Is roaming still viable or just trolling?

Viable 30 69.77%
Useless as **** 13 30.23%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Roaming is old meta. But is it still viable?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JackalopeGod

02-18-2012

I play as Nocturne in the jungle as my main. But when i have a pre-arranged team I like to roam. I've noticed that it seems just as effective as jungling. Of course it depends on your first gank whether you'll be useful until late game or not, but if you do get the early gank that lane has a huge advantage and you are now extremely dangerous to the other team. Roaming takes a lot of practice to get right, and is more difficult than jungling but if you have it down I've found it works really well still. This is just from my experience though. So what are your thoughts? Is roaming viable? (Don't just comment to say no if you've never even had a roamer on your team).

ADGarner

02-18-2012

Wasn't the response to roaming to start playing very safe lanes and tanky builds? It's not like roaming in it of it's self is not viable. It's just that the metagame has responded to it by not pushing. Taking summoners like heal/flash, tanky tops, and baby sitter supports for the carry.

Roaming meta seemed to be strong during the time when bottom often had kill lanes and AD ranged would often take middle lane.

kryptcrack

02-18-2012

Anyone else eagerly read this post until end of second sentence? Gave up immediatly when op said eve...

Sephïroth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-18-2012

Don't hate on Eve. She's a greatsupport char. She instantly costs the other team money. Also, if you buy all aura items she can assist everyone without even attacking. That is win. Of course any other champion would be a better option, but no other champion can do more by doing less.

JackalopeGod

02-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptcrack View Post
Anyone else eagerly read this post until end of second sentence? Gave up immediatly when op said eve...
The fact that I play Eve doesn't even have to do with this. It was just additional information. I could just as easily play Nunu if that would make you feel better.

Edit: I've removed the fact that I play as Eve now so there should be no prejudice against this thread.

JackalopeGod

02-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADGarner View Post
Wasn't the response to roaming to start playing very safe lanes and tanky builds? It's not like roaming in it of it's self is not viable. It's just that the metagame has responded to it by not pushing. Taking summoners like heal/flash, tanky tops, and baby sitter supports for the carry.

Roaming meta seemed to be strong during the time when bottom often had kill lanes and AD ranged would often take middle lane.
Yes that was the response which is why it is old Meta now. But it seems that most people are starting to get more into that old "must push lane hard" play style again. I've gone 24-4-13 roaming, carrying my team out of a 4v5 situation. The key to playing against this Meta is backdooring, tower diving, and punishing anyone that so much as goes to the halfway point. Usually doing this I get a kill within 3 minutes. And if the other team has a non-tanky jungler you can have a lot of fun with him. He'll quickly find that he has just fed you 5+ kills within the first 15 minutes. With someone like Eve you can infiltrate the jungle as soon as the game starts, go straight to red and just sit there, and wait for the guy to get low health, steal red, and maul him.

The reason it works is that if even if they do play safe that just gives more advantage to the team with the roamer, giving them more CS, absolute jungle control, and making the other team too paranoid to do anything but sit at their tower. When I roam I get comments like "Now I'm scared" and "Oh s*** I'm not safe anywhere" on a regular basis. That is the point of roaming. Debilitate the enemy. Remind them that it is dangerous business going out your front door.

Now of course this is all assuming that you get your first gank. This is only really guaranteed if the other team has a jungler like Lee sin, Fiddle, Yi, Trynd, Noc, or the like (non-tanky junglers) that you can infiltrate and be sure of a kill on. If not (Nunu, Amumu, Singed, Cho’ Gath, etc…) it just comes down to the skill of your teammates knowing how to properly carry out a gank in lane. This is why I only roam with pre-made teams. To be sure they can make the early gank get a kill. Most roamers are snowball champs. That doesn’t mean they buy snowball items although they can. It means that if they get started they just keep getting more and more deadly until by late game they should be getting a kill or two a minute. These include Eve (don’t judge until you play with a good one), Nocturne, Talon, etc…

In the end it really just comes down to the skill of your team. If they know how to gank and play together (communicate) It is nearly a guaranteed win. My pre-made team has only lost once with me roaming and it was because I messed up the early gank (I went too soon… facepalm*). So really just don’t make dumb mistakes and I’d say it’s still viable. This is still just from my experience though. Can we get someone else who has played with a roamer or roamed themselves this Meta to comment with their opinion?

Malah

02-19-2012

Roaming works well at lower levels of play when aggressive play such as poking or pushing in lane is more common, since roaming capitalizes on mistakes by the enemy team and catching players out of safe positions. That said, at higher play the games are often more passive early-mid game as to get the carries more farm and to specifically counter roaming and to a lesser extent, jungling. Passive play (tanky bruiser top, safe AP mid, AD carry bot + babysitter) came about specifically to counter the former roaming meta.

Jungling is, as far as I can tell, roaming with early CS and buff control attached.

JackalopeGod

02-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malah View Post
Jungling is, as far as I can tell, roaming with early CS and buff control attached.
Yes it is. However if you roam your early game is much stronger than if you have a jungler (it gives them greater lane control and can force the enemy out of getting CS if done correctly). And the early ganks take the place of CS for the roamer. Buffs can be acquired quite easily if you run a hard counter jungle, especially early game. It also means that there is less of a chance of any of your teammates getting ganked Because with a roamer running around you have a lot of map vision, especially since the roamer has more time to go buy and place wards than a jungler would. There are pros and cons to each, however I believe that if you're good at it that roaming is just as viable as jungling in most matches. Sometimes more so, sometimes less. It depends on your team more than anything. Which is why I wouldn't do it in solo que.

Mcluviinn

02-21-2012

Better nerf irelia...

JackalopeGod

02-21-2012

Good point Mcluviinn. You should send that idea in to Morello. "Roaming is old meta, better nerf Irelia." He'll see the logic.