Rumble build/guide

12
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ppvkignx

Senior Member

02-17-2012

Rumble is a beefy short range caster; you run at stuff and kill it with your flamethrower. Whats not to love?

Skill order: R>Q>W>E.
Leveling W before E gives you a huge amount of mobility and survivability at the cost of 300 damage per double taser hit. It is worth it.

Runes:
- Magic Pen Marks
- Armor Seals
- MR or MR/lvl Glyphs (Don't have scaling MR so never tried, theoretically they are better)
- Movespeed Quints (AP also works, but not as well)

Masteries:
21/0/9 or 21/9/0. I prefer 21/0/9 for 2% MS and Runic Affinity.

Items
:
Start Amp Tome + Ruby Crystal (plus boots of course), upgrade to Haunting Guise OR Hextech Sweeper ASAP.
If you just don't give a ****, Blasting Wand + boots also works - skip the Guise if you go this route.
Some time between Guise/Sweeper and finishing your next item, get Sorcs/Mercs/Tabi.

First big item should almost always be Rylais, although sometimes its worth just holding onto giant's belt for a while and getting something like Abyssal.
After Rylais, you really just have to build depending on the game.
Items that work well:
- Abyssal Scepter
- Thornmail
- Randuins/Warden's Mail
- Deathcap
- Void Staff
- Hourglass

Mediocre items that you should mostly avoid:
- Force of Nature
- Odyn's Veil (you really never need this much MR, Mercs+Abyssal+Glyphs is quite a bit)
- Sunfire Cape
- Will of the Ancients

Wota: this item kinda sucks on Rumble (in Dominion). In-combat you get almost nothing from it due to flamespitter and ult being AoE, and sustaining off creeps isn't very useful.
Lichbane: never gotten around to trying it. Might work.

Itemization theory:
Getting tanky enough to survive running up to people is more important than increasing your damage - Rumble's base values and ratios are crazy high, you don't need much AP to wreck. MR/Armor is higher priority than HP after getting Rylais due to it's synergy with your shield, but getting that early HP from Giants Belt > Rylais is amazing.

Combat:
- In general, don't be the first one to run in. Initiating with ult works well, though.
- Learn to manage heat so you don't overheat in bad situations but maintain yellow zone.
- Zerging someone with flamespitter+overheated melees works extremely well but can leave you very vulnerable if they don't die.
Managing heat/overheat is the difficult part of Rumble.
- In larger fights, your ult is ridiculously powerful. You should be able to hit 4+ players with it most of the time, waiting for good opportunities is worthwhile.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

v4v3nd3774

Senior Member

02-17-2012

I don't agree with avoiding WotA, or revolver at the least, but the rest of the guide is exactly as it should be A few more tips for those wanting to learn Rumble:

- Start spaming Q+W together as you go top to get your heat up, second use should put you in the Danger Zone

- Spam one ability constantly to maintain Danger Zone(usually flamespitter).

- You can cast your second E while Overheated(silenced).

- It's not always bad to Overheat. Remember it's a 6second silence and Q+W are 5.7~ seconds cd with 4%cdr from offense. E is a 10sec cd, so if you use E to slow someone and get into Danger Zone(rather than spamming Q to maintain Danger Zone) you can then safely Q+W to overheat, silencing yourself but being able to cast E one more time, having Q+W up and going and meleeing for bonus damage. Q+W will be up just as your Overheat ends and E will be up shortly(due to the longer cd).

- Get in the habbit of placing your ult well infront of someone. I know when I first started rumble(and I've seen others do this too) you tend to aim for your target, starting it right on him and then sending it in one direction. You'll have much more effective ults if you learn to start it 300-400 range off of your target and then throw it over them, to avoid giving them an easy way to step off of it.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Glorious Bird

Senior Member

02-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by v4v3nd3774 View Post
I don't agree with avoiding WotA, or revolver at the least, but the rest of the guide is exactly as it should be A few more tips for those wanting to learn Rumble:

- Start spaming Q+W together as you go top to get your heat up, second use should put you in the Danger Zone

- Spam one ability constantly to maintain Danger Zone(usually flamespitter).

- You can cast your second E while Overheated(silenced).

- It's not always bad to Overheat. Remeber it's a 6second silence and Q+W are 5.7~ seconds cd with 4%cdr from offense. E is a 10sec cd, so if you use E to slow someone and get into Danger Zone(rather than spamming Q to maintain Danger Zone) you can then safely Q+W to overheat, silencing yourself but being able to cast E one more time, having Q+W up and going and meleeing for bonus damage. Q+W will be up just as your Overheat ends and E will be up shortly(due to the longer cd).

- Get in the habbit of placing your ult well infront of someone. I know when I first started rumble(and I've seen others do this too) you tend to aim for your target, starting it right on him and then sending it in one direction. You'll have much more effective ults if you learn to start it 300-400 range off of your target and then throw it over them, to avoid giving them an easy way to step off of it.
The only way you get any benefit from vamp is if there's a ton of minions around and since this is Dominion chances are that bonus AP aura and vamp is going to waste.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MilesMcStyles

Senior Member

02-17-2012

I get lucidity boots. Rumble's ult is single handedly his best move that's better than 99% of everyone else's ult in this mode. It's used for attacking/defending/jungle spotting and the **** range and CD on it has me thanking Riot for only nerfing it once.

Rumble is a playmaker. He's good at just about everything except dueling Jax.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ppvkignx

Senior Member

02-17-2012

If you deal 1k damage with a flamespitter, a revolver will heal you for 40hp. WotA would give you 66hp.

It can be useful for sustaining off creep waves, I guess, but Rumble moves so fast that you can afford to blue pill just to heal up. Sustain just isn't as important as on SR or bot on dom.

Casting Q and W at the exact same time (smartcast) while only having enough heat left to cast one will result in both being used before you overheat.

I don't really like CDR boots on him; most of the time I end up getting mercs but sorcs are nice for extra 100-0 power on squishy targets. I also find his ult CD is pretty reasonable, but its all personal preference.

If I buy sorcs (on any caster) and later buy void staff, I've had success selling sorcs for lucidity - it only costs 280g to swap them.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

v4v3nd3774

Senior Member

02-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorious Bird View Post
The only way you get any benefit from vamp is if there's a ton of minions around and since this is Dominion chances are that bonus AP aura and vamp is going to waste.
His flamespitter actually only does half damage to minions, so Q vamp vs minions compared to Q vamp vs a single champion is actually pretty comparible. Something like hitting 3 minions is 50% more healing than hitting a single champion with Q(100 x 3/2 =150, 100 x 1/1 = 100, 50% more), where as if flamespitter did 100%damage to minions it would be 200%more healing done(100 x 3/1 = 300, 100 x 1/1 = 100, 200% more). If you tag a second champion with flamespitter you're healing more than you would vs 3 creeps and E still benifets 100% from vamp, twice. Also, your ult gives you a very sizeable amount of health, especially if you hit four people as he suggests we should aim to.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ppvkignx

Senior Member

02-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by v4v3nd3774 View Post
His flamespitter actually only does half damage to minions, so Q vamp vs minions compared to Q vamp vs a single champion is actually pretty comparible. Something like hitting 3 minions is 50% more healing than hitting a single champion with Q(100 x 3/2 =150, 100 x 1/1 = 100, 50% more), where as if flamespitter did 100%damage to minions it would be 200%more healing done(100 x 3/1 = 300, 100 x 1/1 = 100, 200% more). If you tag a second champion with flamespitter you're healing more than you would vs 3 creeps and E still benifets 100% from vamp, twice. Also, your ult gives you a very sizeable amount of health, especially if you hit four people as he suggests we should aim to.
A huge part of how to build is personal preference. I just always ended up feeling like getting WotA as a 2nd item was a huge waste of gold I could have spent better on Deathcap.

If you're 18 with crazy AP from Deathcap, Rylais, and maybe Void Staff, WotA is amazing. Early/mid game, not so much.
edit2: A large part of why I skip revolver/wota is that I level taser last.
edit3: Sweeper is just something to counter Akali/Eve/Vayne/etc - Sweeper Rumble vs one of the stealth dependent characters is hilarious.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

v4v3nd3774

Senior Member

02-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ppvkignx View Post
A huge part of how to build is personal preference. I just always ended up feeling like getting WotA as a 2nd item was a huge waste of gold I could have spent better on Deathcap.
I agree it is personal preference, I was just stating my opinion. I agree with literally everything else in your guide, but I tend to like getting mercs>revolver>giantsbelt>rylias rather than rushing Rylias or getting sweeper(dislike the cdr) or guise.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DarkDestiny

Senior Member

02-17-2012

If your buying a deathcap you shouldn't be playing dominion. Sorry but glass cannon casters get pooped on way too hard.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

v4v3nd3774

Senior Member

02-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDestiny View Post
If your buying a deathcap you shouldn't be playing dominion. Sorry but glass cannon casters get pooped on way too hard.
Not sure if troll or just random 1500 trying to tell players 300 Elo over him that they shouldn't be playing dominion.


12