Bot Lane is the "Support" of Dominion

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Yetis In Need

02-19-2012

I write this as someone who usually plays on EU servers at around 2k elo, though I dabble a bit on US side Dominion as well. Why am I writing this on the US forum? Exposure to people who actually design the game.

I dread getting bot lane. It's like playing support on SR, or playing one of those horrible farm-off tops like Nasus vs Galio. Even if your opponent actually chooses to engage you, you still get very little out of it, both as a team and as a player looking for something fun.

Firstly, there's the issue of pushing in general. Unless your lane opponent is completely zoned, you are going to push at a very slow rate. It's more than likely that by the time your wave hits the enemy tower, not only is your opponent going to be cleaning it, but they might have called for help for someone and you'll get ganked for being "overextended".

If you do manage to hit their point, 1v1 on a point is dreadfully in their favour. There's nobody to channel the tower hits away from you, so the opponent is safe unless, again, you're dominating them. So you've got to throw minions at them, and the picks for Dom bot lane are generally capable of handling 3 minions without much hassle fairly quickly in the game.

Garrison really isn't an offensive option here, I've tried it and it still won't make diving significantly easier, not to mention that to fight them on their point, you not only need to control their health relic, but also be wary of reinforcements, again.

Not only this but if you're at their point, there's nobody around to defend your own. If you actually succeed if getting to their point, there's a decent chance you can get backdoored yourself, and any advantage you may get assuming you take their point is mitigated.

This is ignoring the issue of Revive, which is common from pretty much 2k upwards. Even if you manage to get a kill, you've got the same player coming back at you with 400 more hp. Now if you beat them the first time without losing any health, good luck, but it's more likely you took some damage and aren't fit to fight them 1v1 again.

And even if you get past all of this, and take a point? Good luck holding it. You're right up beside their spawn, and the best you provide is a distraction for a minute while they take you on with 3 or 4 people, absolutely nuke you down, take the point, and then switch back to Windmill.

This isn't to say you aren't achieving anything; you get an advantage out of laning bot successfully, but I personally do not find it particularly enjoyable; the biggest points of interest are ganks (which you run from if they're ganking you, no questions asked, or engage on if you're ganking them, no questions asked), but other than that you are stuck in a fairly boring push war that, unless you completely dominate your opponent, is just going to involve you sitting in a fairly mindless back and forth for 15-25 minutes.

So having written all this, suggestions? Is there a way of making bot more interesting? If you play a lot of Dominion bot, why do you like to do so and what is it about it that makes it enjoyable? Do you have any ideas on how to make bot lane count, as opposed to a minor distraction every 10ish minutes when the stars align enough for you to take a point?

AbsolutePK

02-19-2012

Cap bot then leave.

Sure your team may yell at you, but it'll be more interesting than fighting minions.

Or the only thing I can say is take up a champion that can handle being super aggressive bottom lane. Gragas, Yorick, Graves, Shen, Rumble, etc.

Yes, bot lane can be pretty much equated to "cap and forgot you even had a 5th champion" to your teammates, but if you're better than the enemy bot and are able to force them to call for help, that's less problems they have to deal with on top.

It's a tedious job and people hardly even remember you were even in their game, but you shouldn't feel useless for playing bottom lane.

TheAncalagon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-19-2012

I enjoy botlane on dominion. You have to play the right champs, though, and you should know beforehand who will be botlane.

I rarely fail with Morgana, Sivir, and Ryze. With Morg, you get innate sustain and push power. With Sivir, you get insane push. With Ryze, you're pretty strong at about level 4 and get to stack up your tear pretty easily. I don't own Yorick, but he destroys everything bot.

Get promote on all three. You have two main goals as bot.

1) To not lose your own point - that's a pretty boring goal.

2) To distract attention from top/bait a gank. (With the expectation that your team will do something with the 4v3 up top). This usually involves capping their bot point.

BTDubs, Heimer bot is overrated. Play Sivir and destroy him. His skills are well telegraphed - so enjoy the free mana. Your AAs should be able to take down his turrets pretty easy once you farm up a BF sword item. (Yes - farming's important, too)

DivineBovine

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-19-2012

If you enjoy bot lane, get a partner who enjoys Ganking bot lane too :3!

Good ganking means they have to reshift champions to deal with not one, but two champions

Kedali

02-19-2012

Ya, bot lane sucks. Matches generally start with all 5 people sitting at the top of the base in a silent contest of wills watching the clock and waiting to see who breaks first and goes bot. You get the least action, the least points, and often have the least impact.

While it is certainly possible to dominate bot lane and carry the game, bot lane champs tend to be so good at clearing waves that it just stalemates with both people sitting safely out of range wiping the minions without really doing anything.

I could see it being more interesting in a premade with strategies that make it more exciting, but for solo queue, it sucks.

Makestro

02-19-2012

i love playing bot

Basoosh

02-19-2012

In my experience, the answer completely varies depending on a player's Elo.

Until the 1800 range, there's nowhere else I'd rather be than bot. Ganks from the other team are pretty rare, allowing you to play very aggressive and push. And when people do come to gank, they often don't use the fog of war correctly. There's also very little (if any) Revive, which turns a bot lane kill into a neutralize or capture. If you're noticeably better than your opponent or get a good matchup, you will run them over and be a huge menace. There's nowhere better to carry a game from than the bottom lane.

Around 1800+ is where I found it to become very stalemate-ish. People are forced to play more careful, as ganks are continually going on and players really start to maximize the Fog of War. Your primary goal at that point is to hold your node without dying. The recent US meta seems to be shifting away from this a bit, but I think it is still quite strong to send someone bot lane, get farmed up, then swap later on. Halfway decent last hitting can get you a really nice gold advantage.

larkhill

02-19-2012

i play bot lane dom BECAUSE its a lot like support but i actually get to do something...

Rebonack

02-19-2012

I do enjoy running bot lane. Usually as AD Malz. It gets some weird looks, but I honestly can't complain about the results.

When I take the enemy bot I'll usually sit there being obnoxious unless one of two things happens.

1) I see someone head past me into the jungle. They're probably going to try to back cap. I park myself in the bot brush so that I'm in range to disrupt them regardless of where they go.

2) Two or more foes show up to run me off. Sometimes three is required depending on who I'm facing. They show up to cap the point and I derp on back to my side. I just managed to pull two (or more) enemy players off top, removing pressure so my team can take or hold a point better.

That's what bot is for. A distraction. And if your team takes bot and then holds the jungle path right above bot? That can cause a huge head-ache for the enemy team.

EDIT according to JabeBot I'm apparently 2k Elo. Now I just feel silly.

Kiddalee

02-19-2012

You don't need to take the enemy bottom every time. Sometimes nearly doing so is enough to make him call help down. If you do take it, you don't have to hold it if you can't. Even if you b immediately, those few seconds having bottom will still work against the enemy Nexus, and again you might cause two people to come take it back; at the very least, the time the enemy spends retaking his bottom might be your only chance to b in the face of his pushing.

Depending on the matchup, you may not be fighting a pushing war either. If you run an assassin you might just kill the enemy outright and take his point without having to push. There are non-assassins who do this, too. AoE hurts minions and the enemy pusher at the same time.

I think bottom in Dominion is much funner and more versatile than support in Classic. In Classic, supports are only allowed to do one thing or they get flamed. Some characters are forced to support even though they can play other roles; it occasionally happens to Dominion bottoms but more often people keep an open mind or just don't flame as much. The Dominion bottom is less team-reliant than the Classic support; if your team setup isn't working, you can always switch.

I think if you start playing bottom willingly, instead of avoiding it, you will learn a rare, vital skill and it will be funner than you'd assumed. Kinda like Classic support.