Is Prospector's Ring actually worth it?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

jars

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-15-2012

I almost always start with a prospector item for the +200 health

Stralucire

02-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAARRRRGGGGGHHHH View Post
For 40 less gold you can buy a Ruby and an Amp Tome.

You'll be down 10 AP, 20 HP, and the mana regen, but you'll be 475+435g closer towards your bigger items.
Items like a Hextech Sweeper, which is such a critical item to playing a caster in dominion I'm not sure what I'd do without it.

It's always the mana regen that I come back to. Frankly, if Prospectors ring had 5% CDR in place of the mana regen, I'd consider it an absolute must have. Even if they raised the price 50 gold. Between health packs and all the sapphire crystals I end up stacking in order to get other items I want (shen, glacial shard, catalyst) mana quickly becomes a non-issue.

Phourc

02-16-2012

I dunno about other champs, but the ones I play (especially Malzahar) tend to oom easy, and the regen is very handy. Often, the prospector's is the only hp item I'll get for the first half or so of the game, and I feel that 200 extra HP helps more often than not.

And, since no one else mentioned it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stralucire View Post
The slot isn't so important as the time delay. On some champs (Ziggs, Nidalee) I want to get a lich bane asap, the sooner the better.
I dunno at what point you consider 'ASAP', but lich bane is a terrible item to rush in general - you need at least one other AP item before upgrading from sheen's passive to LB's actually improves the damage.

Stralucire

02-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phourc View Post
I dunno at what point you consider 'ASAP', but lich bane is a terrible item to rush in general - you need at least one other AP item before upgrading from sheen's passive to LB's actually improves the damage.
I don't disagree at all. Unfortunately (unhappily) I generally don't even want it for the on hit boost. I want it for the movement speed. If I could get MS from a different caster item I'd probably forget Lich Bane altogether (unless it really suited the champ). The MS often marks the difference between escape and slaughter if I go up against a bruiser or melee assassin.

lbgsloan

02-16-2012

It's the same logic as double doran's on SR, giving you a stronger early game but slowing other items. The ring and blade are extremely cost effective, and I rarely end up needing the slot back. The only times I do not buy ring on a mage is when rushing RoA, using Ryze, or rushing revolver on a manaless mage.

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-16-2012

The main issue is that mana regen is so bad in Dominion. Hence these are practically lost stats. 10 MP5 is technically worth 600 gold too so there goes your efficiency.

You instead get 200 health (worth 500) and 30 AP (worth 600) = 1100 gold worth of stuff.

Still somewhat efficient, but most champs have better starts available.

Catalyst gives even moar health, straight up mana which is better than regen on Dominion, plus the strong sustain effect which you definitely take advantage of early and often in dominion.

It leads of course to the excellent Rod of Ages (for many champs) or the Odins veil eventually.

Tear/Boots is another common config for those that reallllly need tons of mana. That works better than Prospectors in the long run.

Or some simply go with a blasting rod and boots to get a faster start on their Deathcap, and a bit better AP to start.

ChaoticHypnotic

02-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stralucire View Post
Items like a Hextech Sweeper, which is such a critical item to playing a caster in dominion I'm not sure what I'd do without it.
When I need a Hextech Sweeper early (part of my Brand build, for example), I start with a Kindlegem instead of a Prospector Ring.

The Kindlegem actually builds into something, offers the same 200 HP, and gives the CDR up front.

I feel MP5 is a completely wasted and unnecessary stat in Dominion, and I generally avoid it like the plague. But, there are some cases where this is not possible (like the times I take casters without the need for a Kindlegem path, resulting in me taking Prospector Ring).

I just wish there were an item similar to Morello's Evil Tome that didn't waste space on the MP5. I'd be ecstatic if it were replaced with MR instead.

Hawktitan

02-16-2012

I hate the Prospector's ring with a passion of a thousand suns. Ok, not really but I don't like the item.

If I wanted to get health and AP I'd rather work towards a Hextech Sweeper or Haunting Guise. The MP5 seems trivial when health packs restore mana combined with the fact that you can quickly return to base. Personally I almost feel that the health packs shouldn't restore mana to make MP5 a stat that might actually be wanted.

nukular power

02-16-2012

I am happy to see a teammate buying either a Prospectors or Catalyst first.

I cry when I see a teammate (or more than one) with a Tear (unless it's Ryze, and even then.. meh.)

Stralucire

02-16-2012

Why anyone would choose Tear over Chalice in Dom is beyond me. 30 MR seems far more useful than 350 mana.