Skarner still viable as a jungler?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The Last Squidy

02-20-2012

Is skarner still good for jungling or has the change to the jungle creeps made him ineffective? If you think he is still a viable option what would your build and strategy look like?

Stevefin

02-20-2012

As far as I see. they nerfed his buff that was needed to make him playable. for some unknown reason. so no. he is not good anymore

cookehz

02-20-2012

Quote:
As far as I see. they nerfed his buff that was needed to make him playable. for some unknown reason. so no. he is not good anymore
What? Skarner is god-tier jungle right now iirc. He can easily faceroll a team with solid ganks. Just get level 2 and hit a pushed lane. Press QQ (ironic huh?) and the enemy is slowed and Skarner will autoattack him to pieces. Ez.

I'd recommend a standard tanky jungle build with him - Merc Treads, Wriggle's, Warmog's/Frozen Mallet, Atma's, Tri Force, and your choice of offensive/defensive item 6th.

As for strategy, grab your blue buff, gank at level 2 for a kill, get red buff. Rinse and repeat.

Hyosun

02-20-2012

lolz... Skarner is a ****ing beast. The buffs he got put him into the highest tier of junglers and the new jungle only made him better because he clears so fast. Personally I love a good one on my team because he gimps important targets and has such a strong teamfight potential. Aoe slow... HELLOOO!? Let's not forget his damage. So high for someone so tanky.

I don't play much Skarner but irrc he would need philo for sustain in the jungle ( for both hp and mp ). He would also need to build shureliyas because it's really got everything you want. A little defense, cooldown reduction, and an incredible active that synergizes well with with his ms buff and his ult. That way you don't always have to rely on flash to instagib their carry.

I suppose then it's really up to you with your core of Shureliyas, Trinity and boots. If you can manage a atmogs then that's great news... but that is pretty expensive. For defensive purposes you could always get frozen heart for the cooldown reduction and armor.

If you wanted to some magic resist, I think wit's end would be a great choice as you're always attacking anyway. His cooldowns lower the more you hit so not getting attack speed is a huge error imo. On hit damage, attack speed and magic resist. What's not to like? Force of Nature might be worth trying for the extra movespeed and extra MR.

But really if I were to try out Skarner seriously I'd get Shureliyas, Treads, Trinity force, wit's end and frozen heart.

The Last Squidy

02-20-2012

Thanks for the input everyone I've always loved how Skarner looked and played ever since they released him I've just recently become decent at jungling though so I was worried he wouldn't be a viable option.

Hyosun

02-20-2012

Naw he's awesome. Just note though that if I see you on the enemy team I know you're going for blue. I'm not a good jungler yet but a good one will take your wraiths or red buff with the help of his team. I think a Shaco or Lee would be able to b/c they are not blue-dependant. Since your Q and W give you bruiser like qualities most will not try to kill you. But if they do it would be pretty simple to have your mid secure a kill since you are permaslowing them.

Anyway, try to get the support to watch the entrance of your jungle by wraiths.

Haunchbones

02-20-2012

Omg mana costs increased so much cant spam w all across the map anymore qq not viable

SteamyPunkPanda

02-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevefin View Post
Skarner is probably in my opinion the best jungler. He has lifesteal off the bat which works well for the entire jungle. I personally go hybrid with him. I start with Madreds, then I go hextech. I use Mobility for boots and from there just base it on what you need? Tanky/AP or Tanky/AD or just AP or AD. Up to you. Or just straight up hybrid which is my personal favorite. Once I get my Madreds and Gunblade, I almost never die. This is just my opinion. I am also just a decent jungler with a lot of champs though.

SavageWolves

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-21-2012

One word of advice: Ashe is really annoying when you are playing skarner.

There are only a few champs that skarner can't 1 v 1 early in the jungle, making him a strong counter jungler as well (aka don't 1 v 1 udyr, ww (not sure w/ new changes)).

Also, Skarner needs no dps items besides shen -> trinity (If playing competitively, that is). When you dive the enemy team for the carry, you need to be able to absorb damage. (Besides the fact that his damage is insane with trinity anyways). Wriggles is often a luxury I don't get to go for over the sustain for my mana w/ philo and sheen when my mid is using the blue buffs. If my mid is not blue dependent, then I am free to go wriggles.

Chase Meee

02-21-2012

yea