Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

How to stop ELO hell

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Killmonkey

02-16-2012

Very simple. When awarding ELO points for each win add in a multiplier for total games played. This way you avoid having people with a lot of experience being trapped with noobs of equal ELO but little to no experience. It will still happen from time to time but over the course of the year those with many games under their belt will rise from the depths and no longer be improperly matched with **** players. The problem as I see it is being stuck with a 4 win player when you have 100+ wins. They will take a champ they do not know well and feed thus negating any chance your experience could have in compensating for their lack of ability. How can it be considered proper matching or team balancing when one team has i single player with 100+ wins and four others with under 30 wins matched up against a team with four players with over 100 wins and one with 70 wins? I have seen this time and time again and is not in anyway a "balanced" game. It is always a slaughter when this happens.

Such an easy fix to a problem we all have been complaining about for over a year now. The existing ELO system is clearly broken. Why not at least TRY to fix it?

Deathfairy

02-16-2012

1) System is fine
2) Your "solution" is horrible

Killmonkey

02-16-2012

system is not fine. how is it balanced in the above situation. you know as well as i pairing someone new in ranked to someone with 100+ games under their belt is not balanced.

If the system is working "fine" then why page after page of complaints about ELO hell?

Dont post junk replies that have absolutely no point or thoughtful insight. Otherwise u just a troll

Amatzikahni

02-16-2012

The system very quickly puts people near their estimated rating, hence why such giant fluctuations occur within the first few dozen games. There should not be a multiplier by the number of games. XBox Live's system can be found here: http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/projects/trueskill/details.aspx It uses ยต and σ while Riot's system uses k and σ, and the systems are slightly different, but the concepts are nearly identical.

Selcopa

02-16-2012

Quote:
Killmonkey:
system is not fine. how is it balanced in the above situation. you know as well as i pairing someone new in ranked to someone with 100+ games under their belt is not balanced.

System is fine, How else are you supposed to determine where a new player should be placed, if he isnt playing against people that have played at one level for a while[/quote]

Quote:
If the system is working "fine" then why page after page of complaints about ELO hell?

Because people incorrectly believe they are more skilled then they are, they dont want to blame themselves for being where they are, so they blame the system, and as you can see, its a very common trait

Quote:
Dont post junk replies that have absolutely no point or thoughtful insight. Otherwise u just a troll

In all the replays ive watched I have yet to to find a game where the player did well but lost the game, and they couldnt have won the game

Snowrelax

02-16-2012

4-0 player is better than 100wins/150 losses player

inexperienced potential > experienced scrub

Killmonkey

02-16-2012

All these replies are with the exception of Amatzikahni are useless and incorrect. Do you honestly mean to say you have joined solo cue and been placed on a team where you have had a player new to ranked, take a champ they are clueless about, then proceed to feed past the point where you or the entire rest of the team cannot overcome the damage done? Really?

I think not. If you have never solo cued then hush up. You have no idea what it is like attempting to overcome an other players inability. Fact is my argument remains.

How is it balanced to put someone with less than 10 ranked game play experience with someone that has over 100 games played? How is it balance to have one team comprised of all 100+ game winners against a team that has a few with 50+ wins and three 10-20 wins?

Have you been in the above described situation? Did the game seem balanced? Was it competitive or a complete slaughter?

Again, If there wasnt a problem with the ELO system why all the complaints?

carry4food

02-16-2012

Saying that a new player is on the same level as a veteren player is absurd because you don't know whether that new player is a 2k elo smurf or a 600 elo that plays casually...you just don't know the skill level, I would like to see a system where it puts every player under 30 games in a seperate queue to determine where in the solo q they should start at

I'm an average player and being at 1200-1350 suck because you just don't know the skill level of your opponents...just look at how many threads there are of 2k smurfs going into 'elo hell and stomping people... is that fair to the other players...hardly