Tips to a new level 30?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nesious

02-13-2012

So I recently hit level 30, and I just really wanted some tips after losing 5 games in a row... I usually play supports such as Support Alistar, Sona, Soraka. And a pretty good Ryze if the team needs it. Since I just got out of normal solo quenes, I'm still not THAT used to proper draft mode and having a jungler on the team. Also I love trying champions because I'm always looking for an alternative to the characters I play, since I like molding into what my team needs. So I only buy those runes that are universal for champions, mostly towards AP (Mana regen Per Lvl, Magic Pen. AP Per Lvl). So what balance should I find between champions and runes? And some explanations on a lot of the more complex parts of regular Ranked games would be GREAT. Specifically things like why I can only switch champions with certain members of my team, cuz that confuses me so much -_-.

Summary of Questions: Balance between buying Champions and Tier 3 Runes, Explanations on the less commonly known and complex parts of draft mode and ranked games. Overall gameplay tips, I would really appreciate some tips on the characters I play, mostly Ryze, Soraka and Sona. But really any advice you can give on any champion is appreciated.How I should conduct myself on ranked, and WHY THE HECK CAN I ONLY SWITCH CHAMPS WITH CERTAIN PEOPLE ON MAH TEAM . K thanks for reading!

matt012106

02-13-2012

I'll try to answer as much of this as I can for you.

A big help to you is going to be finding a certain champion, or champion type that you enjoy/excel in. Diversity is good, and you should be able to play any roll on a team, but finding one that you really do well at is important. It means you always have a reliable position on a team that you know you can fulfill well, allows you to focus on improving specific aspects of your gameplay instead of all of them, and also means you can stop blowing IP on every new champ.

That's another thing. If you pick a certain champion type that you like, it helps you to find runes that complement that category of champion. Buying universal runes isn't always a good idea because specializing really does help quite a bit. If you're a ranged AD and all you've got is Mpen/Arp marks, mp5 seals, CDR blues, and health quints (a rather old universal setup that many used to use but is mostly obsolete) your runes aren't doing much for you. The health you get is negligible lategame on a champ without resistances, CDR is good but not great on all ranged AD, mp5 is similarly situational, and depending on which you have you'll get a slight damage boost from Arp, or no real benefit from Mpen.

As for gameplay, there are two things you should learn before trying your hand at ranked. They're not the only things, but they're quite important. The first is last hitting. last hitting is incredibly important, as items win games, items are bought with gold, and gold is earned from kills/farming. Since kills aren't always a good idea or available, you farm. Also, learn to ward. You may think that the 75 gold you spend on that ward is a waste of money, but think of it this way. If you die in a gank you'll probably miss more than 5 creeps, which is more than enough to cover the cost of the ward and you also miss out on EXP and you lose lane control. Also, you've fed the enemy team 300 gold + assist money. That's not good at all.

On a final note, you can only trade champs with team members in draft mode in a situation where you have their current champ, they have yours, and you both consent to the trade. That way, neither of you is forced to or allowed to play champions you did not personally purchase and you cannot be trolled by having your champion stolen or being forced to play a champion you either don't like or don't even have.

Quick Rawr

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-13-2012

The best advice I can offer you is this: Practice in normal queue draft mode.

Know this: Soraka AND Sona are both common bans. Ryze isn't all that uncommon either. You'll need to expand the amount of players and roles that you can perform in in order to do ranked effectively.

You'll have a jungler on each team, the meta will be fairly similar to draft, but you won't have to have the pressure of performing or paying for it permanently. You like supports, and that isn't a commonly filled role, so that should work well for you.

I would get runes that perfectly fit that role (gp/5, mana regen, armor, etc w/e you personally feel is best).

I've found that as soon as the draft loads up if you say "I can play solo top or jungle" that you typically get one of those roles, even if you're last pick. I can personally do really well at three roles, but can manage at the other two. It's important to have at least 2 champions for each role. just in case one of the ones that you can play is banned, you have a backup. Like I said though, I think the game is more fun if you specialize in a certain role and get really good at it. I personally find that more fun so stick with support and (AP?) and go for it!

Like I said though, practice a few normal queue draft modes first so your team doesn't rage at you and you get everything sussed out. Also, add me if you'd like and I'll play some draft mode with ya (:
I'm not really good by any stretch of the imagination, but I do alright and I know the workings of draft mode. Plus it's always fun to get to know new peeps.

Nil Archive

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-13-2012

Mmkay.
1. Don't make the mistake of playing ranked straight away. Unless you are a very competant player, you will lose again and again and pretty much permanently ruin your ELO for the rest of the season.

2. RUNES: http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-le...24255#chapter5
Use this guide to know what runes are worth buying or not, these are mathematically calculated and is extremely accurate.

3. WARDS: As was previously mentioned, you must get in the habit of buying these. They cost the equivalent of 3-4 creep kills, and will allow you to safely farm the next 38 creep (6 per minute, + cannons) with the vision provided. Use this guide to have a better understanding of wards:
http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-le...-can-see-54337

4. Learn how to play your desired role, as well as support.
Why? Becuase nobody wants to. I can guarentee you will eventually find yourself in the situation that you'll be last pick, and every other role will be picked (even if you already called dibs), forcing you into support. It's a very unpopular role, but very important.

5. Watch live streams.
This isn't necessary, but if you watch professionals play you will gain a greater understanding of how to play at a more advanced level. A favourite of mine is Saintvicious, but that's because my favourite role is jungling and he's **** good at it.

That's all I can really think about. Can't stress the importance of not playing ranked though, I'm concerned about doing it anymore after a few bad experiences, and I've cleared >2,000 normal games (win+loss).

GL.

ADGarner

02-13-2012

Take advantage of free week champions. Play and explore each champion at least once. When you understand the limitations that certain champions have that will lead to less surprise. Less surprise means less frustration.

Start your champion "quest". You should be able to identify one champion that you can play against a variety of opponents in each of the five positions (by the current meta).

1. A top lane champion. One that can handle common picks like Gangplank, Irelia, Riven, and Shyvana.
2. A mid lane champion. One that can handle common picks like Brand, Leblanc, Kennen, and Malzahar.
3. A AD carry for bottom lane. One that you are very good at farming with. A good farm is 150 creep score in 20 minutes. A poor farm is under 110. Professional level last hitting is 200cs in 20 minutes.
4. A support pick that provides strong lane sustain. (sounds like you got that)
5. A good jungle pick that you are adept at either counter jungling or ganking with.
6. I know I said 5 champions. But one of your characters should be a good at initiating or playing as the tank role. It's usually your top lane or your jungle. But you'd be surprised. (Galio for mid and Taric on bot are both interesting tank picks)

TheCrazyNutcase

02-13-2012

I recommend learning every role and having a champ and runes for each one. As much as it's unappealing, it's probably the most important. What if you're playing a 5 random and you are last pick and your entire team picks ad? You have to pick an ap or you're going to lose. Same with ad, support and tank. I recommend getting to know how to jungle also, more often then not a team will need one.

Nearly every random game I play I'm either mid or jungler cause no one else will or knows how. And again I strongly recommend getting runes especially for specific roles because you will be that much stronger. Nothing like being an ap carry, up against another and having the advantage of full flat ap and penetration runes to give you that extra strength against someone with only mana regen runes.

In short, do what I'm doing and just keep playing normal till you've got the hang of every role, got a champion of each and all the runes for each role. Not only will you have a great advantage to ranked but also the added experience you got whilst gaining all you needed to start.

Explicit Skill

02-14-2012

People have covered most the basics, but a big thing is, don't piss off your teammates.

I've lost countless games that were in our favor because somebody got mad and raged. Here is a fact, people at almost all elos don't care about winning once they reach a certain point of anger.

So say for example your mid dies twice early. Don't jump on him and call him a feeder right away, try to help. If he does feed and the game is over, then I won't blame you for venting your frustration. But in game, it really doesn't help if you're trying to comeback/secure a win.

Nesious

02-14-2012

Thanks everyone for posting off the bat, @ADGarner, I never really noticed how well some of my champions could fit those roles, derp... Let me see... I have Amumu as jungler, only one I know how to play rather well, Ryze, Morgana, Lux as mid, only ones I am really good at. Tanks, Amumu, Dr. Mundo, AD carry, Tristana, Ashe. And I'm not quite sure what a strong top lane is... Some kind of Tanky DPS... Would Off-tank DPS Amumu work? Anyway, thanks again, I'll post answering more later!

Nesious

02-14-2012

@Dri Fit Thanks for the pages to Mobafire, I have never seen those before while on Mobafire, and they are actually helping me already. I do need to work on my warding, when I am support, I try to buy wards, but its just so easy for me to forget and just be focused on my build compared to getting oracles + wards at a good time. I find no problem with being last and being forced into support, since I actually really like playing a support, I feel that its ridiculous that people are so obsessed with doing massive amounts of damage compared to actually being a vital part of the team. In my opinion, saving all 4 of your teammates, or even just 1, from certain death, or stunning/healing at exact right time to completely turn a fight around and net your team a few kills is a lot more satisfying that doing lots of damage, even though that is very fun as well :>. I am starting to watch livestreams as of lately, I enjoy watching them, but can't find a good support stream, mostly because I am too lazy to actually look for them... I will certainly play more normal/draft mode before continuing to keep playing ranked. Thanks Oh and @Quick Rawr, I hope thats ur IGN, cuz request is headed your way.

Quick Rawr

02-14-2012

That it is mate, I'll accept when I get back home later (: