Why does the middle lane solo instead of top or bottom? Why does it level faster?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vanilla Squid

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-25-2010

The first question is just out of curiosity. How was it decided that the middle lane should be the lane that is soloed? I know its towers are closer together, and it's closer to the fountain than the top/bottom are, but other than that I don't understand the difference. Does it have larger or smaller creep waves? (they look the same size to me) Perhaps if top or bottom was solo than the other team could bring a big group there and the 2 champs opposite would take too long to traverse the map to help out in time?

My second question is why does someone soloing a lane level faster? As far as I can tell, a champion gets experience points for being nearby when a minion/creep is killed. I can hug my tower while it mows down minions and purple exp numbers will fly above my head, even if I'm not attacking. Can 2 people not do this at the same time? Does it split the experience gained? I know that gold is only given out on last hits, which may explain why certain item-dependent characters need to solo a lane, but why do they level faster?

Sorry if my questions are noobish or pointless >_>

PENHALIGAN

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-25-2010

To answer the first question, we usually put the carry, the person who will be the one getting all the kills and pushing, in the middle so that they level faster and can gank more because they are closer to both top and bottom lanes.

To answer the second question, say if one person gets 30% exp for a minion death, it splits it to two people so they both get 15% and three people 10% etc.

And yes you do tend to get more gold in the middle lane because you can rack up minion kills faster.

Lord Abbendis

07-25-2010

Middle lane should almost always be solo'd. Just the positioning of it is useful, you have access to whichever buff you want. It is also the quickest lane to get to your enemies base which makes it important. Their is alot more but thats the gist.

2. A person solos faster in a solo lane because they dont have another champ to share the xp with.

outfoxxed

07-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Abbendis View Post
Middle lane should almost always be solo'd. Just the positioning of it is useful, you have access to whichever buff you want. It is also the quickest lane to get to your enemies base which makes it important. Their is alot more but thats the gist.

2. A person solos faster in a solo lane because they dont have another champ to share the xp with.
but then why the middle in particular? i mean all lanes are viable options. If middle is the most important lane wouldn't it be better for a 2-2-1 or a 1-2-2 instead of 2-1-2?

is it just for the sake of symmetry?

xBombeRx

07-25-2010

well look at the map. does it take longer to go to middle of mid or the middle of the top or bottom lanes? top and bottom take longer so minions take longer to into position.

R66Y

07-25-2010

The main reasons are that it is easier for middle to support both side lanes as needed if they are the solo and middle is the safest lane to solo due to brush/turret position.

For the first, picture a game where you are solo'ing bottom. If top needs support or a gank, your highlevel champ who you want to provide it is unable to do so due to distances. By taking middle, you carry (who you want to gank for the gold and XP) can threatenboth lanes with ganks.

For the second, the middle turrets are closer together and the brush is further off the main lane. The side lanes have both the river brush and the side brush (which is right in the lane), both providing prime ganking positions. The middle lane does have river brush, but due to the layout, it is harder to pull a gank off from it. And if a gank does come, the mid champ has a shorter distance to retreat to his turret. This makes mid the safest spot for the solo carry.

Terchio

07-25-2010

I have actually wondered this myself, and though he ideas brought up are decent, they don't explain really. Back when I played DotA, middle was never solo. Now it suddenly changes. Here's why I think it's the case.

1. The side lanes are longer between towers, and have a wall blocking the edge almost inviting a gank to block them off. Though this was somewhat the case in DotA, there was wooded maneuverability that allowed someone to juke through an ambush. The bushes in LoL aren't near as effective as someone well versed in playing DotA.

2. Shops in the top and bottom of the maps in DotA invited players that had meticulous plans to carry quite effectively.

3. DotA rarely had all players of a similar talent level throughout the game, as there was no matchmaking system. Therefore, if you stuck your best player top/bottom, and others spread around, you'd have a 50-50 chance of hitting a couple of players that might feed you well. If you stacked the mid every time, it'd be power vs. power, and the carry wouldn't be fed.

4. The middle is a very easy location to be evasive, as stated in number 1. Yes, it's shaped quite similarly to the DotA map, but the main difference is that every character has the option of skills to abuse the terrain, such as ghost and flash. Any solo mid would need to be a very evasive or wary player to make it work in DotA, as you had fewer options early game.

However, it's likely simpler than that. Someone just insisted mid was solo in all his games, and that person's notion caught on faster than others. Afterall, you don't actually gain experience or gold much faster mid. You have a quicker first wave, and all the other waves arrive equally quickly from then on. The reason a solo laner levels faster is that the player is alone to kill the creeps, and so he's the only one that gets the experience. However, shared lanes split the experience between all the players that are within range to gather experience. You don't gain experience from lanes you aren't in, and therefore an abandoned lane means you will be losing experience (and gold) from all that dies without players around.

BACKSTABUUU

07-25-2010

Middle lane is usually where the other team will solo, so there's a much better chance of not getting ganked early, soloing is a great way for a weaker beginning game hero to reach their prime before anyone else, since experience is split evenly between all present (allied) heroes. A good soloer will be able to push their lane opponent far back and consistently last hit minions, along with having skills that allow them to control the lane. Also, having a ranged attack makes it much easier. Some good soloers include Ashe, Twitch, Ezreal, Mordekaiser, or Tristana. Bad soloers would probably be Shaco, Master Yi, Xin Zhao, or Rammus. The reason for that is those champions all share some sort of combination of being squishy (easy to kill statistically), having close range abilities, melee auto attacks, or low damage.

To offer some advice for soloing, I like to solo as gangplank, Parrrrley makes it much easier to last hit, and you get tons of money for last hitting with it, and it's also very effective for pushing my opponent back, Remove Scurvy allows me stay in the lane longer, and, this is cool because people don't realize this, Raise Morale allows me to deny my opponent (kill an allied minion so they don't get gold or exp for it). If done correctly, I can emerge 2 levels above my opponent, and as many as 5 levels above his teammates who didn't solo. That's a massive advantage.

Hope this cleared it up for you, and feel free to ask any other questions you might have.

Long 4 War

07-25-2010

It's based for access to ganks. Heroes from Top/Bottom lane can easily sneak up on an enemy hero that has pushed out to your tower. Also; the solo player has access to viable ganks on top/bottom lanes without having to move across the entire map for his level advantage.

xpsychedelico

07-25-2010

Mid lane in LoL allows for open 1v1 battles due to the positioning of brush, which is safer for squishy carries, really. A 2v1 mid is easier to manage than a 2v1 top or bottom for the same reason. You're nearer the your tower, and can retreat easily if you sense any danger, like your enemy suddenly becoming aggressive because of an incoming gank.

If you've ever been in a 2v1 spot top or bottom because of a jungler, you will notice that the positioning of the brush in the lane and at the end of the river make you extremely susceptible to ganks if you go past the river, even at the spot where the creeps meet at the beginning. Not only that, if you end up tower hugging and taking damage still, someone could still come up from behind you and kill you by the tower or when you're trying to go back to base to heal. Mid is the safest spot, and it allows carries to farm effectively and safely, while giving them the distance advantage of ganking side lanes once they are sufficiently leveled and/or farmed.

Compared to DotA or HoN, the forest doesn't quite work the same way brush does, and certainly does not put you in as much of a liability. Battles are more open in side lanes in DotA and HoN, not so much in LoL. In DotA and HoN, the bottom lanes (I think--it's been awhile) are considered "safer" because they could only get ganked from one side, and would take a long time for enemies to reach them, which is why the middle and top lane are not as appealing.

However, in LoL, it is usual that the best player and carry goes mid, which puts pressure on the side lanes as once mid is MIA, it's likely that they should expect a gank very soon, given the short travel time between lanes. If the solo carry goes to a side lane, then the other side lane has nothing to worry about for ganks, because it would simply take too much time for the carry to move to gank. The lack of brush in mid also makes it hard to gank, so a carry from a side lane going mid to gank would probably not be as effective as a mid carry going to a side lane to gank.