Dominion Hidden Elo System & Matchmaking

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

jaded0ne

02-20-2012

**Forgive me if this subject has been previously addressed in other threads**

My current hidden dominion elo is ~1800 with roughly 300 wins and 550 total games played. As of late I have committed to taking dominion seriously enough to try and reach top level elo and start applying for teams that compete in NESL events. But I often find myself dragging a heavy boat anchor.

After each dominion game ends, I thoroughly look at who I am paired with/against (via game summary and jabebot). Their wins/losses, builds, hidden elo, etc. It seems there is a pattern that every third game or so i get paired up with certain players that have very similar elo to myself but have drastically less wins/total games played (i.e. 40-80 wins). Sometimes its just one player and sometimes its multiple players. About 95% of the time the skillgap is significant; a weak link can be devastating in dominion, more so than in summoners rift where one person can be completely carried (my opinion). Not always, but for the most part everyone in dominion has to pull their own weight.

So, with that said, here is my question:

How can matchmaking determine certain players with similar elo to be a good match considering they have a significantly different number of overall wins/games played?

I can understand a differential of 100 games or less for pairings, but a player with 50 wins and a player with 300 wins is apples to oranges, regarless of what the elo system says their ratings are.

The way I see it, you should always be paired with players within +/-100 of your current elo with a similar number wins/losses. As your elo rating changes (be it up or down), matchmaking continually adjusts your pairings accordingly. Now I do understand as you peak into the upper echelon of elo, the number of games played become less and less an issue -- but as it currently stands in upper-mid tier elo, games played can have a significant impact on the outcome of a match. To me it seems Riot could easily remedy this with a few minor tweaks in the matchmaking process, which might result in a small sacrifice of longer que times to garner more accurately balanced teams.

If anyone can shed some light on this for me I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

jaded0ne

02-21-2012

EDIT: May I request this gets the attention of a Red

This is proof of what I am talking about. This screenshot was taken just a couple hours after I made this post. I was paired up with a nidalee with 14 wins. How does this happen Riot?? All she did was run around back capping the entire game which we all know causes defeat. I was Ryze on bot and spent the entire game from the first few minutes fighting 1v2 or 1v3 due to this. I would greatly appreciate some feedback from a Red on this.

KrYoS

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-21-2012

Welcome to my world, only worse. I've gone from 1855 to 1550 ELO since the Ziggs patch came out. Before, I was getting matched with similar ELO players, but since then, I get matched with people as much as 200 less ELO and very few wins. So count yourself lucky. I play a lot of solo queue in the mornings and the players seem to be just terrible, most of them. I've gotten to where I just started trying new champs and builds because even when I play my "mains" and go like 22-8-12, I still seem to lose. MM definitely got some tweaks, all for the worse, since the ziggs patch. I've had an 11 loss streak, a couple of 5 or 6 loss streaks, and very few good win streaks. I figure that being a tryhard is getting me nowhere lately, so I might as well just work on other champs while waiting for ranked. Sucks, but welcome to Riot's MM system.

Geryth

02-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaded0ne View Post
This is proof of what I am talking about.
I get your point somewhat, but that game was more about the fact you let them have poppy and rammus than anything else.

Some people just get on a winning streak in their early games and with the big point swings you get with less than 20 games, it's easy to shoot way up where you don't belong. It happens at times but it's not a huge occurrence. The main issue is that things even out by sample size, but dominion is significantly played less than SR and is a little more chaotic with these wacky matchups.

A small solution that I think should be done is to have a longer "placement" period where there are no elo gains at all, you just play about 20 matches with an assumed 1200 and THEN give maybe a plus or minus 50-75 depending on how they did and move at the normal 11-13 from there. This will prevent people from getting 1750 elo by winning 4 games in a row by getting carried by luck when they are really 1300 players. The downside is that smurfs will be a bit more of a problem for the 1300-1600 range but I think that's the lesser of two evils.

Geryth

02-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaded0ne View Post
The way I see it, you should always be paired with players within +/-100 of your current elo with a similar number wins/losses. As your elo rating changes (be it up or down)
Ideally we would love that, but do you have any idea how long you'd be waiting for a game to start? I already wait 5-10 minutes as it is, and that's WITH getting people in my games from 1600 to 2300.

The only solution is to get more people to play dominion, and that's not going to happen without statistics or ranked.

FOODFOOD

02-21-2012

I'm confused (and new to dominion).

How do you guys know your dominion elo?

iProbie

02-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOODFOOD View Post
I'm confused (and new to dominion).

How do you guys know your dominion elo?
add JabeBot into your friendlist
then message the JabeBot in chat using the command: "!pstats <summoner name>"

e.g. !pstats iProbie
then Jabebot will show data regarding the player, including dominion elo

AbsolutePK

02-21-2012

I've taken a few shots and edited in the elo/w/l over the names too.

Took more, but wanted to play instead of spending 15 minutes in MSPaint, then left it there for so long that Jabebotting them now and editing in the w/l and elo this long after the game just seems stupid.

1st is fairly old, was against a premade.
2nd was fairly even save for that random 40 games played Heimer.
3rd... I don't even know why the **** I got put in that game.

FOODFOOD

02-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by iProbie View Post
add JabeBot into your friendlist
then message the JabeBot in chat using the command: "!pstats <summoner name>"

e.g. !pstats iProbie
then Jabebot will show data regarding the player, including dominion elo
Oh that's too cool!

I bet mine sucks balls.

Ahlen

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-21-2012

Whenever me + a friend who duo que would get up to the 1800/1900's, we'd start getting matched with really really bad players.

I've come under the conspiracy theory that when you start to do well, it tries to match you with crappy players in the hopes you'll carry them up.

This has happened so much recently that I've stopped playing.