Questions about Udyr

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SciencexReason

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-26-2010

Lately i've taken an interest in Udyr, and have saved the points for him, but i intend to wait for his free week before commiting the IP for him. But until that happens i still have question about how to play him.

While Udyr can jungle, is it worth the chance of getting ganked right off the bat? I play a jungling WW, and when i bring smite the enemy team usually heads straight for the golem and tries to kill me. While smite isnt necessary for WW its even more common with Udyr junglers. Is it even possible to start with golem without bringing smite as Udyr? If so what do i bring? cloth armor+5hp pots? fort pot + hp pots? saph crystal+hp pots?

How effective is Udyr as a laner? With Udyr barely ever appearing free i never truly get to see his capability as a laner.

Tiger stance vs. Phoenix stance... With the phoenix stance nerfed which is the better for fighting? Since the tiger stance Dot is magic damage that is based on attack damage is the tiger stance worth the effort? you would need magic pen to maximize the dots ability but you would need armor pen for you auto attack damage. Would it be better to make Udyr an AP/ATS style fighter maximizing his magic damage? ie: sorcerer's treads, sword of the divine, nashors tooth, guisoo's rageblade, void staff, will of the ancients?

Tank vs. DPS... I am at a loss to which Udyr plays better as. I once fought a tank Udyr who ended the game without dying once. no one could kill him with his turtle blocking all the dmg and bear letting him get away at lightning speeds. But his little damage only made him a mild irritant with his stun, meaning he was ignorable. i am more of a DPS style player and see the potential in Udyr to wreak havoc on unsuspecting champions using pheonix and turning him into a Jax style power hitter, but instead of dodge he simply shrugs the damage off using turtle. but is it possible to give him decent health while also making him deal adequate damage at the same time?

What would be the proper runes for each style of play? for a phoenix stance DPS i feel that magic pen or ats marks, health/lvl seals, cooldown/magic pen/ats glyphs, and flat health quints could do well, but the glyphs are weak and could use improvement. I have no clue what i would use for other styles of play though.

And what masteries would be best? personally i favor a 9/21/0 getting the magic pen, and increasing as much defence as i could to aid in survivability. But what are your takes on the best set of masteries?

these are the questions i ask, and while i know they are many, i hope they will improve my ability to play Udyr once i get the chance

Pah Pai

07-26-2010

Jungling as Udyr is viable but I personally don't jungle with him. It all depends on your team. Jungle if you CAN but if you can't then go ahead and lane. As for being ganked, just ask 1~2 of your team mates to spot for you so if you do get ganked then you at least have a chance to catch them off guard and flee/kill them.

Laning as udyr isn't very difficult unless the other team continually harasses you. I max out turtle first so I can absorb incoming damage and with your passive life/mana steal, you should have no problem to have to go back.

I choose tiger. Why? Getting 4 hits on an opponent is very very VERY rare. Sure you get the attack damage and the AoE damage but tiger lets you do a hit and run. Tiger lets you kill off primary targets such as Ashe, Annie, or Yi and not to mention, tiger is better on turrets.

Tanking as Udyr... well I don't like it. If you are gonna be a tank, go play a different character. Udyr has a very poor initiating ability (only bear) and sure he can't die but he can't do anything else other then stun the other team for 1 second. As DPS you can kill off primary targets with your offensive stances (Tiger/Pheonix) and then quickly move on to the next target. Putting health on Udyr isn't a bad idea though. If I need the hp I usually get banshee's veil, frozen mallet, and maybe locket. Not often do I get locket.

Seals: Dodge
Marks: Armour Pen
Glyphs: Flat CD
Quints: Flat health, Move speed, Armour pen, Dodge

I go 0/9/21 for him. Why? Nimbleness for your dodge and the 21 in utility help you a lot giving you 6% CD, 3% Movespeed, Bonus Exp, Etc. All that good stuff

I usually go Ghost and Cleanse. You can substitute cleanse with Exhaust and to some extent Ignite.

Garoth Armagido

07-26-2010

Try looking for "Legend of Udyr". It's one of the best guides around.

Been playing Udyr for quite sometime. And all I can say is, don't jungle! Well, pre-lvl5-6 that is. That slot for Smite could be use for a much better spell.
Mana Crystal + Turtle helps keep Udyr alive and rich on the laning phase.

I also go with tiger now. For the same reason and Tiger+AD just owns more than every 4th phoenix attack.

Almost the same runes as PahPai too.

Eppa

07-26-2010

You don't need to start at golem you can start at wraiths and smite one go wolves golem or small golems -> wraiths ->wolves-> golem.

Manse

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-26-2010

Udyr can lane fairly well after about level 3 (usually two in phoenix, one in turtle). Udyr does love the jungle, though. If Udyr is wary of ganks, Udyr should go 0/9/21 and take clairvoyance on a 40-ish second timer. Clair + Smite, Cloth armor + HP pots, fort pot, sapphire crystal are all viable items, though Sapphire Crystal has lost favor with Udyr due to painful nerfs to Locket.

Udyr is also viable laning until 3 or so, then taking his cloth armor and pots into jungle. If the other team is tanky, Udyr always goes for Madred's and levels tiger, turtle, and phoenix to 5. If there are more squishies, Udyr would consider the cheap new Lantern first, especially when combined with Clairvoyance. Map awareness and bear-speed lets Udyr feed his carries very well.

SciencexReason

07-26-2010

hmm, while not jungling for early game till lvl 5-6 is good for udyr, it is really bad for your laning partner, he ends up weak where he should really have the extra level advantage on his enemies, especially since their ult is ready and waiting. and 5-6 is generally when you should stop jungling imo. As a warwick player i use the jungle to keep my whereabouts unknown only killing jungle creeps when i have the time to spare.

With a Tiger stance Udyr would i focus on attack speed at all? or would i go straight for attack dmg to milk the tiger stance for what its worth?