How many games do you expect to play before you reach your true Elo?

< 10 Games 180 1.63%
11-40 Games 819 7.41%
41-80 Games 1,162 10.51%
81-120 Games 1,738 15.73%
121-160 Games 665 6.02%
161-200 Games 929 8.41%
200-399 Games 1,703 15.41%
400-599 Games 1,089 9.85%
600-799 Games 457 4.13%
800-999 Games 170 1.54%
1000+ Games 2,140 19.36%
Voters: 11052. You may not vote on this poll

Help Riot improve matchmaking! Looking for examples of bad matchmaking

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Psybeerian

02-16-2012

Wow no wonder there are so many whines on the board when over half the people expect to find their true elo in 200 games or less.

Jizzter

02-16-2012

1) What is your Summoner name?
****ter

2) What was the game mode? (Normal, Normal Draft, Ranked)
Ranked (Of Course)

3) What was the map? (Summoner’s Rift, Dominion, Twisted Treeline)
Summoners Rift

4) Were you queuing with a friend?
a. If yes, how many friends? (1, 2, 3, 4?)
b. If yes, and ranked, what were you and your friends’ Elo(s)?
c. If yes, and normal mode or normal draft, what was the Level and win/loss of you and your friends?

a) No just solo queue;
b) N/A
c) N/A

5) If you are below Level 30, do you have a Level 30 account?
Not below level 30.

6) Any specific reason(s) you felt the game was unbalanced?
Everyone on my team didn't work as a team and died a bunch of times (As shown in screenshots attached)

7) A screenshot of the end-game score
Done

P.S I know the name isn't great but its like a tattoo one gets when you're young, than you regret it later on in life. You know.

EDITED BY LYTE ::: Saved the screenshot, thanks! Maybe you could message Player Support and request a name change?

Nnyone

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-16-2012

A quick thought based off the data you have and the players have from ranked and the k-factor you mentioned. or maybe not so quick.. hmmm...>.>

Perhaps a vague elo adjustment could be displayed for the player on his ranked stats base off current elo compared to win rate/stats with that champ. (E.G. my win rate with karthus is 80%, since its above the 50% elo tries to achieve my karthus is considered 1560 elo when my actual elo is 1200. Conversely my Master Yi is a 25% win rate so my elo on him is considered 600 ).

Reasoning behinds this is at the very least a player has a better idea of what they are better at.

The next level of this would be players having an option to queue intending to play a certain role (support, top, mid, jungle, bot lane carry) where the combined k-factor for all the champs tagged in that role is used in matchmaking as an adjusting factor. (E.G. I've got a high stats(assists etc) and winrate with janna/sona/alistar, so the MM says ok I'll consider you as a higher elo player for this next match and also try not to pair you with another player who wants to play bot lane support. When I get in to champ select MM has me flagged as wanting to bottom lane support, and even if I pull out 0 CS ashe or something non traditional but win as bot lane support its a +elo to that role for me as well as the regular rewards, and possibly adds that instance of that champion to the role pool for adjustment.

TlR
1: players can see a vague guess elo adjustment on their ranked champ stats based off win rate and stats (normal 1200, on this xyz champ ~1600 elo)

2: MM uses this adjustment in combo with a "Hey I want to do this role" selection when queuing to get a better match and lower chance of role overlap.

3: role elo adjustment continues to accrue off your games played and champs used in those roles when you choose to use the group/role queuing system solely for use in matchmaking and your eyes only stats.

4: if this addition is successful your role elo should eventually match your real elo if you specialize/practice in a role or are equally good/bad at all roles.

Master Ruseman

02-16-2012

Heres an idea to improve matchmaking, get your balance ****ing right.

Raburi

02-16-2012

1) What is your Summoner name?
Raburi

2) What was the game mode?
Normal

3) What was the map?
Summonerís Rift

4) Were you queuing with a friend?
a. If yes, how many friends? 1
b. If yes, and ranked, what were you and your friendsí Elo(s)? Not ranked
c. If yes, and normal mode or normal draft, what was the Level and win/loss of you and your friends? Me: 370 wins (unsure about losses, but it's lower than 370) Lamethrower: 176 wins (unsureabout losses, lower than wins)

5) If you are below Level 30, do you have a Level 30 account? Lv. 30.

6) Any specific reason(s) you felt the game was unbalanced? My team had no ranked players, theirs had a high ranked elo twitch who was killing everyone left right and centre.

7) A screenshot of the end-game score
This game happened before I was aware of the thread, but the twitch ended up 24/6/5, the rest of their team was negative and our team had moderate kills (I was 8/6/6 as Soraka)

Ginga

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

02-16-2012

So...is it just me, or does anyone else have a large collection of screenshots stored in their computer ever since discovering this thread?

I never had any before, but now I have 4 screenshots that involved either a 0/12/4 or a leaver....woulda been more had I remembered to take more screenshots.

Crueltii

02-16-2012

i dont like multiple choice, it doesent allow you to have deeper thoughts than those who wrote it

GrimsIey

02-16-2012

bumping to first page again.

Aloretec

02-16-2012

I just had a ranked game where my entire team was unranked. 3 people on the other team were 1300+ and the other 2 were between 1250 and 1300

SR, ranked, EraserxRain, yes I was duel queue with 1 friend, 12xx something. less then 1250 though.

Lyte

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

02-17-2012
54 of 173 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golux View Post
Have you analyzed the data to see if LoL games really are streaky (in the sense of a player having longer runs of wins or losses than a series of coin flips would have)? It's well known that people tend to see streaks whether or not they exist (just something about human nature), see for example the classic paper by David Levine "Do Baseball Players Have Hot Streaks?" (it's on the web for those who are interested).

Is LoL actually streaky?

Of course, regardless of whether it is or isn't streaky in the technical sense, you might want to do something to "de-streakify" it, because you are quite right it is discouraging. I'm just curious as to whether LoL is actually streaky or not.
I come from a psychological background, so I am well-aware that humans tend to see patterns where none exist. Interestingly in my prior research life, I read numerous publications about how randomized algorithms often had to be artificially 'broken' and made less random because people would see patterns and complain the algorithms weren't actually randomized!

I am currently investigating the patterns of streaks in League to determine if there are extreme abnormalities.