Anyone play any good MMORPGs?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

goofninja

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Recruiter

10-30-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemhide View Post
Arenas are a joke. Im sorry but they are. Blizzard has admitted that they cannot balance their classes properly so what is their answer? They effectively remove 2v2 from the equation. Aside from this, doing well in Arenas generally means picking the FotM team. Arenas also allow for easy carries.
FotM class do not generally fare well in Arenas.

I play on Nightfall battlegroup (yes, it sucks), but our top teams consists of Arms Warriors. And it's generally accepted that _ANY_ type of Warrior is hard to play, yet, he seems to do fine?

FotM are for idiots who think they can lolstomp all over people. Look at the beginning of WOTLK. Over 9000 DKs and now they've all rerolled to something else.

Also; patch 3.3 Paladins get the ultimate nerf - no more LoH on themselves. Say goodbye to Ret Paladins in your arena team.

It's true that classes are imbalanced, but truthfully, every game has this plague on them. It's just a matter of HOW unbalanced they are. If you play right, you can stomp regardless of OPness. I've seen my friend (who also plays Warrior) beat the **** out of Retribution Paladins. Most scrubs who cry about why certain FotM classes are OP have obviously never played with keybinds.

PS: I play a Shaman, enhancement (might go resto for popularity in pve haha)

Keyn

10-30-2009

You're all wrong!

Take a look at Runes of Magic. It's an awesome F2P game with a dual-class system. I won't lie - it's very similar to WoW. However, you can play without paying a dime, and you'll still have access to all the game's content. The item shop is stressed and constantly built upon, but like LoL, it is only stuff that you don't need, or could get without the shop. These are things that would be nice or look cool but you can play just fine without it.

The coolest aspect of the game is the dual-class system. Like Guild Wars, you have a primary class and a secondary class. You get to use more abilities from your primary class than your secondary, but at any point you may switch to your secondary class and swap that up. The secondary class must also be leveled seperately. It's not as complicated as it sounds. Here's an example:

-You roll a Warrior. You start off in a very Elwynn looking area and make your way through some easy quests to hit level 10.

-A quest sends you to Varanas (one of the games two major cities) where you take Knight as your secondary class. You are now a level 10/1 Warrior/Knight.

-At this point, you have three sets of skills - Warrior general abilities, Warrior class-specific abilities, and Knight general abilities.

-You may continue to levle up as a W/K, going 11/1, 12/1, etc. Or you may go to your personal, player house and change to a Knight/Warrior.

-You are now a 1/1 K/W. Your warrior levels are not lost, you'll get them back when you change back to W/K, and that side will level alongside you until you catch up to it. So, you go to the second starting zone and level 2/2, 3/3, etc. As a K/W, you have access to Knight general abilities, Knight class-specific abilities, and Warrior general abilities.

The game's max level is 55/55 and they released their first expansion fairly recently, which included a new race, two new classes, a max level increase, and four new zones. The crafting is a little less than thrilling, but some enjoy it. Oh! And each class combo gets elite skills that are available only to that specific class combo every 5 levels, starting at 15. A Warrior/Knight will get abilities that a Warrior/Druid or a Warrior/Scout will never see!

This game is crazy-good fun for a f2p.Give it a shot! :P

http://us.runesofmagic.com/us/index.html

My only real complaint would be the fail of the English translations. I urge English majors and grammar nazis to stay far, far away! ^^

Saesa

10-30-2009

I haven't tried many MMO's, but I know Gates of Andaron is basically brand new, and is pretty good, a bit grindy, but definitely fun for a bit.

goofninja

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Recruiter

10-30-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyn View Post
You're all wrong!

Take a look at Runes of Magic.
no u

Blugyblug

11-04-2009

perfect world international.

Best character customization out there.
SOmething like 90 different hairstyles. 180 if you include female hairstyles. Colour is like the colour picker in photoshop, instead of like 10-20 pre-made colours.

You can fly in PW as well. You can fly EVERYWHERE and anywhere you want to unlike Aion where you can only fly in some areas. AFK travelling to distant towns ftw.

PWI Grinding > Aion Grinding.

Has pvp. (Dueling: you dont die, just a little friendly fight between 2 ppl. PK: Full on player versus player, if you die you can lose stuff.

Has guild/territory wars where you fight for land. Yes land. So when you enter a new area it says "owned by xxx" right under it and land owning guilds get monies.

Grindiness is defeinitely better than other mmos ive played. Every MMO out there has grinding except runescape.

PW world is epic. Theres actually a stickied thread in the forum called "Your most beautiful screenshots"/"your most epic screenshots"/i forgot. Community is actually really friendly compared to others.

PiE

Adjudicator

11-05-2009

ya runes of magic is wow down to almost every like detail, except it has like craftable dungeon set **** idk, i only have like a 15/15 mage preist

NaiteW

11-06-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larias View Post
World of Warcraft!

/shiftyeyes
F2P not P2P

Rohan online.
Aion online.
DDO (though it never worked on my computer for some reason.)
Guildwars
AOC

PorkNasty

11-06-2009

Quote:
Seeing how I've played WoW since launch, I know what I'm talking about when I say...

PvE: There is definitely no skill involved here. PvE in WoW has completely been trivialized by DBM / heavy mod use. There is no valid argument against this. It has gotten to a point where going through PvE content feels more like watching a colorful spreadsheet rather than playing a game.

PvP: A bit more complex, yes, but ultimately the same result. World PvP is almost non-existent, short of either the occasional guild stomping, or the lulzy takeover of Southshore. Battlegrounds were genuinely fun until the release of Wintergrasp and IoC. Wintergrasp was simply a conceptual failure, and IoC just has too much going on in it. IMO nothing beats the good ol days of WSG.

Arenas are a joke. Im sorry but they are. Blizzard has admitted that they cannot balance their classes properly so what is their answer? They effectively remove 2v2 from the equation. Aside from this, doing well in Arenas generally means picking the FotM team. Arenas also allow for easy carries.
You hit the nail on the head; WoW is nub friendly which accounts for its huge player base. As far as competitive gaming goes, it's a button jaming nub fest. A 10 yr old can pick this game up and end up with a lvl 80; my friend's GF who completely sucks at all games she touch's has made it to 80; actively participates in guild raids and is still just barely competent with a keyboard, but thanks to all mods she barely has to manually do anything. I cannot for the life of me understand how running these same old, hackneyed, skill less raids over and over again = years of entertainment. When I compare my experience with WoW to when I first picked up Ultima Online there's no comparison. The cut throat, dog eat dog, every man for himself, pk vs pkk, hideouts, houses, hoarding treasure early days of Ultima Online dwarf the button jamming/grinder/PVE raiding nub fest that is WoW. Unfortunatley we'll never see that again in the genre as the majority seem to disdain any adversity/challenge in their gaming experience.

As far as MMO's I have enjoyed recently, i can't name any; they all lack something. UO and EQ were my favorites, both required serious skills/patience to survive and to advance. That high level of difficulty IMO is what makes games great, solving the puzzle, figuring out how to deal with the challenges of survival/advancement. WoW hands it's players everything; they're spoon fed, in my opinion it's for the nubs/care bears of the gaming community.

Rayku

11-07-2009

Dragon Age: Origins...will destroy everything but not free!! -.-

Kudos

Adjudicator

11-08-2009

Quote:
Seeing how I've played WoW since launch, I know what I'm talking about when I say...

PvE: There is definitely no skill involved here. PvE in WoW has completely been trivialized by DBM / heavy mod use. There is no valid argument against this. It has gotten to a point where going through PvE content feels more like watching a colorful spreadsheet rather than playing a game.

PvP: A bit more complex, yes, but ultimately the same result. World PvP is almost non-existent, short of either the occasional guild stomping, or the lulzy takeover of Southshore. Battlegrounds were genuinely fun until the release of Wintergrasp and IoC. Wintergrasp was simply a conceptual failure, and IoC just has too much going on in it. IMO nothing beats the good ol days of WSG.
I started my WoW account in Nov 04, and played until around 8 or 9 months back (Can't remember when I stopped really.. but it was after the guild I was in got the server 3rd Yogg Saron Kill). I agree with the statements above. I think that healers at one stage probably had the hardest job in PVE. All everyone else really had to do was 'don't stand in the fire', and rely on mods to not pull aggro, or look for when to move.

But the use of mods has killed all enjoyment I got from WoW PVE. For me, nothing compares to the old days of Blackwing Lair and Molten Core without all of the aggro mods and warning mods. You had to be on your toes. Back then there was no Elitist Jerks to ensure cookie cutter max dps specs, there was no Wow Web Stats, there was no bosskillers. It was seeing what worked for your class. There was so much more experimentation, perhaps alot more wiping, but alot more satisfaction for actually clearing a place.

Even though I quit, and have no interest in going back, I haven't found a replacement that I really have enjoyed.

I tried Warhammer Online, but the servers were so dead that there was never any low level pvp, and no one to do open quests with.

I tried Champions Online, and I made alot of champions with their robust character creator, but leveling just felt so uninspired, and the PVP SUCKS.

I tried Aion, and didn't get past level 12. The game was too similar to WoW, very pretty but kinda grindy at the low levels, and all reports is, it only gets worse in the grind department.

I tried Age of Conan, and probably liked this the most out of all of the alternatives. I might have stayed with it, if I had joined a guild.