So, we've nearly had two weeks of ranked play

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SCGaming

07-25-2010

and I still consider myself the strongest Katarina player in ranked. There is another player, whom I am unfamiliar with, that has been able to skyrocket through the solo queue rankings up to number 6, while I have been frustrated with my main and have been playing dozens of other champions to try to get something to work.

In this post, I'll dissect exactly what it takes to make Katarina dominate NO MATTER WHAT, which both scarra and I certainly understand.

First, let me dispell this illusion that everyone (including me at times) seems to have about Kat. YOU DO NOT NEED SURVIVABILITY ITEMS TO SUCCEED. KAT IS AN ASSASSIN, NOT A MELEE CARRY. KAT WILL BE USEFUL IN TEAMFIGHTS FOR ONE AND ONE THING ONLY, and that is ASSASSINATING CARRIES AND OTHER SQUISHIES. Sure, she has a heal reduction active. Sure, she's a **** good poker. But neither of these are her focus. Neither of these are the purpose of her implementation. Kat is useful for one and only one thing. KILL SQUISHIES, KILL KILL KILL.

What does this mean? What does it take to make Kat an effective killer? I'll walk you through that.

First off, everyone knows that Katarina is reliant on magic penetration for her skills, and that the most devestating builds for her involve the use of attack damage. And while you think they would be contradictory, they really aren't. Get your pen from your masteries, runes, and pen boots in game. DO NOT GET ANY MORE. If the game lasts long enough for you to have to get a void staff in game, then you or your team failed somewhere down the line, and you should just accept the fact that you played bad and take the loss head on.

I stated that she scales best with attack damage. You know what that means right? ONLY PURCHASE ITEMS WITH ATTACK DAMAGE, SPECIFICALLY ONLY BF SWORDS AND BLOODTHIRSTERS TO MAXIMIZE YOUR POTENTIAL.
Oh, by the way, Occult is **** on Kat. Wanna know why? because at 20 stacks you only get 10 more damage than a fully stacked bloodthirster, and it'll take you a hell of a long time to get those stacks in the first place. You wonder why you don't get any survivability? KAT NEEDS TO BE A THREAT 100% OF THE TIME TO ANY SQUISHIES, and that extra 400 health isn't going to make you look any more threatening, while that extra 50 damage will. The ONLY exceptions to this rule, are 3 items:
1. Fort Pot- right before a gamedeciding team fight, feel free to grab one of these. They're cheap and give you a big stat boost for the cost. Don't chug them however, as they eat into your available gold.
2. Guardian Angel- chances are decent that once you get a few fully stacked thirsters, you're going to get focused a bit harder in fights. This gives you the presence you need to be able to maximize your potential in late fights, but you have yo still position yourself wisely with this,a nd use it wisely. It's pointless to be the last one to die only to res and be killed again right?
3. Banshee's Veil- while I personally feel that Veil is a very overrated item, that doesn't mean it can't be extremely effective in a fight if you're able to avoid pokes that remove the shield. This will guarantee you a little extra time spinning round and round, though you do waste a good amount of the stats on it. Mana isn't exactly superb for Kat.

As for your runes, you must still always have pen quints and reds, not that anyone ever disputed that, but if you forgot for whatever reason, now you know. As for blues, you have the option of Magic Pen or Cooldown Reduction. After playing hundreds on games with both, I can't sit here and tell you which is better, because it really depends on the enemies comp and item builds. Do whichever you are more comfortable with.

You should only use dodge or health at 18 yellows. Dodge is a must if you got 21/9/0, and I favor health at 18 for 21/0/9. 21/9/0 is probably the best setup, though the extra experience is hard to give up for those midgame transitions.

In all honesty, you shouldn't give up your solo to ANYONE. Kat needs first blood and/or farm, so a solo is a MUST. Kat is able to first blood nearly every lane, save for Annie, Tristana, Ezereal or Twisted Fate, but when you play well you should be able to bait even those champions into a kill.

If you bothered to read through all this, I hope you have a better grasp on how to approach Kat in your future ranked games. Keep in mind that even if the enemy is loaded with CC, you can skill use some tricks such as brush fights and flanking to get some surprise kills.

Blacklisted

07-25-2010

stealth kat mini-guide

Rekirts

07-25-2010

SotO costs about 1/3 as much a bloodthirster, and you actually lose less if you die with her. It becomes cost efficient with little stacks.

Quintessence

07-25-2010

i am personally a big fan of sotO, if your playing kat properly you shouldn't really be dying anyways :/

Zi0nized

07-25-2010

Good read. I wish Ranked players would do these for all champions... 0_0

SCGaming

07-25-2010

SotO is terrible because you can't replenish your stacks easily once you've died, while a bit of quick farming will get your thirster back up to full capacity, which will give you a bigger bonus.

SotO can be very random as well, you can have a dry spell of no fighting for whatever reason until late game, in which case the sword would be completely useless, whereas you would have been able to get nearly another BF sword if you hadn't made that investment.

Believe me, I'm the Kat that plays against people that know how to use their CC, SotO is NEVER the answer.

Sailor Moon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-25-2010

You give some sound advice- with emphasis on some.

Other than that you seem like a pretty terrible katarina. I look forward to running into you mister I-Start-With-Four-Bars-Of-HP

Well- should we manage to be in the same Elo range anyway =/

Edit: Oh- and I think the biggest reason why I hate you is because you consider yourself the best Katarina of all time without any real backing.

Megashield

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-25-2010

what about some1 like say annie dropping her bear on you when you ulti, one of hte biggest frustrations, getting CCed during my ult.

dreamenddischarger

07-25-2010

Sailor, I shat on you last week. It was a great game, I believe we won in under 20 minutes.

Also, forgot to swap accounts. whoops.

Sailor Moon

07-25-2010

I never said I was good. I merely said that he was bad.

I'm actually far from being good at this game (and even further from high elo) while you are a beta top 500 ( i think i followed a few of your adventures on livestream (a very good kat i might add))

Edit : confirmation on under 25 minutes btw