Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Buying Runes for Dominion

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Breidr

02-17-2012

When I started playing again I just used my runes I had accumulated for Summoner's Rift. I know there are some more efficient options out there and I wanted to invest in some scaling runes for use on Dominion. I already have a set of Scaling MR, and was Contemplating picking up a set of Scaling CDR. I've heard flat is better, it's also more expensive, I just want to know if this would be a waste of money, or if they would suit me okay. I'm also debating on picking up sets of Scaling Armor and Health, but I'm not sure which seal to use when. The only thing I'm sure about is those MS Quints.

I've looked into this a little bit, but I'm just a player who wants something that works and a little inefficiency won't kill me. I've looked into the heath/armor debate and most calculations confuse me. I would think health would be more efficient with increased penetration, but I've also heard that if you don't buy armor items, those runes somehow get better. The whole thing hurt my head.

I was thinking of just buying a set of Scaling Health and CDR and running them on everybody, but part of me wonders if I should go Scaling Armor and MR instead. I just don't know enough.

Yaladilae

02-17-2012

I rotate runes depending on which champ, but i find flat health quint / MS quint very useful, as well as scaling health Yellow. My top pick on AP. Honorable mention is flat CDR blue

For AD, I went very offensive with Arm Pen Red and Arm Pen Quint, flat armor yellow, flat MR blue (but scaling also very good)

Mister Omega

02-17-2012

The flat armor/mr ones are better because the scaling ones don't overtake them until level 12. The extra benefit gives you that early game advantage you should use to help secure a long-term advantage. Having that flat armor is extra-great for going top, where the increased toughness counts the most.

The flat CDR ones are also leagues better, because it takes EVEN LONGER for them to become more efficient. If you wanna get the CDR runes (and they're the best for most champs imo), just commit and get the top notch ones. The scaling hp yellows seem like they could also be pretty good. MS quints are godly too.

iProbie

02-17-2012

scaling armor and mr for any bruisers

if I feel like going ballsy, go full offensive
one of my ap rune page is just ap + cdr yellows + mpen reds

regarding cdr, it's a liberty of choice to either pick them from runes or items
but it's definitely a good stat considering teamfights in dominion happen much more often than sr

FDru

02-17-2012

2 rune pages that can cover every champ in the game:

Move speed quints
Armor pen or spell pen reds
Armor/lvl yellows (or HP/lvl if you want instead)
MR/lvl blues

After that you can make specific pages for certain champs but these are guaranteed to be effective on anybody.

AbsolutePK

02-17-2012

Hp/level, Mana/level, and AP/level are the only per level runes I'd buy.

Depending on what you play most, Armor Pen Reds, Health/level or Armor Yellow, and CDR or MR blue with Movespeed/Armor Pen quints should handle them.

For AP just plain Magic Pen red, Mana Regen or HP/L Yellow, and CDR Blue with Movespeed, HP, or Magic Pen quints will cover it.

However I'd swap the hp/l with Attack Speed for Ranged AD.

Also I noticed you have 11 pages, which is obscenely stupid in my opinion since you don't have **** for variety in runes. I understand that's what this thread is for, but you're asking for 1 page to use on everybody and you have 11 pages available.

You really should fill those slots that you don't have runes in on some of your off pages. I don't know if you fill them in game-by-game or not, but it's stats you wouldn't otherwise have, and they don't cost any in-game gold. For example your Support page, could easily throw in the HP quints and AP Reds, otherwise any abilities you do use could be completely negated by someone with some MR runes.

Basoosh

02-17-2012

A rune page that I use for a lot of champions in Dom is:

Armor Pen Reds
Armor/Level Yellows
MR/Level Blues
Armor Pen Quints

Outside of that, other runes I use quite a bit, depending on the champion:

Magic Pen Reds
Attack Speed Reds
Health / Level Yellows
AP / Level Yellows
AP / Level Blues
Movement Speed Quints

My two cents on the flat vs. scaling debate: The two most common arguments for flat runes that I see are that (1) they snowball you into late game, more than making up for the late game stats you'd be missing and (2) they help you win the windmill fight, which gives you an advantageous position for the rest of the game.

I just don't find the snowballing argument to be true on Dominion. There's of course the huge passive gold income which causes quite a bit of parity on Dominion, but the reduced amount of gold from kills makes it so that it's extremely difficult to snowball. (Unless you get turbo-fed and go 15-0. And let's be honest - if you're doing that, it didn't matter what runes you selected because the opposition is playing like poo in order to enable a 15-0 game in the first place.) Meanwhile, the late game gold difference you need to make up between the flat and scaling runes is a couple hundred. That means that those flat runes need to earn you at least a couple kills that you otherwise would not have gotten for the snowballing argument to hold up. Seeing how the break even point for many per level runes is level 10 and you basically start the game at level 4, I just don't see that happening.

On the windmill fight, winning that first fight is of course advantageous and a fair argument for flats. That said, this is Dominion - the first Windmill fight does not decide the outcome of the game. And how often are those extra points of armor and MR going to be the deciding factor in that fight? Doesn't seem worth it to me.

Meanwhile, you basically start the game at level 4 in Dominion and the XP rate is fairly quick. The majority of a Dominion game will be spent after the break even point on flats vs. scaling runes. And since no lead is safe on Dominion, being stronger late game is just more important to me.

Your mileage may vary, but those are my observations and what has worked for me!

Quote:
Hurrikane Hektor:
The flat armor/mr ones are better because the scaling ones don't overtake them until level 12.

According to this link (http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_runes), the break even point for the Armor/Level yellows and MR/Level blues is 10, not 12.

ActionButlerGO

02-17-2012

My catch all Dom rune pages are

ArPen reds
CDR blues
Flat Armor yellows
ArPen Quints

MPen reds
CDR blues
Flat Armor yellows
AP Quints

I opted for the flat armor runes because of the early boost and the ensuing support it provides for those early windmill skirmishes. Might swap the quints on both of those pages for Health or Movespeed, though.

theovenmaster

02-17-2012

The only flat runes that are better for domination imo are the CDR glyphs (which are even at lvl 13 w/ the per lvl glyphs and only lose their advantage at lvl 14 and above).

Hawktitan

02-17-2012

I swear by MR/level glyphs. I don't think I'll ever use flat MR.

Armor on the other hand can go either way, I use flat armor but I don't know if that is always the right choice.

CDR glyphs on the other hand are a bit different and really depend on the the hero and the item build you want. Here are my simplified thoughts on the matter. If you are getting items with cooldown reduction already and just want to fill out a few precentage points to hit that 40% reduction then get CDR/Level glyphs otherwise get flat CDR.

That being said, for an 'IP budget conscious' player getting scaling CDR glyphs are cheaper. I wouldn't condemn anyone who got them, they may not be completely optimal but they are close.