So I suck balls...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheWaveWizard

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralGerf View Post
Thank you guys! You're good people. It's refreshing to have a welcoming community!

I'd say that getting a main champ that fits you is the hardest part. Keep trying. You'll get it.

BACKSTABUUU

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralGerf View Post
I don't think I've gotten to the part where I can do mastery or runes. When Purchasing items should I stick with the recommended stuff or experiment with different items? Lucky for me I do have friends to play with. I just need to get more experience.
The recommended items can help, but you should develop your own build and focus on your strengths, what helped me is that I would buy one of the "Doran's" items one game, recognize what part of them helped the most, then get an item that does purely that, then build it into something even better.

Damoklese

07-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by GogglesVK View Post

I'd say that getting a main champ that fits you is the hardest part. Keep trying. You'll get it.
This is true.

Its a great feeling when you find that first champ that you actually dominate with.

xpsychedelico

07-25-2010

I really recommend you watch some livestreams (links in General Discussion forum) and youtube videos/guides to get a good idea of how the game should go. It will give you a bigger picture of everything you should be doing, so you can concentrate on improving your gameplay instead of worrying about everything else.

It's really hard to fully understand the game, before you can even move on to attempting to mastering it. 3 weeks is probably not enough.

Something my friends and I did when we were starting out, was that every time there were new champions available, we'd create practice games against other players around the same level, and try out champions neither of us had played before. After the game we'd share the information we knew about the champions so that all of us could slowly digest the large amount of information regarding all the champions, and then figure out ways to deal with or counter them (it did help that they were DotA vets, but I had maybe a month of failing in DotA on me).

We also stuck to recommended items (which worked out very well for us) until we felt we had a good grasp of the basics and champions before we moved on to studying the items and tweaking our builds to suit things. Even now, we are still finding out new ways to build other champions.

Every game is a learning process, either learning from a mistake, or noticing an interesting combination used on an enemy champion or teammate, etc. The game is constantly changing and evolving.

BACKSTABUUU

07-25-2010

Gerf, what champs do you like to play? Who sounds interesting to you?

Genuwine21

07-26-2010

While it is good to test out the free champs every week, I have found when teaching new people how to play here is a logical cycle:

Tank (the extra health helps when they overcommit and makes them able to stay in team fights while not necessarily being overly strong on offense, teaching them to play as part of a team)

mid lvl dps (now they have learned the mechanics but want to be able to kill people, but still make mistakes, so someone with a little less health but more damage is nice)

support/caster/assassin (the lack of health of casters and assassins makes them troublesome for some players, but not all, so now that they have familiarized themselves with the champions they have fought they know what to be wary of and can murder enemies without worrying about overcommitting. As for support, at this point they should be able to play the role without screwing up by using abilities on the wrong people)

Note that this cycle is not a must follow, but allows for easiest introduction to new players who have never played DOTA games before.