Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Is Prospector's Ring actually worth it?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hawktitan

02-16-2012

You get tear when you want a large mana pool. You don't get it for the regen. Ryze or tanky Blizt (get a quick Manamorne) for example.

Stralucire

02-16-2012

Oh yeah, forgot about the blitz shield. Good point.

BigDaddyDelish

02-16-2012

They are pretty efficient items if you ask me. The hp is what really sold me on the item, because in addition to it you get nearly as much ap as a blasting wand along with some bonus mp5, which has saved my ass numerous times.

It helps a ton in the early fight up top, but you are right in saying that it delays your bigger items. At the same time though, you won't get those bigger items anyway if you lose because your early game blows so hard.

jars

02-17-2012

mp5 is very useful at the first fight at top where you might get 1 health pack if you are lucky. I always burn my entire mana bar. a catalyst is not comparable because it has no ap and you can't get boots.

prospectors items in general are very useful for the first fight at top, more so than dorans items on sr.

Yaladilae

02-17-2012

I feel is better to use haunting guise if you play a non heavy mana reliant AP, but if you do, that mana regen does help

Ulstan

02-17-2012

I don't know why I would by prospectors ring over catalyst or tear if it is mana I am concerned about.

If I am playing someone who needs more mana (blitz,ryze, mayyybe Karthus?), there are much better options than prospector's ring.

If I'm not playing someone who needs mana regen, the prospector's ring is not particularly efficiently priced and you may as well skip it and buy components that will build into mid game items instead.

Zavy

02-17-2012

I used to buy Prospector's items at the beginning. Now I find that building something at the beginning that leads to a top end item is more effective, and I save Prospector's for item number four or so.

v4v3nd3774

02-17-2012

Quote:
Stralucire:
Why anyone would choose Tear over Chalice in Dom is beyond me. 30 MR seems far more useful than 350 mana.

Because Chalice as a stand alone item is pretty sub-par. 30MR is useful but increasing your mp5 by 1% for each 1% missing is based on your current mp5, to really make the item shine you need multiple mp5 items(at half mana 50% more of 7mp5 is a wopping 3.5mp5). Then you run the issue of it being redundant because you have so much mp5. Tear on the other hand gives you the same 7mp5 but also a sizeable pool to draw from which is important for two reasons. One, it allows you more time to let that 7mp5 go to work before bone dry. And two, it allows more flexibility between constant spamability and burst skill useage. For instance, chalice on something like Urgot might be fine if he tosses out an E and 1-2 Qs every 12 seconds but someone like Kass who's going to use 100+110+80 to RQE and then another 200 to R away or finish him off would prefer a bit more base mana to attempt that burst one more time in the next 10seconds. Not suggesting that these are prefered or required items for either of these champions, just using their relative playstyles to demostrate my point.

Also, Tear has the benifet of turning into something usable for most mana reliant champs that purchase it, while Chalice does not.

Sir Headless VII

02-17-2012

I usually start with a philosophers stone, boots and two pots on casters. Mainly I do this on Hiemer since he doesn't need the extra ap to start and I will be building a rylais anyways so I don't need the straight health. The health and mana regen are awesome when you are pushing bot lane for a while and the extra little bit of extra gold is always nice too (but truthfully is secondary).