Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Is Prospector's Ring actually worth it?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Stralucire

02-15-2012

Well rounded, perhaps. But most of the time I find it just delays getting the top end bonuses that I really rely on, like Lich Bane's movement, or Frozen Heart's AS reduction, or Deathcap's AP bonus.

Although I haven't done the math, I imagine that it's fairly gold efficient for the bonuses granted. Except that the little mana regen makes almost no feasible difference in play (IE, I've never been glad to have it, and I've never missed passing it up). This brings the whole efficiency down a couple notches and is the reason I normally pass it up.

Anyone feel different, that the ring is a must-have?

v4v3nd3774

02-15-2012

It's very well rounded and efficient. Generally casters will need that mana regen, especially early game. Quite a while ago I used to spam Ap shaco and Gragas games, trying to avoid getting it but always going back to it because that 7mp5 was actually pretty make or break for the early fight for top and the next couple fights after. The only exception was once I decided to start rushing DFG on Shaco, which made me start amp tome + meki.

Also keep in mind on standard APs you *won't* be getting 6 items, likely not even 4 or 5, just because Deathcap costs so much. So buying one of the most cost efficient early game items that "eats up a slot" is not bad at all.

Kedali

02-15-2012

The main reason to get it is the hp. It's something like 25% more hp at lvl 3, which can make a huge difference in the initial fighting.

Stralucire

02-15-2012

I generally don't seem to have mana trouble without it. Every so often as Lux or Maokai, on a really long windmill battle, I'll get stretched thin on mana. But outside of that (and outside of galio, who should start with chalice anyway) it isn't much of a problem.

The slot isn't so important as the time delay. On some champs (Ziggs, Nidalee) I want to get a lich bane asap, the sooner the better.

Sauron

02-15-2012

Prospector/Doran items are always worth it if your build does not focus on lots of midgame items (like guise and visage).

They are also sometimes worth it if your build DOES focus on lots of midgame items.

Prospector items are awesome.

Mister Omega

02-15-2012

Prospector's Ring is almost worth it for the HP and AP alone, but a lot of champs really make great use out of it. Alistar, for example, is a mana FIEND. Annie makes good use out of it, for charging up her stuns inbetween fights. It's useful on Morgana bottom against certain opponents, you run the serious risk of being pushed out of your lane by opponents such as Heimer and Nasus without one due to running out of mana. Kassadin always wants more mana, and greatly appreciates the health at ANY point in the game. Brand has 3 spells to cast plus an ult, and as such tends to run OOM during prolonged bouts of activity.

DivineBovine

02-15-2012

Dat Health.

Dat Price.

Why NOT get them! They are such solid early game items!

The Wrongsword

02-15-2012

hp is really the best stat coming out of the gate for any champ, and for casters there arent a lot of ways to get that easily, other than a ruby crystal to go into guise or a giants belt to go into rylai's. prospectors ring is just nice for early power for a lot of builds

But i do agree its *less* efficient, though still not bad if you want the AP and HP but not the mana regen. In that situation, I think taking ruby crystal and tome and going into guise early might be better, but its still a decent little item. Not mandatory though.

Prospector's blade is similar actually- if i want the lifesteal i love it, but if i dont then i try to avoid it

AAARRRRGGGGGHHHH

02-15-2012

Quote:
DivineBovine:
Dat Health.

Dat Price.

Why NOT get them! They are such solid early game items!

For 40 less gold you can buy a Ruby and an Amp Tome.

You'll be down 10 AP, 20 HP, and the mana regen, but you'll be 475+435g closer towards your bigger items.

Personally I think Prospector's Ring could use a little help. Blade is worth two Long Swords worth of AD and comes with some lifesteal, while Ring is only worth 1.5x Amp Tomes worth of AP and comes with mana regen (which you already get buttloads of for free)

Isysar

02-15-2012

If you're going bottom, FORGET Prospector's ring entirely. I don't care what champion you are, buying a Catalyst is entirely better for bottom lane.

That said, I do get it on APs Top lane. You need boots up there, and has has been said, it is a rather efficient item. Still, a Ruby Crystal and a Amplifying Tome made for a decent start as well, and a faster guise.

I rarely play AP top, but it may be better to open with a Crystal/Tome.