How many games do you expect to play before you reach your true Elo?

< 10 Games 180 1.63%
11-40 Games 819 7.41%
41-80 Games 1,162 10.51%
81-120 Games 1,738 15.73%
121-160 Games 665 6.02%
161-200 Games 929 8.41%
200-399 Games 1,703 15.41%
400-599 Games 1,088 9.85%
600-799 Games 457 4.14%
800-999 Games 170 1.54%
1000+ Games 2,140 19.36%
Voters: 11051. You may not vote on this poll

Help Riot improve matchmaking! Looking for examples of bad matchmaking

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rammblin13

02-15-2012

There is nobody who has played more ranked games than me this season I am guessing. There is much I could tell you. It took me well over 1000 games to reach an elo where I felt that I belonged. Then within 11 games I got trolled out and am currently about 700 elo below where I belong after completely giving up on your broken system. Anyways some points I have:

-duo queues are a big problem. Even in the 1700s I was getting matched with and against people in the 1300s thanks to duo queues. Your math just doesn't seem to add up with these. The difference in skill between a 1300 player and a 1700 player is MUCH MUCH greater than between a 1700 player and a 2100 player.

-Of course, trolls are a problem. Add some protection at champ select. Vote kicks, free queue dodges, something. That would improve matchmaking more than anything else I think.

-There needs to be more protection against long losing streaks, or heck maybe even long winning streaks. You can get very unlucky and lose say 10 straight games thanks to bad luck, and then have to spend 50 or 100 games just getting your elo back up

-Getting matched with players on your ignore list. This should never happen. Ever. No matter what.

Kalimar

02-15-2012

Playing ranked with new people once you claw your way back to 1200....You realize NEW people start in 1200...HORRIBLE decision.

Please make new people start at 1000 or something else

Plenty of good games at 1100....

At 1200 you get NEW people who just want to try ranked....

C00LST0RYBR0

02-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawpower405 View Post
riot could start by using some informants to the elo gain. The way elo gains are currently based, you could play perfectly and still lose elo, despite the fact that you played a great game. Elo gains/losses should be adjusted by game performance. Riot keeps track of everything. Even if you were to simply incporate the team's total K/D/A would be a huge step in the right direction.

No pure elo system works very well. Adjusting the elo algorithm for margin of victory would massively improve and speed up placement.

I could go on at length about how to improve the ratings gains/losses, but I know you riot employees don't like reading long diatribes.
kda doesn't win games
snowballing gives biased results
hard / impossible to fairly rate support junglers/tanks/supports

I've thought about this a ton, and couldn't come up with anything remotely accurate / fair.

AA247

02-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by C00LST0RYBR0 View Post
kda doesn't win games
hard to impossible to fairly rate support junglers/tanks/supports
but we need more reasons to encourage ppl to not play supports especially after the nerf

Dragonk

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-15-2012

I will say this, because of the system you are forced to duo que to actually gain elo. If you want to play ranked alone you might as well play roulette and make some money if your that lucky. Also sometimes in a match you will get elo differences of 200+ (without a duo), I find this to be unacceptable. Sometimes duo partners can skew elo to such a point where it's impossible for you to fathom how MM even came up with the player team compositions.

AA247

02-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalimar View Post
Playing ranked with new people once you claw your way back to 1200....You realize NEW people start in 1200...HORRIBLE decision.

Please make new people start at 1000 or something else

Plenty of good games at 1100....

At 1200 you get NEW people who just want to try ranked....
and at 1500 ranked 5s u get pro teams like curse and goose. :/

C00LST0RYBR0

02-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA247 View Post
but we need more reasons to encourage ppl to not play supports especially after the nerf
a system that limits your choices is bad

rawpower405

02-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by C00LST0RYBR0 View Post
kda doesn't win games
hard / impossible to fairly rate support junglers/tanks/supports

I've thought about this a ton, and couldn't come up with anything remotely accurate / fair.
I'm very confident that TEAM kda demonstrates the superior victor. I wrote a lengthy post about this about a year and a half ago showing it.

Of the top of my head, simple differences in ELO predicted a 55% win rate, while the true win rate was 69%. Using the TEAM'S kda predicted a 68% win rate. Considerably better.

KDA is very much correlated with the winning team. IE the team with the better K+A/D is generally the team that wins. The greater the disparity, the greater the stomp.

Ginga

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

02-15-2012

@Lyte - can you address what's wrong with dumping ALL the penalty/ELO loss on the leaver/AFKer is someone leaves/AFK's during a Ranked game for a significant enough time?

You, and a few others say it can be abused, either by....

1a) 4 players in a losing team will rage at the 1 doing badly to force him to leave to save themselves.

or

2a) people in arranged teams will take turns leaving to save the entire teams of ELO losses.

But I countered with...

1b) Raging is a bannable offense(I hope). All that one player has to do at post game is report his 4 raging team mates for "Verbal Abuse"(hell, get the enemy team to report with him), they get sent to the tribunal, and the 4 ragers get suspended/banned. That's 4 less ragers the community has to deal with. If they make new accounts and play like this again, they get banned again, etc. etc. This system saves undeserved ELO loss as well as weed out bad eggs in the community.

2b) Asides from the obvious, no one in a community like this is selfless enough to take ELO loss for 5 person at once, there's also the fact that you get banned if you AFK/Leave too
often
. Just like in #1, those who abuse this system will eventually get weeded out.

PS - I have quite a few suggestion about how to deal with trolls that always appear in pre-game champion select. Please give some input in the thread please? Any drawbacks? Why or why wouldn't those suggestions work out?

C00LST0RYBR0

02-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonk View Post
I will say this, because of the system you are forced to duo que to actually gain elo. If you want to play ranked alone you might as well play roulette and make some money if your that lucky. Also sometimes in a match you will get elo differences of 200+ (without a duo), I find this to be unacceptable. Sometimes duo partners can skew elo to such a point where it's impossible for you to fathom how MM even came up with the play combinations it did.
duo q works just fine. as does solo q. if you can't raise in elo, you need to improve your gameplay. it's that simple.