Small word of advice

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Yaladilae

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-21-2012

After 500+ games on Dominion

I want to say, the correct and safe way to get a tower is to push lane, and not tower dive. Esp. when there is enemy champ standing underneath it...

Hékate

02-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaladilae View Post
After 500+ games on Dominion

I want to say, the correct and safe way to get a tower is to push lane, and not tower dive. Esp. when there is enemy champ standing underneath it...
Depends... if I'm Poppy and Teemo is the only one under the tower... Teemo is gonna pop. I agree the general population doesn't push enough, but there are times when what you have at the tower will beat what they have at the tower and diving will end it before they can send reinforcements.

SifuCalvin

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-21-2012

500+ is impressive but you still have much to learn because this scenario is highly debatable and subjective.
There is no correct way to take a tower, I am assuming a contested tower such as Windmill with minions in between. Skilled teams/players will dive a tower (with greater attackers than defenders) and individually unload their damage output while spreading out and interchanging tower capture during fighting which results in very low damage contribution by the tower. This type of maneuver requires a high degree of coordination but it works.

CommodoreSkippy

02-21-2012

Pushing the lane is almost a necessity to uproot particularly stubborn defenders, but it is also time consuming. Still, some champions can hold off 3 or even sometimes 4 assailants alone, with the turret's assistance, so minions are necessary to cap while you battle.
That considered, I would never push the lane for every attempt to capture. Pushing telegraphs too much and has you begging to be flanked and have your minions destroyed before they can even do any good at the tower. A big waste if the only champion defending the turret is not generally defensive.

I would suggest neither as a blanket approach. The right answer will always be the tactical application of the two.

Argodis

02-21-2012

You are correct that pushing the lane is the safest way but based on your team comp, the enemy's team comp, and the phase of the game, it may not be the best decision.

Some good defenders like Blitz and Alistar aren't good pushers so it is possible that you could neutralize a point just by continuously pushing the wave causing them to lose their turret advantage.

AbsolutePK

02-21-2012

If you're solo trying to take a point from someone else, sure. Assuming they aren't built with a way to kill off all of the creeps you've built up.

But to sit in lane and kill creeps, without being the bot player (even though this applies to them as well), you're just ASKING to get bumrushed by 2-3 people.

And yet if their entire team is dead, save for 1 person defending that node, while your team is dead. Pushing lane will help you cap, but it also takes quite a while and buys the enemy team time to respawn/run to the fight, as well as your team.

So it's pretty much just an endless teamfight, oh I'm alive and so is a defender, ok I'll push lane, ok here comes my team time to take their point, teamfight, oh I'm alive and so is a defender, ok I'll push lane, ok here comes my team time to take their point, teamfight, oh I'm alive and so is a defender, ok I'll push lane, ok here comes my team time to take their point, teamfight, hey we won the teamfight that time and took the point.

It gets pretty annoying when people think "let's constantly try to fight for top, instead of ganking bot or ambushing someone in the jungle".

Everything is situational.

FDru

02-21-2012

Clearing a minion wave or farming a lane a bit to get it moving isn't a bad idea, but "pushing" is stupid and you should never do it. You waste time by pushing lanes, when you could be doing more useful things. You also set yourself up for ganks or put your bot in danger by spending too much time in a lane.

If the enemy defender is an AOE champ you are doing them a big favor by pushing a huge minion wave. Ditto for any tank + DPS combo. Not only are you feeding them gold but you're wasting tons of time doing it while your nexus health ticks down.

If the enemy defender isn't a strong tank and you outnumber them you should definitely tower dive them rather than pushing. You only have a few seconds after a fight before the whole enemy team respawns and runs back to the turret. You could have been pressuring bot or taking the undefended turret while one person on your team secures the lane by clearing the minion wave.

dredzach

02-21-2012

Pushing the lane is rarely your best option.

You alone: don't push cause while pushing you expose yourself to an easy gank.
You plus allies and you expect no enemy reinforcements: one of you channel tower while the other fights.
You plus allies and you expect enemy reinforcements are inbound: wait in jungle to gank enemies, then kill the defender as mentioned above.
You plus allies and multiple enemies are defending tower: you and allies go assault a different tower far away, like bottom.

etc etc. pushing lane is a dumb idea unless you are bottom. Even then, be careful. Of course I don't know what elo you refer to when giving the pushing advice.

Anything is better than charging into windmill like sausages into a meat grinder.

IndigoHawk

02-21-2012

Pushing is only useful if you're going to push hard and use that minion wave. If you push a huge wave of minions to the tower, but you can't stop the defender from ignoring you and annihilating the minions, you wasted the opportunity. You'll have a trickle of minions against theirs and be stuck in a stalemate until you get ganked.

If you're going to push, then have a plan for that wave. Are you going to dive to make the defender fight you while the wave neutralizes the tower? Can you survive that long? Are you planning to die and let a second attacker finish the job? Are you going to escape and just leave the tower at half health?

The disadvantage pushing gives you (enemies know your position) often outweighs the benefit. Push carefully.