It's too hard for Mages to hit 40% cdr cap

12345 ... 6
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ryzol Ryzo Ryz R

02-19-2012

Mages are a weak class partly because of the strength of AD casters and assassins, and also due to the expensive cost of their best items, and the lack of cdr provided by blue buff.

Being able to hit the 40% cdr cap is very important for ability dependent champions. This is further exacerbated by many AP carries being ult dependent. While mages can build cdr items this detracts from building Rabadon's which is a very important mage item.

Cdr mage items:
ionian boots - 15%
kindlegem - 10%
DFG - 15%
Morello's Tome - 20%
Runes - 5%
21 offense - 4%
9 offense 21 utilty - 10%

The cheapest way to hit 40% cdr on a mage is to go 21 utility, and bring cdr runes for 15%. This leaves a 25% gap which requires 2 items to hit the 40% cap. If 2 cdr items are bought this strongly delays building important items like Rabadon's, RoA, or Abyssal Scepter.

Volandum

02-19-2012

You could go 9 offense 21 defense for scaling CDR.

lbgsloan

02-19-2012

This is the reason I've started running most mages with a high CDR rune build. It sucks to give up the AP from your glyphs and quints, but higher CDR > slightly more damage in the end on Dominion. It's fine on mage tanks who can build the excellent Glacial Shroud/Frozen Heart, but the lack of blue buff and blue elixers really sucks for others.

It would be nice to see one more mid-range CDR/AP item. Sweeper is nice, but you're paying a slight premium for the stealth detection. What if they added like 10% CDR to the Haunting Guise and adjusted the cost or other stats accordingly? It would make the item much more appealing in all game modes, and give mages more options.

02-19-2012

9-0-21 with CDR blues and one or two quints + morellos/FH = 40% cdr. Not hard at all.

Cauldrath

02-19-2012

My current build flow chart says, at the very top: does this character have mana? Build Glacial Shroud. I also get 10% from runes+masteries (well, 9.56%). So you need 20% to reach the cap. Ionion Boots or DFG and you're at 35%, which is generally good enough, finish Frozen Heart and you're at the cap.

For mana-based AP casters, I pretty much use 2 builds: (obviously won't usually finish these and will change order to suit the situation, throw in a Void Staff, or whatever)
1. (for CDR ASAP) Fiendish Codex, Sorc Shoes, Glacial Shroud, Rylai's, Negatron Cloak, DFG, Abyssal Scepter, WotA, Frozen Heart
2. Prospector's Ring, Ionion Boots, Glacial Shroud, Rylai's, Abyssal Scepter, WotA, Frozen Heart

Risemix

02-19-2012

Is 9/0/21 a good mage build on Dominion?

I find that a lot of the bonuses in the utility tree are less meaningful due to the map's mechanics. I agree that mages aren't very good on Dominion, incidentally.

02-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risemix View Post
Is 9/0/21 a good mage build on Dominion?

I find that a lot of the bonuses in the utility tree are less meaningful due to the map's mechanics. I agree that mages aren't very good on Dominion, incidentally.
It can be great for top. I prefer 9-21-0 bot lane but the extra gold is pretty awesome along with the summoner reduction, especially with revive.

WaterD103

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-19-2012

It was already stated several times dominion needs good CDR items for mages, maybe Morellos should be slightly improved, it isnt used in SR anyway. I don't think Riot disagree, just that riot has no one working for dominion right now. If they ever put someone at it, im sure they will give us an item for this.

AbsolutePK

02-19-2012

Actually, I can't remember the last time I built a Rabadon's in Dominion.

urmamasllama

02-19-2012

CDR per level blues and quints 9/0/21 masteries ionian boots congrats you are now at 40% CDR

12345 ... 6