[Guide] Morgana - a Comprehensive Guide to Gameplay and Strategy

1234567 ... 10
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Witch Bernkastel

08-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricklessabandon View Post
i believe that a guide should be written as a solid foundation to players, and that the most effective way to do that is write what you know. so my suggestion would be to play around with morg, entertaining new ideas and tactics, and see how your own play evolves. if you're unable to make an aggressive morgana work, but know that it is done successfully, then i'd keep at it until you're able to figure out what makes and breaks that play style. once you're comfortable with the material, i'd write what you know into the guide--make a new iteration that's improved with your most current insight.

also, wouldn't it seem odd to have a comprehensive guide link externally?
The only reason I would link externally is that while I was writing this guide, I managed to find the forum's per-post character limit, and in the event that incorporating a sufficiently detailed section on playing aggressively as Morgana broke that limit, I would have to post it as a reply in this thread instead of in the main body.

Since this is meant to be a comprehensive guide, and a more aggressive playstyle is more of a mentality shift than anything, rather than rewrite the old information (which I feel is not 'incorrect' for playing defensively) with new material I would like to dedicate a separate section to aggressive style, or at the very least make distinctions within the main body of the guide between what I'm recommending for defensive play and what I'm recommending for aggressive play.

I've decided that I'll fit everything that I can into the main guide, and maybe cut out some of the more verbose parts if I start to run into problems with the character limit.

zebano

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Bernkastel View Post
An important thing to factor into this guide is that I place very little emphasis on killing enemy champions outside of teamfights or ganks. I place greater emphasis on keeping your survivability up while simply harassing your opponent in 1v1 situations. Making kills is nice and all, but gunning for them has a tendency to make people greedy, which can end up in death very easily at just the slightest mistake. Regardless of how good she may actually be at it, Morgana is not in her nature a killer champion - she's a supporter.
First off you don't need to get kills. Forcing someone to go back to their fountain is in fact a victory for your side. Evading a gank when mid comes to your lane is another small victory since their mid isn't getting experience.

Dimensionist

08-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebano View Post
First off you don't need to get kills. Forcing someone to go back to their fountain is in fact a victory for your side. Evading a gank when mid comes to your lane is another small victory since their mid isn't getting experience.
this +1

I second this 100%. There are advantages and disadvantages to everything and just because something is frowned upon or is not considered beneficial doesn't automatically mean anything.

On the subject of solo mid and using soil to push the enemy champ to the tower has the following advantages:

1. you are slowly but surely chipping away at the tower because of your minions.

2. It allows you breathing room, you can easily push a wave and while the opposing champ is dealing with it you can look for an opportunity to gank. This constant harassing also means that the opposing champ is going to be more hesitant to leave the lane to gank one of your teammates in fear of losing the tower.

3. If you're concerned about getting ganked there's something called map awareness, you see mias on the mini map you retreat a little and *gasp* those champs wasted gold and experience and weren't able to gank you another win.

4. Everytime you push a wave towards the tower you can either harass them or better yet retreat a little and go farm three of the neutrals which will yield about 90 gold then go back to mid and the minions are in the middle again. Do this three times and you have nearly the equivelant of a champion kill.

5. also pushing a wave to their tower can often times provide the perfect amount of time to go snag golem if it's available.

Of course their are risks that can turn out to your advantage using map awareness, allows you more options, more breathing room, etc.

Solo Mid Morg ftw.

yellowfrog

08-05-2010

I like to mid as Morg whenever I can.

I use TS to push often. I end up on their side on the tower quite often. I have a passive playstyle, I'm really just focusing on placing TS where the enemy is standing and where I can hit the most creeps trying to focus on getting last hits and forcing the enemy out of position.

I don't think pushing hard is that big of a problem. Just make sure that you keep as escape option open and an eye out for MIAs top and bot.

Clearing creep waves to their tower quickly means you can land harass binds THAT much easier. Morgana always harasses very well against tower huggers however her biggest weakness is that she can't do jack against the tower itself.

She has extremely strong lane presence and staying power with spell vamp. If I'm getting low on mana, like 1/4 or so, I just sit back and regen while last hitting creeps, this often pushes the minions back to my tower but that's no big deal. Morgana can dictate the position of the creep waves extremely well.

I don't play high elo so I like to go strong AP route rather than support. I do often have the upper hand against most mid opponents, including Vlad. He can't harass Morg that well since she simply regens any damage taken from TS. At level 6, bind, soil, ult, and ignite and opposing mid is often done for.

I'm not sure why more builds don't focus on CDR, especially for beginning Morg players where landing skill shots is problematic. More CDR = more shots fired.

She does have some mana issues early on so on my first port back (try to do this after killing opponent) upgrade my starting meki pendant to a Chalice and boots 1. Chalice gives really good regen and some magic res. Later on, you can sell this once you have a large mana pool.

Basic build order:
meki pendant, 1 health pot, 1 mana pot
Chalice, boots 1
Mejai, sorc boots
fiendish codex
Kage's pick
DFG
ruby crystal
build ROA

After that, more survivability items like GA to protect stacks.

Running Ghost and Ignite.
Ghost to get me into position or escape quickly since Morg is slow. Ignite because I play to kill.

If my team is good I find I end up with more assists than kills, which is fine, just don't get as many stacks quickly. Morgana is perfectly capable of taking down enemies herself though.

DFG is an amazing tool to her nuking arsenal. Especially with golem buff, I won't hesitate to spam my ult to get a kill even against a single target.

Good use of binding and BS defines who she is, it's awesome to fire a bind across trees to land on a vlad just coming out of a blood pool and having your team jump him or to block Ashe's giant arrow/blitz grab with BS.

Dimensionist

08-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricklessabandon View Post
number 1 is true, but i think it's not worth it. it's safer just to plow through the tower as a team after the first side lane drops and not put yourself at risk during the laning phase. you don't want to be the one to kickstart the other team snowballing you.

number 2 and 3 directly conflict with each other. if anything, you want the other champ to leave to go gank while you're alive. you can give a proper mia, keep your allies safe, and then make the call to keep leveling/farming, get golem, or attempt to assassinate him. either way, the other champ leaving the lane without killing you first puts you at an advantage in every way other than a lack of intel. you don't want to be the one that's putting the other mid in a more powerful position.

as for numer 4, you're better able to harass while closer to your tower. as for phantom killing, that's usually less of option since you don't want to deny your jungler of xp. if you don't have a jungler, then it's okay to get the phantoms when they're up, especially if you've not been pushing with soil, because then you're going from good creep placement to neutral creep placement, and not worsening an already bad creep placement.

number 5 only works if you have smite, have help, you have teleport, or the other person is a bad pusher. morgana doesn't take very long to kill golem, but the travel time is enough to make it a bad idea unless the killing of golem is trivial. i generally would only do this after i kill the other mid (similar to what annie does when she hits 6).

the things you're bringing up aren't morgana specific, it's just not great in general.
You do make some valid points but I wouldn't say this is how it should go for most or all games. I use my own reasoning and caution. Sometimes it is beneficial to leave mid before killing them sometimes it's not. Sometimes it's beneficial for them to leave mid before they've killed you sometimes it's not.

I mean yes in a solid 5v5 premade game where everyone is on vent and are high ELO what you say here would apply moreso.

Let's face it though most of us do solo queue. I can be solo mid and I would say "annie mia" a little bit of time goes by and I say "annie STILL MIA" ten seconds later annie scores a double kill.

I of course don't mean push to tower reach level 2 go get golem. Usually around levels 7 or 8 (if i have the opportunity) and yes I do run Ghost and Teleport on my morgana since she's severely lacking in mobility. Another great benefit is if it's a champ like Ashe, TF, Sivir, Gangplank, Ezrael, I use soil to clear minion wave and minions push to tower, now they can last hit at tower but they won't get nearly all of them while I'm gaining greater experience.

Not to mention while they are tower hugging I can safely land a soil on them to further harass them, that forces them to reposition, look they just two minions in the process. I do this enough they may have to go back to base and heal up. Furthermore, sometimes this forces one of their side laners to come help mid but I'm already a couple levels ahead so I can harass them even easier.

We can sit here and talk about the application/consequences etc but to actually see and do this in a game to view the real results is a whole different matter altogether.

As morgana I prefer to push them to tower using soil. That's what works best for me and I do a good job of avoiding ganks. I'm extra careful if they have a jungler and/or a shaco but if I'm aggressive enough I will level quickly and not lose life, so it won't be easy to gank me and I have good map awareness.

Have you ever gone mid as a morgana and if so how often?

Mandos Exhumed

08-07-2010

I've been playing a lot of Nassus and just recently started playing Morgana and I've found the guide really helpful, so thanks! There are some obvious parallels between the two - soil and spirit fire creep farming along with a snare - but they also diverge in important ways as well - ranged targeted snare, ranged attacks, and black shield. Learning to use the snare and shield effectively certainly makes Morgana a more difficulty champ to run.

I haven't had a chance to mid much, but I love to 1v2 lane with her just as with Nassus. It is strange, but I find people have been more willing to get aggressive with me and die to snare+soil+tower than when I play Nassus. Anyone else find this?

As for the general discussion of tower pushing (be it with soil/sf/...whatever the hero), I find that your level of aggression depends on a lot of factors. 1v2 I just hang out by my tower and capitalize on their mistakes/wait on jungle ganks. If I'm mid on Nassus (I assume it is similar on morgana), I'm willing to push more if there is good team coordination and use of wards/clairty. I can usually get a lot of damage on tower this way. I generally don't feel threatened mid by much when I have snare/ghost/clarity/... up, and if I keep enough distance between myself and my mid opponent, they can't easily 2v1 me. If you see your opponent getting aggressive and pushing you, its a decent idea to pull back in case a gank is coming. As for ganking from your own team, its not hard to coordinate by backing off and letting them push up. If someone is planning on ganking, you should communicate enough before hand to know its going to happen anyway.

I understand that generally it is a good idea to promote caution and conservative play under certain conditions: you don't know your team, you sense that their team is very well coordinated and you don't have much map vision, you don't know your hero well or have a sense of your limitations, your opponents (be it mid or another lane) seem stronger than you. However, I think there are times where you can make an informed judgment to put pressure on their tower.

DisFuRiteHur

08-07-2010

This build seems to be working for me (in low-mid elo? Whatever 1621 ELO in normal games are..):

Core:
Rush Archangel's Staff and Sorc Boots (or Merc depending on other team).
Rylai's Scepter for some survivability and a nice slow debuff, keep people in soil longer. (Does it stack with mutiple spells?)

Rest depends on the situation. I usually end up getting a Guardian Angel along with some other tanky/CDR item if the game lasts long enough. While the damage output is higher if you go AP, you're useless to the team if you can't survive long enough to get more than one round of your spells off. (Well.. not as useful imo)

I've been winning a lot more games lately with this build.. maybe MM was being nice to me?

Baltic Fleet

08-07-2010

Nice guide, you are truly the witch of miracles

Picklesnshakes

08-07-2010

I find Morgana too slow to lane middle initially. You should have a ranged carry on your team anyways, and they should generally be taking mid--not support.

Eviant

08-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisFuRiteHur View Post
This build seems to be working for me (in low-mid elo? Whatever 1621 ELO in normal games are..):

Core:
Rush Archangel's Staff and Sorc Boots (or Merc depending on other team).
Rylai's Scepter for some survivability and a nice slow debuff, keep people in soil longer. (Does it stack with mutiple spells?)
For the slow, it is the highest slow that takes precedence, though it doesn't remove the other slow. So for simplicity sake, here is the example. Nasus uses wither, giving a 20% slow (Don't know the numbers, just using this for an example), which raises by 6% per second, Lasting 5 seconds. Meanwhile Twitch casts off a 35% slow for 3 seconds, on the same target. So what happens is, target is slowed for 35% for 3 seconds, then Nasus' slow kicks in for it's remaining duration of 5 seconds, slowing for 38% and 42% respectively. Had Twitches slow lasted 5 seconds, after the third second, when Nasus' slow became stronger, it would register Nasus' slow instead of Twitch's. Does that make sense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picklesnshakes View Post
I find Morgana too slow to lane middle initially. You should have a ranged carry on your team anyways, and they should generally be taking mid--not support.
And Mid is playable by a variety of champs. Most common are the carries, however champs that can deny enemy carries the gold and exp can be just as effective and often times more detrimental to the opposing team.

As for mid Morgana, I find that it works well. as with a mana regen item, she can keep her health high, deny the enemy champ, and if played well, even take the enemy champ one on one, for a kill, via a multitude of paths. I myself have killed many enemies simply because they ventured too close and I caught them with a snare combo.

Now getting to the real point of this post. I have a suggestion for the skill build, and a couple for items. First off, holding off on the black shield may be a poor idea, even if you aren't fighting many casters, as the shields duration grows to a total of 8 seconds, at rank 5, giving your Carry one hell of a CC repellent, plus a minimum of 300 damage protection, allowing your shield to last longer. And with some spells turning to physical damage, it can last longer as a CC repellent.

Items, I usually start with a mana manipulator, as it provides the same mana regen, builds into soul shroud, and affects your allies as well. Plus, it really helps to speed along the item build. I realized this after watching an opposing morgana fall in step behind me in playing support, and being unable to catch up.

Two, as a support, the sooner you can get your items the better, and seeing as you will be living off of farmed gold and assists, picking up HoG or Kage's lucky pick can really help you to keep up the flow of gold, allowing you to pick up the essential stuff that much sooner. Bonus is, KLP add's 25 ability power, and HoG adds Health and Armor, making either one of them suitable for the builds.

Edit: Just wanted to mention, I like the build for summoner spells. A quick Question though. If no one picks Tele, should I go with Tele as a summoner spell or Clairovoyance? I keep Clarity as it allows me to hold off on Nearly all Mana regen items, save for those already in my build. (Plus it's nice to use Clarity on someone trying to gank you, and watching their rages in chat after you slaughter them XD) Reason for asking is, I always did have a hard time figuring out the second summoner spell, and I like both of your suggestions lol

1234567 ... 10