Vaulting off Tyrant Swain's proposal - splitting Ask Threads from RP

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ergheis

01-18-2013

Something worthy of thought over here.

Basically, Ask threads have become.... Convoluted. You might have a massive RP going on in one ask thread, while another is an editorial for question format only.

this makes it slightly hard to keep things in a universal RP. Not impossible, but confusing. It also starves actual RP threads which are having their settings taken from them. On top of that, it makes the RP in these ask threads slightly odd: hey we're busy fighting, but lemme just split the story and answer questions.... Ok back to fighting.

So, a proposition to split Ask Threads is made. Have a thread, as it used to be, made specifically for asking questions. Have it be a written column, just like it used to be. This thread is distinctly for examining the champion and learning about them, in a universal format, so it's simple to read and ask questions.

Then, if you wish to make an RP of a specific place, you may do so. This way the RP of the community stays more consistent, you don't need to deal with the "2+ places at once" conundrum, and your champion is a solid character in the RP Universe.

This would allow for much more ambitious RP as well. Ashe can be Ashe, can do things as Ashe, in this static universe. She can leave on a peace talk with Sejuani, get slapped, and get in a hissy fight, all while still being able to answer questions.

How does that sound?

Ask the Tempest

01-18-2013

*__*
That would be great...

AODRG

01-18-2013

The problem is most people like to rp in their threads. Think of it as their home that they let others come in to ask them stuff. There's not much wrong with the way things are...people can either start up RP-ing with them or simply ask them a question and move on.

Not to say your idea is bad or anything, but I personally just don't see a problem with the way things are run now.

Ask Fizz

01-18-2013

We could (should?) split X's house- and Ask- threads. Like I could have an 'Ask Fizz' thread, strictly for questions, and a 'Fizz's Home and around' thread for people who'd want to drop by and say hello and RP a little bit (now this happens in the Ask- threads, which makes both no sense and puts people off from, you know, asking questions in Ask- threads...).
Maybe also another good idea would be to make threads for each location in Valoran, and RP in them... though this might get convulted very quickly.

(Compare current Ask Koggy and Ask Nautilus... Naut's would stay, Koggy's would become a different type of thread and a new Ask Koggy would be started.)

Ergheis

01-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by AODRG View Post
The problem is most people like to rp in their threads. Think of it as their home that they let others come in to ask them stuff. There's not much wrong with the way things are...people can either start up RP-ing with them or simply ask them a question and move on.

Not to say your idea is bad or anything, but I personally just don't see a problem with the way things are run now.
The way things are run now, there's a "responsibility" to be in your thread at all times.

Our current setup works but it limits the RP Universe from developing. If Klarth asks Lux on a date, her thread now has a predicament. If she leaves, she shouldn't be there anymore, naturally. However, if people want to continue asking questions, they either can't, or they ask anyway. Then, Lux must

A) come up with a way to respond while away
B) answer anyway, having a second copy of herself
C) not go on the date in the first place.
D) not answer at all

Now this all sorts itself out anyway, but different people take different directions with it, so there's no clear understanding on what is going on.

It's not like you can't RP in their home. If Lux or any other champion wants to make a Lux's home RP, she can do it. This simply splits the Questions into another thread.

@Fizz, that's what I'm asking, yes. On things getting convoluted, it's convoluted as it is with subsections in the "A day in" threads, so thaaaaats not a problem.

Ask Fizz

01-18-2013

The problem is the community standard. Right now your proposed setup works and exists in some places... however it is not the standard. We need to find a creative way of making it it...
Engage brainstorming mode.
EDIT: By convulted I meant if, say, Garen and Lux go to Ionia on vacation, then they move off from the Demacia thread and into the Ionia thread. Now we have to keep track of all that stuff, for every. champion (110) and OC's?? That's probably worse then it is now... and we might happen to have too many locations. Valoran is a biiiiiiiiiiiiiig plac, and we'd probably need 2-3 threads per city-state.

Shrain

01-18-2013

I happen to really like this idea.

I feel like this isn't to say you can't "RP" in your own ask thread (I mean, the very fact you're portraying your character IS RPing, right?) - because the way you go about answering the question can be creative! Example:
RandomUserBob: Dear Blitzcrank, how do you type with boxing gloves on?
AskBlitzcrank: Upon reading the question, Blitzcranks inner works fail, causing a wave of potentially deadly electricity to flood the vicinity around him. Many creeps were lost, but the battle had been won... "But to answer your question, summoner, I do not type with boxing gloves on. For my computer is located in my chest."

If someone comes into the thread pulling out all the stops with things like: Bob Dole heroically leaps into the scene, flailing his arms like a deranged rabbit trying to stop an oncoming car."HAI TRUNDLE JUST WANTED TO ASK WHAT YOU LIKE TO WATCH."
It doesn't mean you have to respond to his actions - just his words.

However - I feel like Q&A threads should be separate to all other things. Having your champion chilling at home/fighting at home/dating at... home? - should all be fine to do while also managing your Q&A. It's like answering e-mails, or letters, or being on a talk show. It's fun side stuff to do in your spare time, while you manage your "4serious" stuff as well.

Amirite?

Ask Fizz

01-18-2013

Also to fix the 4+ copies of yourself which makes sense for, say, Shaco or LeBlanc but not anybody else, we should make Ask- threads officially out-of-universe, as in they don't exist anywhere, it's just clarification for questions.
So you don't need to come up for an excuse as to why you are answering questions while fighting for your life...
Actually, forget 'why', ask 'how'.

((EDIT: Wukong can clone himself too... don't know if he can control his clones though.))

Ask Talon

01-18-2013

You mean... Do thinks like we used to?

I need to get around to making the "Institute Commons thread I've been meaning to. Working on the OP now.

Ergheis

01-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ask Fizz View Post
Also to fix the 4+ copies of yourself which makes sense for, say, Shaco or LeBlanc but not anybody else, we should make Ask- threads officially out-of-universe, as in they don't exist anywhere, it's just clarification for questions.
So you don't need to come up for an excuse as to why you are answering questions while fighting for your life...
Actually, forget 'why', ask 'how'.
The way it used to be done, the questions were "columns" in the newspaper. Like the editor column in a magazine, the champions answer questions "mailed" to them.

It would be the same process as before, a second person view as the mailed coversation is public.

If you wanted to make secret plans, you would do it INSIDE the universe, and receive mail in the RP, and so on.