic situation where the full AD page would not be the most beneficial? The only one I can think of is Graves and Taric vs someone who doesn't have a bonus armor aura.

Xalerwons

02-21-2012

Quote:
Can anyone think of a realistic situation where the full AD page would not be the most beneficial? The only one I can think of is Graves and Taric vs someone who doesn't have a bonus armor aura.
At level 1, no.

But if we're talking about level 3, with the carry having 2x Doran's Blade and Boots 1?

Green (or Armor Pen Marks and AD Quints) are better than full AD at that point.

Like if it's a passive bot lane, say Soraka + Graves vs Janna + Vayne, you might end up just ricing on both sides for 8-10 minutes and rush a Wriggles/Bf Sword.

FatNinja001

02-21-2012

Let's talk about top lane now. Since they tend to be much more tanky, would full AD be a better option?

Xalerwons

02-21-2012

Quote:
Let's talk about top lane now. Since they tend to be much more tanky, would full AD be a better option?
top lane is a farm fest, so you'd generally rune for mid game dominance, and would be more specialized and specific to the champion I'd think

You should probably run Mpen or ArPen marks and your preference in Quints (xp, ms, gp/10, flat ap, etc.)

Snowrelax

02-22-2012

bump