Really big noob....please help with Alistar items

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Th3 Gate Keeper

02-20-2012

I just started 2 weeks ago. I tried out Alistar and did really good, my best yet. I always score second on the team minimum.

So I jumped the gun and bought him, beside the high difficulty level, I find he suits me.

I'm really bad at which items to make. I make random combinations ans sometimes they work and other times they don't.

The guides confuse me. They build Alistar on magic resist but should I be working more on Armor, max health and health regen?

So what stats should I reinforce and what items would help me?

urmamasllama

02-20-2012

build a balance of armor MR and hp just full tank items

frozen heart odyns banshees and randuins should be your core

Cauldrath

02-20-2012

The key to building a good tank is to look at the kind of damage being output and counter it:

For armor, Frozen Heart or Warden's Mail against on-hit (yes, even though it's magic damage, reducing attack speed also reduces their damage), Thornmail against AD auto-attackers, Sunfire Cape otherwise, because you get health and armor in one slot.

For MR, Odyn's Veil if they have a Void Staff, Abyssal Scepter if you want to do some more damage and no one else built it.

Build an Aegis if you have squishies that are taking too much damage. Aegis is a good item on some tanky dps, though, so make sure they aren't building it before you do.

Make sure you build a mix of health and mitigation, as well.

Don't be scared to just grab a Giant's Belt or a Negatron Cloak and let it sit there if that's what you need. I see too many tanks who die instantly because they have no MR or no health because they are too busy trying to finish one of their big items.

Doran's Shields are good starting items because even mages are going to be doing a lot of autoattacks at the first windmill fight and these give quick, cheap health and armor, plus the health regen has some small value that early on. Just sell them later when you need the slots and shore up your defenses with some MR ASAP.

Sheen is actually a good choice on a lot of tanks because they use their abilities so often and you get a significant offense increase for little investment.

Makestro

02-20-2012

look at the other teams items and go from there, add a little ap after your first or second tanky item. You don't always need to rush a full item, sometimes components work just fine, for example: a warden's mail is just fine if you find yourself needing another item asap and want to hold off on the Randuin's. Or just building an negatron cloak or 2 then building them into something down the road.

I try to get myself health, health regen, and resistance on full tank, but lately I'll add a blasting wand mid game so I do a little more damage and turn it into something if I'm still tanking fine or just hold off on it if I find myself needing more health and resistances.

anyways, the best thing to do is try stuff out and see what works, for me when I get armor items I normally stick to just frozen heart and warden's mail/randuin's omen because I find the attack speed reduction screws over ad carries harder than thornmail. For MR I normally get a QSS if they're cc heavy and Force of Nature because well it has health regen and mr what are 2 important things to a tank imo, honorable mention going out to abyssal scepter if we're an ap heavy team. For health there is the good ole fashion giants belt, that can be turned into a number of things depending on how you play, if you find yourself meleeinga lor a frozen mallet is nice but I tend to like the crystal scepter more. One item that is always good no matter what is the aegis, probably the best item in the game imho, although I don't build it every game.

Darmival

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-20-2012

Boots of choice+Sheen(into tri force later if you are owning)+tanky counter items.

alistar is a simple build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cauldrath
Build an Aegis if you have squishies that are taking too much damage. Aegis is a good item on some tanky dps, though, so make sure they aren't building it before you do.
If you didn't know. two aegis auras do stack just like how stark's used to [ unless it has changed recently ]

Cauldrath

02-20-2012

They do stack to some extent, but the second isn't as cost-effective as the first.

DramaticBear

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-20-2012

He can pretty much build anything and do alright.

Except attack speed, he doesn't need that.

Bl00dHawk

02-20-2012

If you just want to tank, CDR is better than pure tankiness in Alistar's case. Luckily, Frozen Heart is one of the best tank items you can get, giving you CDR and armor and an ASPD debuff. Combined with CDR boots, you'll be good. For MR, Odyn's and Abyssal are both mentioned good choices.

If you want to do be able to do dmg and be feared (so they want to focus you instead of trying to ignore you and get to your teammates), Triforce is good, but maybe get a Glacial Shroud at least before finishing it (start with Sheen). Brutalizer > Youmou's will give you more CDR and ArPen to cow punch people in the face. Aegis at some point is always good and maybe get Merc's or Zerker's with this sort of build.