ISO help with heimer skills/builds

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Raist819

07-25-2010

Here's what I've been doing the few times i get to pick heimer (about 50 ranked games only about 5-6 with heimer in soloque so far, right at 50/50 with a 11xx elo)

My runes are magic pen reds, mp5/lvl yellows, MR/lvl blues, move speed quints.

I go tear of the goddess, merc treads, zhonya's ring, soulstealer, and then usually void staff

i prioritize q/e/r/w

I take mid and try to stay near my turrets. usually attempt to use ult + ring + grenades to kill any would be gankers and otherwise just push.

In some games I feel overpowered and in others I get rolled. I'm wondering if it's my build, if I need to l2p, or if heimer isn't as OP as I thought.

All comments/suggestions are welcome.

Thth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

07-25-2010

Some quick points:

I strongly suggest taking teleport as one of your summoner spells. Heimer wins with siegingó an uninterrupted momentum of your turrets and being able to lane switch quickly helps greatly. The other spell should be flash/ghost as an escape mechanism, or clarity if mana regen/level seals aren't enough for you.

Your glyphs and quints are better off used for magic penetration. Heimer is a glass cannon so mr isn't prioritized, and move speed quints are just silly.

Merc treads should be used situationally against cc hell teams. Most of the time you could get away with sorc boots assuming smart positioning and play.

Get soulstealer before zhonya's. Snowball items should always be obtained before core items.

Turret momentum is extremely important. Having two turrets kills a minion wave twice as fast as having one. If your single turret is being shot down every time after you create it, back up to a more conservative positioning so the turret lasts through to the next creep wave. You'll notice much less mana problems with proper momentum. (If conservative positioning isn't enough, just put turrets near your tower until you can place 3 of them at once. If you're struggling to get damage on their tower, it isn't worth it.)

Don't be afraid to buy wards. Heimer is one of the best farmers, so cost isn't a problem, and being shut-down in the early-game is extremely detrimental to Heimerdinger. Maintain your farming advantage.

Get the golem buff whenever possible. A good time to start doing this is either after you siege the first mid tower down or if you're especially having trouble in mid. Unlimited mana and lowered cooldowns makes you unstoppable. It's usually opportune to utilize golem buff by gathering your team together to siege through mid when you have the buff after the laning phase.

Utilize your advantage of being in mid. Siege down the mid tower as soon as possible, and move on to a side lane (let someone take over mid if it's still being worked upon by the opponent), and then another, as long as the game's in the laning phase.

Heimerdinger is only "overpowered" if the enemy team cannot initiate on him without putting themselves at a great disadvantage by being in your turret field. Take steps to prevent yourself from being an initiatee, with wards and good team coordination, before you siege.

Unfortunately, in your elo range, the overall skill levels of the players can fluctuate quite a bit, and the times you get rolled are usually a direct result of this. Team coordination is one of the things that primarily differentiates one's skill level. Take the initiative and ping, shout, and spam your teammates with advice to improve them as much as possible if you notice anything lacking.

Those're pretty much the essential pointers in response to your post. Feel free to check out my guide (note the hotlink) for more information; there's a lot. Feel free to ask some questions if you have any, on my guide thread or here.

Raist819

07-26-2010

thanks a ton, this is going to be helpful information

Raist819

07-26-2010

I don't own magic pen quints and can not afford them atm. while I earn them would hp quints be a good replacement for the MS quints?

BiggerFish

07-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raist819 View Post
I don't own magic pen quints and can not afford them atm. while I earn them would hp quints be a good replacement for the MS quints?
hp is always a good catchall, especially early game.

try rushing a RoA first, then boots, then whatever, for me usually zhonya's or mejais, depends whats going on. after that just build whatever you feel like really, rylais, dfg, that sort of ****. oh, and mpen only works on your missles/nades, but the scepter... forgot its name, the one that lowers enemy mr by 20, that one works with your turrets.

Q>R>W>E

thats turrets - ult - missles - nades.

but your lvl 2 point should be nades for the stun/blind.

by mana crystal first, then as soon as you have enough for cata, drop a turret or 2 at your tower, port back, grab cata and golem buff (your either on mid or golem side lane right?) after that spam missles, keep your nade for stun/blind escape and push your turrets up. easy peezy

Thth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

07-26-2010

@Raist819:
Flat hp quints are in general accepted as one of the best quintessences as they help people survive/win level 1 battles. Heimerdinger isn't really a champion to partake in these, but the quints will help with early-harass and be much more noticeable than a 4.5% movespeed increase.

@BiggerFish:

RoA isn't a necessity on Heimerdinger— both glass-cannon builds and more conservative hp-builds (RoA, Rylai's) work fine on him, as long as he's being pumped with ap.

Magic penetration does work with turrets. In-fact, obtaining magic penetration even modifies the damage output of turrets already placed. I've tested it.

Rocket builds give greater pushability, while grenade builds give greater siegeability. How viable both are depend upon one's opponents— one skill build shouldn't be used exclusively. I usually even skip UPGRADE!!! until after I siege down the mid-tower (~level 10). An excerpt from my guide on the matter:

Quote:
Concerning grenades and rockets:
Grenades are generally better than rockets. While rockets provide greater push-ability with the capability of hitting 3 targets and being assured to hit, grenades are far superior in being able to reach behind the minion line (which no non-idiotic opponent would go in front of against a rocket-Heimer) to hit enemy champions and the tower. Pushability on the otherhand could be assured with a proper build-up of momentum of your turrets, in that they remain in numbers of 2/3 rather than be destroyed throughout minion waves, allowing for minions be pushed at a much greater pace. The siegeability of grenades are thus utilized most with an unrestrained wave of allied minions advance to buffer the enemy tower, upon which time Oppenheimer would place a turret in the line of your ranged minions to siege away significant health. Your grenades would be able to keep the enemy champion away from destroying your turret with its 1.5 second stun and lengthly blind capabilities.
(I then continue to list exceptions)