Why the armor pen buff?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Derceto

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-13-2012

Can anyone explain to me why AD characters need the 12% armor pen buff on dominion? Is there a legit reason for this? Also why is the spell pen buff only 5%?

Melvear

02-13-2012

Stacking armor is a lot easier than stacking MR is, since Randuin, Thornmail, Frozen Heart and pretty much anything that builds from a chain vest is a good choice. On the other hand, MR options aren't as plentiful. You've got Odyn's, Abyssal, and then smaller value items (25-35 mr). FoN is just a bad choice for Dom overall.
And since it's not flat it doesn't really hurt squishy champions, only very tanky ones.

Aparkhurst

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-13-2012

Because armor is strong as it is, without that buff it would be a tankfest

Also remember that %armor pen is capped at 50 or something

Melvear

02-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aparkhurst View Post

There's no actual cap, just that the options aren't available to go beyond 52% (Mastery+Aura+Last Whisper)

FDru

02-13-2012

Quote:

You can stack nothing but armor items and still die in seconds to an AD carry by end game. It's like if they're doing 800 DPS, you can cut it in half and still be taking a ton of damage. Your armor on the other hand doesn't help you kill them any faster (outside of thornmail, which does absolutely nothing against AP champs and very little to champs like Wukong, Panth, Riven and Talon).

LW is a ridiculously OP item and I can't figure out what the thought process behind the free armor pen aura was, especially with the mastery changes which already gave AD an extra 10% penetration. Did they expect players wouldn't be buying LW or something?

As far as mages go, the 5% doesn't even make up for the 5% they lost from the mastery changes. And really, what champ does a seriously scary amount of magic damage? I can think of a few that are problematic (like Ryze and Poppy) but for the most part it's AD champs that have the spotlight.

JakeTehPwner

02-13-2012

Quote:

It still is a tank fest. Defensive items in this game are ridiculously strong and need nerfs imo.

Kolos1001

02-13-2012

Play alistar and then tell me it's not needed.

Aparkhurst

02-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvear View Post
There's no actual cap, just that the options aren't available to go beyond 52% (Mastery+Aura+Last Whisper)
Am I missing something?

10% mastery
12% aura
40% last whisper

I'm not great at math but please show me how adding these results in 52% and not 62%

LegendaryEnemy

02-13-2012

Its multiplicative. In other words the higher percent is used first, then 12% of that armor is reduced then 10% of tha armor is reduces.

AAARRRRGGGGGHHHH

02-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDru View Post
LW is a ridiculously OP item
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeTehPwner View Post
Defensive items in this game are ridiculously strong and need nerfs imo.
really makes you wonder

is penetration OP because armor is OP, or is armor OP because penetration is OP?