The viability of HP regen

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

noodle0117

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-25-2010

So I hear many people say that regeneration is THE WORST stat...
Ok... cool.

But I also see many players contradict this statement in almost every possible way.

"Regeneration is bad, but heal heroes are good."
So wait, healing by yourself is bad, but healing in exchange for mana is good...
Am I not getting something here?

I see many players say that taric and soraka (both heavy healers) are top tier champs, yet warmogs and FoN (items which provides greatest regeneration) are bad/extremely situational and non-viable in real games.

I see lots of players say that potions are great, but those same players say regeneration is a sucky stat, despite potions offering nothing but regeration.

If regeneration is really that bad, then wouldn't that mean that mundo (hero based upon regeneration) was and is still trash tier?
How bout mordekaiser who can quickly eat up his own health to cast his spells? I see morde players with warmogs + FoN + visage+radium's who have like +200 hp regen/5 and are virtually unkillable by anything other than a full team focus fire.

Sure regen might not be the best stuff if you're getting bursted down, but without regen, the hero who survived the burst still has to waste time going back to base and healing it out rather than doing something useful like waiting a few seconds and going back to the lane/jungle

So all in all, why is everyone saying regen itself is bad, but the things that mimic its effects (eg heals, pots, abilities ect.) are good?

DISCLAIMER: I'm not exactly the best player in the world, so some of the things I'm seeing might not be the same as high tier play. Please give constructive criticism and not useless flaming posts.

Reiver

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-25-2010

because soraka and taric are burst heals that give a huge amount of HP to save you when you're getting bursted, and I'm not sure about taric, but soraka also gives a big def buff when she heals you

hp regen on the other hand, even if you stacked massive amounts of it would end up giving you like 20 a second, which is VERY easy to outdamage

so one is nice for recovering outside of battle IF you survive the fights

while the other is good for keeping you from dying in fights, and is still good at helping you recover outside of battle

Kaze Aeze

07-25-2010

Like what he said^
Regen when compared to heal is awful. Mainly due to the fact that heal is an instant thing while regen takes some time. To say simply, when you're about to die during a team fight, gank, etc, healing will give you the HP when you need it so that you don't die; unlike regen which gives you an infinite amount of free HP over a long period of time.

That's why people say heal is better. IDK about using regen on morde. I dont use him :P

el luecke

07-25-2010

HP regen on Morde is highly recommended early on, but almost unnecessary mid to late game. But you can pretty much say that for anybody.

Xianio

07-25-2010

HP regen is NOT good in fighting situations. High HP regen is very good outside of those events. As a tank player when I have HP regen up to a significant level it makes a very big difference to towering post fight. We'll get 2 towers instead of 1 because I get brought back up to 50% and am willing to take a death for t he team.

HP regen is subtle. It's kind of like boots 3. You'll never really know exactly when they were critical often thye slip under the radar.

FlyingPinkPony

07-25-2010

As what the posters above me said, burst is key. This game is all about burst damage past the laning phase. During the laning phase however HP regen can be incredibly useful but it gets weakened considerably due to the mid/late game burst damage.

Also HP regen characters never get the amount of regen (Mundo aside) to bring their health back up to a reasonable level quickly after a team fight. It is almost always quicker to b to base and walk back then wait for your HP regen to fix the problem and mid-late game you should never be running around at half health.

The only heroes who can take a small break and get back to full life from a quick jungle trip are people stacking life steal or special LS heroes like warrick/nas etc. LS is considered the superior stack by far for this reason (in addition to cost effectiveness).

At the end of the day though get what works for you. If you find getting HP regen is the way to go do it. I would actually suggest a regrowth pendant early game for a character like mord to fuel his spells but sadly Warmog's is highly inefficient (FoN is a better choice). Too much gold for not enough health, you are better off spending your money elsewhere. I would also say this is mord exclusive all of the other HP-cost ability heroes however have some form of natural healing to offset this penalty (Mundo heal, Tryn blood stacks). Do what works for you, just know that HP regen is ignored more the more you climb the ELO ladder,