Dominion Balance

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Pseudobeast

02-20-2012

Let me start by saying that I agree that Dominion is not a failure. It's very fun, very quick, and much more action-packed than summoner's rift ever is.

In fact, I think the only problem with the map is an inherent design flaw: the balance of champions. It doesn't make sense to balance the champions around one map and then expect that they will remain balanced in the other. With different gold generations rates, armor/magic penetration, and importance on dying vs. not dying, plenty of champions will shine in one and not the other. The idea of "balancing the map with items" also does not make any sense for the same reason, since all of the same items are available to the weak and strong champions alike.

My suggestion is to have two separate sets of character balances. So perhaps on this next patch, you would nerf dominion Poppy and buff dominion Zilean, whereas you would keep them both the same on summoner's rift. It would certainly make the game slightly more complicated, in that there would be two different versions of each champion (one for each map), but I believe that a drastic change like this is necessary, in order for dominion to continue being playable and fun.

WaterD103

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-20-2012

Let's have ranked, lets see what teams trying hard every day come up with, then let's talk about balance, until then, its all theorycraft with no strong or real support

Nyx87

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-20-2012

I would have to agree. I was kind of surprised when they announced that it would just have a passive aura effecting all champions, that seems kind of like a band-aid fix. Sustain is still too good, i.e. Warwick, and passive mana regen makes some champs bonkers, i.e. Kassadin. The primary issue is that you would have to create new numbers for 80+ champions, which would take a lot of man power and time. Secondly, transitioning from Dominion to Summoners Rift for players would be quite difficult.

I also think they need to change more of the items. Realizing that Warmogs was a bad idea and removing it was a start, but a lot of champs, particularly AP champs, have issues itemizing in general. Introducing more new items and revamping old ones could also help.

However, I also think Dominion exaggerates a lot of things, particularly player's skill and knowledge. I have had people argue with me that it is OK to have 5 melee AD on a team, or that building nothing but Zeals on Vayne is OK. What we need is ranked and here is why. High Elo players tend to be players that know how to exploit certain strong champs and implement decent team comps. So once you implement Ranked Dom, there will be a clear consensus shown by ranking what is strong and what needs to be fixed.

Overall, I would love new numbers for Dominion and think it is really needed, but things still need to settle.

dazzel

02-20-2012

need ranked!

WaterD103

02-20-2012

I think With a lot of item changes and auras , its gonna be enough to balance dominion. But right now riot is not even trying, not even close.

ActionButlerGO

02-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterD103 View Post
I think With a lot of item changes and auras , its gonna be enough to balance dominion.
This. I'd like to see Riot gut the Dominion item system completely, remove everything from SR, and build an entirely new set of items for Dominion.

Korpral

02-21-2012

I believe Riots' thinking on balancing Dominion was the fact that Dominion feels like an End-game Summoners rift (and you can tell by the level gain/gold gain during the early stages of Doms release) which after several tweaks is no longer the case anymore.

There are several faults about Dominion that are holding it back one of which I strongly believe is bot lane...it's like cancer in a video game.

A good bot allows more captures on windmill as well as roaming ganks and possibly frequent bottom ganks (teams need to do this more, not just the pros) but it's still a 1v1 down there and sooner or latter one side is going to win and one of the teams is going to have to clean it up, but most of the time nobody really pays attention to bottom lane, they just want their teammate to hold the point and make sure nothing happens to it while they go for massive damage :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionButlerGO View Post
This. I'd like to see Riot gut the Dominion item system completely, remove everything from SR, and build an entirely new set of items for Dominion.
Agreed

On ranked, I would like to see it just to get the ****ing premades out of soloq...so tired of this. Though I think it should be in a preliminary stage where you rank up in elo like usual, but it's only temporary until riot introduces massive changes to items and bot lane as I don't think dominion is as balanced as people claim it to be.

Quote:
My suggestion is to have two separate sets of character balances
You do know this would cause a Twisted Treeline riot, right? I agree with you, it's something that needs to be done.

Cyndikate

02-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpral View Post

You do know this would cause a Twisted Treeline riot, right? I agree with you, it's something that needs to be done.
I think he means have those buffs and nerfs seperate to each game mode. So if let's say Rammus gets nerfed for dominion, his nerfs would apply to Dominion only, and Rammus on SR and TT would remain untouched.