[Guide] Morgana - a Comprehensive Guide to Gameplay and Strategy

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Witch Bernkastel

08-20-2011

It always saddens me how many people are so eager to steal kills from their carries as to insist on Ignite, and are so bad at minding their positioning and determining an opportune moment to strike without an easymode button as to say Flash is an irrefutable must-get...

...Honestly, if flashing into the middle of five very scary people and causing hysteria at the expense of getting instafocused at any point before you have Hourglass is your thing, go play Fiddlesticks or something. Morgana is not a champion for players that require gimmicks to function.

tl;dr: Use Flash if it suits you, but please, please keep an open mind to other alternatives.

Apparition101

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-01-2011

Witch,
If this gets read ever I just want to say,
I learned morgana from this. I dusted her off after some Sivir and gangplank days and I've had one bad game out of over 40.
Here's to the chance to pro necro
I go flash clarity, focusing more on her AP side. Flash is more for the fiddlesticks approach of... ehm hm
BWAHAHAHAH RUN FROM ME AS I CAME FROM THE OTHER SIDE OF THE WALL WITH AN AMAZING ULT

Clarity makes it so I can still spam spells throughout the game and get some early kills quite often. It might be more of a crutch for me but to be able to stay in the lane and kill the X (Non morde/Orianna mid) player that has bought once already and I still have my boots and a potion or two is amazing.
10-0
11-1
3-7-23
I don't know why I play other champions.

Turbotroll

09-03-2011

An excellent guide! As you say, there are many alternatives and buildstyles, but the options you offer are quite solid! Have you tried running AP Morgana WITHOUT RoA?...I know it sounds utterly insane, as you become even "squishier," (I.E. less HP) but I'd like to hear your thoughts on it.

In fact, only since I've started abandoning RoA rushing have I really started to succeed; before then I'd have so-so games, some decent, many bad. My AP Morg build is thus:

Masteries 9/0/21
Runes: Spell Pen/AP/CDR
Summoners: Clairvoyance & Ghost
Core Items: Doran's Ring/Chalice of Harmony/Boots of Lucidity/Zhonya's Deathcap, Hourglass, situational AP/Defensive item.

The huge AP boost relative to going RoA translates directly into survivability thanks to Black Shield, and grabbing the Chain Shirt before the Needlessly Large Rod for Hourglass makes my fewer hit points less squishy. No mathcrafter, but with a stronger shield and better armor and magic resistance, I feel as tough as RoA Morg, with far more damage mid-late game. The rushed Chalice gives me a beastly laning phase, though I can't spam quite as much as a full RoA late-game,

I've tried Clair/Teleport and while it works, I just don't like how slow she is. Placing her ult is so much easier with some movement boost (used to run Shureliya's but it delayed my build too much with RoA...might give it a go with this build, though the early Deathcap has really made my game better. Binding hits like a truck (c: )

That said, I only offer an alternative and want to hear your thoughts on MY Morgana. Thanks for a stellar guide!

PS: Blade Mistress skin, FTW

Cauldrath

09-03-2011

It's more of a style difference. RoA gives flat health and flat mana, so it's best for someone who pops into a team fight, does their thing, then recalls back to base to fill up before heading out again. Grabbing a Chalice of Harmony runs counter to that, since it is a sustain item. You really need to feel out how much sustain vs burst you want, in both offense and defense, then itemize around that. Flat mana vs mp5 and Zhonya's vs other defensive items, for example. You might want to consider trying Frozen Heart instead of Zhonya's with that build, for example, if you like being in the fight more. If you like being on the edge of the fight, WotA is a good way to keep your health topped off.

The way I look at it, you really need 2 mana items, so grab two of these early:
Doran's Ring, Catalyst the Protector (into either), Tear of the Goddess (into Archangel's Staff), Chalice of Harmony, Mana Manipulator (into Soul Shroud), Philosopher's Stone (into either), maybe even Fiendish Tome (into Morello's Evil Tome)

You need 2 defensive items, especially AD defense, (more for a tank), which can overlap or build from the above, just so you can survive using your ult:
Rod of Ages, Zhonya's Hourglass (can make this work as your only one if you want to be glass), WotA, Spirit Visage (only if you got WotA), Frozen Heart, Soul Shroud (only if you got Frozen Heart or some other armor item), Banshee's Veil (only if you aren't the tank)

The rest should be AP, utility, or counterpicks, like:
Boots (pretty much all of them have a niche, but Ionian, Merc Treads, and Sorcerer's mostly), Rabadon's Deathcap, Void Staff, Abyssal Scepter, team aura items, more defensive items, as many Archangel's as you can afford

Turbotroll

09-03-2011

I hear you. Teleport + RoA is a fine setup and used to be my core Morg game for awhile. As you said; great for popping in and out. You've got me thinking about Frozen Heart's possibilities with Archangel's. I still feel Morgana is well served by an early Deathcap...But AA + Glacial Shroud (forgoing Chalice of Harmony) is almost as cheap as going with Zhonya's Hourglass, only with more for your buck (CDR, huge mana pool, and more AP, vs. losing 30 MR, Chalice's sustain and the Invulnerability active).

Or perhaps not - AP Morg really likes that active. Gotta playtest, I guess.

Juyen

09-04-2011

So your morg guide is pretty out dated and your strats seem sort of basic
the old build for morg, was 3 dorans rings, magic pen boots, rush tear, zonyas or just zonyas based on whether it was probably over a 30 minute game.

Since her recent buffs (sadly still not as OP as she once was)
she seems to have very solid spell vamp
your items should be:
dorans ring
dorans ring
magic pen boots
zonyas
cap
maybe abyssal, void, archangels (depends on the situation) mayb FH for tankyness

dont bother getting snare at 1 unless your team fighting
it costs more mana than its worth
level up:
level 1: pool
level 2:shield
level 3ool
level 4:snare

you dont need snare until 4 since you will probably miss and they can heal through the low harass
pool guarantees great farm and forces them to lose gold
i like getting shield and pool to 4 while leaving snare at 1
then leveling up snare to 4 and finishing the others
level 4 pool lets you take down a wave throughout first 20 minutes or more
shield will save you from ganks and help a lot with most mids

summoner spells should always be flash, ghost
with the movement speed increase and ghost, you should always b able to snare in a chase or save team with shield
flash should b used to flash into other team
there bveils, should never b up due to your snare harass
when the time is right, initiate for team
soak some ults( with shield up so you cant b silenced)
by flashing in, ulting, zonyas

these strats should allow anyone to carry until morg is nerfed again
enjoy

she's a great solo because he pool forces waves to turret so their solo gets little gold
at 6 the other solo should b at about 60% from harass
ult, pool, snare should b an ez kill against any champ

TexanGent

12-12-2011

This is fantastic! I typed out a big message then it glitched and I lost it all and I'm too lazy to type it all again haha. Thanks so much for this, can't wait to try out the tank morgana! My only request is to add a few videos showing some of the tactics in action i.e. who to use my BS on for best result in a team fight, and good angles for DS. That is honestly my biggest problem haha, just flat out don't have the experience to land my Q's like the sniper I wish I was I love my Morgana, and plan to take her all the way to 30! Thanks again, ill keep checking back in the hope for awesome updates!

Tex

PS: I guess this was in the last update, but havent been playing long enough to know for sure, but masteries have different names now from what you have. You probably know that, but an update would be very helpful to us new guys who dont always know what turned into what. Thanks!

Wyvern762

12-13-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanGent View Post
who to use my BS on for best result in a team fight
It isnt the same on every team fight, usually use it on your initiator, if u are the initiator shield self. If the enemy team intiates and their tank comes for your carry so u shield the carry.