Starting Items for Riven

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cauldrath

02-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionButlerGO View Post
How do find she does at bottom? I don't think I've ever seen a Riven start bottom.
She starts off a little weak, so you need to have somone gank a few times while playing conservatively, if you can't just rush them down and kill them yourself immediately. But once she gets a few items built, she's pretty much immune to ganks and is good at holding a tower solo. You also can't really counterbuild a Riven with Last Whisper and Aegis, so mid-late game you can just tower dive the other laner even if it's someone like Maokai.

But, the main reason I take her bottom is because I usually solo queue draft mode and sometimes I just have to look at my team's terrible comp and decide that we've got the best chance if I go bottom with her. I've taken her bottom twice and both games it was the same story - really rough start, absolute dominance at the end.

Oh, and about health being bad on Riven, it's helpful early game before you have the CDR to keep your shield up, and those two Ruby Crystals turn into Aegis and Entropy, which I consider core items for her.

EMeta

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-17-2012

Boots aren't really required on her to start if she's going top, but the hp of prospector's really is. You don't want an early ruby crystal for for anything, so you don't really lose anything by building a p.blade that you can't upgrade. If you build a brutalizer you won't get a chance to use its cdr, since you'll be dead before your stun comes up a third time anyway. You could probably put together a team comp that would prevent you from being focused down first... Leona or Alistar + some mage with stuns perhaps... but that's not for solo queue.

I suppose a case could be made for starting prospector's+long sword. Anyone try that?

For bot I would definitely go p.blade+boots. You'll just get bullied around otherwise.

Psi21

02-17-2012

She really is just a mid to late game champ like Irelia.

but Riven's q can be pretty sloppy

Annaed

02-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionButlerGO View Post
How do find she does at bottom? I don't think I've ever seen a Riven start bottom.
Honestly, riven bot is very situational. I would typically never send a riven bot unless she will be up against a melee champ or someone she specifically counters, otherwise rivens aoe damage is wasted. She contributes much more to the team at windmill. She can be sent bot to help and does very well late game against almost every champ (besides those that constantly slow and knock back). Its important to keep in mind where she's needed the most because she can be such a powerhouse...

BigDaddyDelish

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-17-2012

This is what I go and it got me up to ~1950.

1) Prospector's Blade + Boots + 1 hp pot
2) Brutalizer + Merc Treads/Ninja Tabi
3) Phage
4) Entropy
5) Atma's Impaler
6) Guardian Angel/Ghostblade (your choice)

Has worked very well for me. Entropy I find is really good on her since you can reapply the true damage as you attack inbetween skills, and it gives a massive amount of hp/ad of which she really loves.

Risemix

02-17-2012

Riven is an excellent solo lane champion on SR. Not sure why she'd be suddenly worse on it on Dominion.

Riven gets very easy early game kills. It only takes 1-2 combos+ignite.

I think a lot of people on the Dominion forums lowball Riven. My only complaint with her on Dominion is that she falls a bit to tankier champs who can initiate over capture points, whereas she can't really do that.

ActionButlerGO

02-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyRelish View Post
This is what I go and it got me up to ~1950.

1) Prospector's Blade + Boots + 1 hp pot
2) Brutalizer + Merc Treads/Ninja Tabi
3) Phage
4) Entropy
5) Atma's Impaler
6) Guardian Angel/Ghostblade (your choice)

Has worked very well for me. Entropy I find is really good on her since you can reapply the true damage as you attack inbetween skills, and it gives a massive amount of hp/ad of which she really loves.
Out of curiosity, do you ever build a Hexdrinker in there anywhere? Especially when facing AP-heavy teams? Or does the added health from Entropy keep her safe enough?

Also, what kind of runes do you run with her? AD reds and quints? Or just one or the other?

Many thanks!