Help me buy my T3 runes

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vitrael

07-25-2010

I am just about to hit summoner level 20 and want to drop 10,000 IP on tier 3 runes right away. I realize that's not nearly enough to get me two full rune pages, but I would like to get at least most of one.

My favorite champs to play are Anivia and Morgana, so some AP runes seem to be the place to start. I also like melee carries, so I have other things to think about.

What do?

Aurelis

07-25-2010

Pen runes are all the rage now. AP runes will make you very viable early game as would HP quints/seals. Some people like dodge seals on both AP/melee, but all of this depends on your preference.

GoRiLLaH

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

07-25-2010

Marks = Magic Pen
Glyphs =CDR(Useful for either casters or melee)
Seals = Magic Res/LvL
Quints = 3 Flat HP or 3 Movement Speed

...Just my 2 cents.

Polaritie

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-25-2010

CDR glyphs... you can't go wrong. Any champion can make use of them.

Pen marks are probably the most versatile for that group.

Pwnacus Maximus

07-25-2010

HP quints!
should always be your first purchase. After that its up to you.
Armor pen, magic pen, health/level(seals), dodge(seals)
are all good.

Vitrael

07-25-2010

Thanks for the helpful suggestions guys. Going on...

CDR vs AP glyphs? CDR has more utility for non mages I guess.

Flat health vs Armor pen quints for AD characters?

Big Rubber

07-25-2010

Red: Armor Penatration and Magic Penatration
Yellow: Dodge and Mana Regen/lvl
Blue: Flat CDR
Quint: flat hp

(when i say ArP and MP, i meant 2 sets, 9 of each)

a standard caster:
red: MP
yellow: mana regen/lvl
blue: CDR flat
quint: health

a standard melee dps:
red: ArP
yellow: Dodge
blue: flat CDR
quint: health

sometimes you get mixed like ezreal, which you need use a standard caster set but replace MP with ArP (assuming you're going AD ez) or blitz you would use standard melee set but replace ArP with MP.

MeditationError

07-25-2010

Easy answer first: I'm pretty happy with HP Quints, both flavours of penetration, and 1 page of double-mp5/level for mana pigs, and a dodge/cooldown page for heroes that aren't mana-dependant (<3 Kat, but WW also uses this page).

Harder Answer: There aren't "the right runes". Different players want different runes. Different champs want different runes.

There are some things you see recommended a lot, and one or two that are just plain bad, but the best thing you can do, really, is to ask yourself what you'd really appreciate.

More survivability? More mana? More damage?

Keep in mind the way runes, masteries, playstyles and items interact. For example, mana runes will get the benefit from a chalice (I know Anivia is very mana hungry, I don't know about morgana).

It's very easy to say "I want moar kills!!!" and stack AP, but you'll have better time if you're honest with yourself

Do you die much early game? (HP quints and/or a Doran's starter items).
Do die too much late game? (MR/Armour/Dodge, or perhaps build or playstyle)
Not enough damage early game? (Flat Penetration)

The other way to get big bang for your buck is if you can use your runes to skip over something in your build. I can't comment on your heros, unfortunately, but for many heros blue and/or yellow mp5/level can let them skip the meki pendant and either grab a doran's shield or straight into their core build. (Also note that blue mp5/level are unusually good for a secondary).

You also see this with CDR. You can hit the cooldown cap very quickly with runes and masteries, which might change how you're building.

Some people swear by a whole page of a single stat, which I think makes sense for some toons where it makes a big difference (e.g. WW with attack speed jungles much harder), but if you're still playing mutliple toons, you should probably look first at primaries in each color.

Escher77

07-25-2010

As said above there isn't right runes it's what you like.

Personally I also play casters primary like you. This is what I run on my main page.

MP - Marks
Mana regen per level - Seals
Cooldown mix of flat and per level - Glyphs
Quints- I currently run 3 cooldown Quints.

Quints are well one of the big if's and more depend on your casters. Some people prefer Health (personally i prefer to just get level 1 boots and 3 health pots early and not go health). For aniva and morgana not sure if I would run cooldown like I do because your not highly waiting on your ult. I mainly play Karthus/Veiger both rely heavily on there ultimate so cooldown is big. Depending on your style i'd recommend anything between Health/Dodge/Speed. Sadly these are all expensive 2000 each. Also usually you do want to keep all 3 quints the same. However, if you match them to your other ruins it's not horrible idea. Like 1 cooldown 1 mana regen 1 MP to go with your runes.