Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Help for people new to the genre

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vonreid

07-25-2010

Hey,
I'm fairly noobish, barely played DotA and only one or two games of LoL. One thing I've noticed is 1.) People are way competitive in this game type (which is chill, I love competition), 2.) The competitive atmosphere is not good for noobs. I'll be the first to admit I'm not great, but spending 30+ minutes with people just whining and complaining about me being worthless and garbage is not enjoyable, and in no way helps me become a better teammate. So, any help, tips, advice, or anything would be appreciated.

Gravelezz

07-25-2010

sadly the world is like this when people are competetive
But a good idea is getting 3 friends ingame, or 5, and do some 3v3 or 5v5 together. then your team mates prolly wont flame as some kind of random. i know its annoying,

Controlled By Me

07-25-2010

You only learn how to play this game by playing it, in my opinion. We could tell you when to push or when to retreat, but you really have to get the feeling for that
One tip I'd have to give you is map awareness. If someone isn't seen on the map, he might be in the bush right next to you, waiting to kill you. The positions of your teammates are important too. Can they help you when you get surprised? Then you might be able to push a bit more, but still be careful.
Also: Wards. If you place 3 wards, and you save 1 persons life or manage to kill someone because of the wards, then they have been worth the money. Also ask your teammates to buy wards. Keep important places like the dragon and both golem buffs warded, as well as baron at around 30+ min.
Keep the neutral creeps farmed. This includes your entire jungle, dragon, and if your enemy is pushed back, you could even try to take out 1 or 2 of their neutral camps.

These are just general tips, but not dying is very situational and depends heavily on who is seen on the map, who isn't, and where they were last seen.

xpsychedelico

07-25-2010

I suggest you also watch livestreams or videos of your choice champions to get a better idea of how to play them and how to use them effectively in harassing and team fights. Of course, understanding how the game works, and map awareness will put you at a good advantage over the rest (wards are very important, they can win games for you). Don't worry too much about items right now, the recommended build should do well until you rise up in ELO, then you might want to study the items available and learn what they can do so you can tweak your build to suit the enemy team.

xMasox

07-25-2010

Quote:
Vonreid:
Hey,
I'm fairly noobish, barely played DotA and only one or two games of LoL. One thing I've noticed is 1.) People are way competitive in this game type (which is chill, I love competition), 2.) The competitive atmosphere is not good for noobs. I'll be the first to admit I'm not great, but spending 30+ minutes with people just whining and complaining about me being worthless and garbage is not enjoyable, and in no way helps me become a better teammate. So, any help, tips, advice, or anything would be appreciated.

I know how you feel considering I started playing a week ago. I was terribad but now I'm doing great with yi and akali straight up carrying my team. All I did was read up on some guides for champions I wanted to play.

In the beginning just farm creeps and jungle some buffs when you get to lvl 7-10. As long as you don't feed the other team you should be fine.

Also learn up on some of the more common champions you see (xin, shanco, rammus, ect ect) and learn how to counter them like armor pen build against tanks or heavily armored melee, magic resistance against heavy caster teams and what not. (You get my drift) Learn some of the game mechanics.

Hopefully this was helpful too you and I wish you well with your playing endeavors.

Regards,
xMasox

ViktorBarney

07-25-2010

A good start would be to find a few champions you really like to play and read up on some guides. Getting a good build order for items and your abilities will make you infinitely better. There are also plenty of champion spotlights that will help you out with strategies, even if they don't pertain to a champion you play. Unfortunately, knowing when to push a lane or when to back out of a fight you can't win takes a while to get used to judge. Just give it some time and I'm sure you'll become successful

Ther InGal

07-25-2010

These are good tips. There is also a strategy section in the main LoL site that can be helpful to some new players.

But I think the true reason behind the flaming is that matchmaking puts people from way different experience to play together