Nautilus

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

iProbie

02-15-2012

I give up with this guy
cannot seem to build him properly

the problem I have is with his W shield, it's too weak atm
early game, 1-2 shots instantly kill the shield because 10% of bonus HP is non-existant early on and you don't have enough armor/mr to help it yet.
mid game, the shield only lasts for several blows/spells
late game, any farmed ad or ap champ can shred the shield in no time

therefore, I end up nothing but relying on Q and E in skirmishes.

any ideas?

reticuli

02-15-2012

I've had great luck with him, but I'm only around 1300 elo in Dominion.

Post what build you use. Here are great items to consider for Nautilus.

First spell to rank is W. In Masteries grab both physical and magic penetration stats, and cool down reduction. For runes, amor, armor pen, magic resist, HP quints

Ionian Boots
Sunfire Cape - Adds passive damage to mesh with W spell. Also provides defensive ability. Health also meshes with W
Thornmail - Adds more passive damage to mesh with W spell. Also provides defensive ability
Wits End - Adds attack speed, to mesh with W spell. Also provides defensive ability
Kindle Gem - HP and Cool Down Reduction

The whole build is based around W, and makes you very hard to kill. I have often solo'd two assassin champs are once on dominion, not even on the tower. Also consider all the tricks you can do on his Q, make sure you research them all! If you position correctly it is a free summoner spell Flash, on 3 second CD

BTW 40% cool down reduction is extremely strong on him, for you need to be able to pop your W twice in a solo fight at times. Getting that W off again will turn the tide.

Xoax

02-15-2012

A guy I played with seemed to do well with I think just hp/ap items lol. 16-8 with 4k hp. Did good damage..just didn't really survive that great.

iProbie

02-15-2012

pretty much the same as phreak's build in the spotlight

but I get glacial and kindlegem asap
and replace locket of iron solari with randuin's when appropriate
then work towards either armor, hp or mr depending on enemy team comp

nevertheless, it always seems that enemies break the shield too quickly
runes:
arpen/mpen reds
armor/lvl seals
mr/lvl glyphs
ms quints

Glorious Bird

02-15-2012

Damage is weak all around. Shield isn't that great. Relies on 1-2 others being around just to kill one champion because to be honest his initiate is pretty derp. Hook+root is still inferior to a Blitz/Mumu/Leona/Alistar set-up. Think we have a new worst tank.

Stralucire

02-15-2012

He and Sej can duke it out for the not-in-dominion tank. Weak on-attack passives. Weak or no tanking roids. Kits full of soft CC with a long-cooldown hard CC ult. They exist in this odd middle ground between bruiser and tank where they have neither the damage nor the AP scaling to make it as a bruiser, but they also lack the ubersurvivability of a true tank. They aren't bad champs so much as they are champs who fill a roll that dominion neither needs nor wants.

I make this claim having really really tried to make Sej work in Dominion. I haven't played Naut, but I see all of the same misgivings in him as I do in Sej. It's too bad. Sej is lots of fun, and it wouldn't take much to fix her up right. Naut even seems closer to viable. But neither have what it takes.

Phourc

02-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorious Bird View Post
his initiate is pretty derp
I think this is what's keeping me from buying him, unlike all the other ridiculous skillshot initiates (Blitz Grab, Leona Swordbeam, Amumu Bandage), Nautie can't shoot through walls, so you have approximately one place in any lane and one to two in any tower he can fire it. They'll NEVER see that coming.

Honestly, I avoid the gaps in the wall whenever I can anyway, so it'd only be a really clever Nautilus or one packing flash that could get a good hookshot in.

Yaladilae

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-16-2012

He has one of the most sensible scaling shield in game =(

Saw a lot of QQ about his shield being too big..

Panwar

02-16-2012

So I bought Nautilus last night. I had been reading that he was an inferior Blitz and what not, but he was too cool not to give a shot. Here are my thoughts.

First he's pretty tanky. I've read a lot of posts about how he seems to be too squishy, but then I read about how they are building triforce or whatever. I built him like a tank, and he tanked.

Secondly it's true that his grab isn't as powerful as Blitz's or or Ammumu's. But then you have the power of both their grabs with the caveat of not being able to go through walls. Whether you need to go to them, or you need them closer it's within your ability. It's also way easier to hit than either of their skill shots. I'm pretty decent with a Blitz grab too, but easier is easier.

How he's better than Blitz. He's just simply better at defending a point. Way better. Blitz has little aoe and so has trouble getting rid of a minion wave(Unless you want to waste your ult on minions while you have 2-3 enemy players getting ready to attack). And he's tankier than Blitz(though doesn't do as much single target damage). He is capable of a bit of burst damage though. Ult/grab/E/passive hit will do a number on most none tanky champs.

His CD's aren't really that long. In fact they are comparable to Blitz's. Especially since I built max CDR.

My build:

I wanted a health item at the beginning that allowed me to get boots as well, so I got a Kindlegem. Then I built as follows

Boots(I went Ionian)
Frozen Heart
FoN
Hextech Sweeper
Sunfire Cloak
And was starting an Abyssal Scepter

Which as a full build is right under 14k. And gives him great resists/Max CDR/Health/movespeed/health regen/mana and a bit of AP. I really think FH and FoN are core for him as a tank. And I think once you got your Sweeper, you could probably trade in the boots for ones more appropriate.