Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nwol

10-10-2012

That's quite a tale Riven...can only imagine what it took to relay everything like that. No other comment on my end. I'm glad to know yours. Why we fight is an important thing, maybe I'll eventually get my tale out there too. You're inspiring.

-Tekun Valos

Ask Riven

10-10-2012

Thank you for the compliment, Mister Valos.

Script Lord

10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ask Riven View Post
Whoever you are, your insensitivity is appalling...

Regardless, I have never told anyone this before, and I suppose now is as good a time as any...

Violence used as a tool for one's own selfish gain or amusement is disgusting. It should be used as a last resort of the strong, not the first call of action. To simply aim for violence shows your weak reliance upon it to achieve your goals. There are multiple ways to solve disagreements outside of physical altercation or violent or harmful action. I have killed for reasons that were not my own...and I am ashamed and disgusted by those actions... They haunt me, remind me of the monster I once was, and the monster I wish never to be again.

I fought in the Ionian War on the side of Noxus. I saw, and did, horrible things...but the worst of all was the chemical bombardment that slaughtered an entire battlefield of Noxian and Ionian soldiers. They were dishonorable weapons of mass destruction, killing indiscriminately, without care or worry for what may take place... It was a coward's tactic, and one that flew in the face of everything I had been taught was the truth. I was the sole survivor that day, and I exiled myself from all I had known in order to find my own way in the world. So long I wandered... I had no meaning, no ambition or drive. I asked myself why I had been spared. Why had I lived when so many others had died that day? It was not due to my own strength, for I had been as weak and blind as the rest...

I lost track of time's passing. Days moved ever onward, and I roamed the Ionian countryside. I slept with the sky being my only blanket, the land being my only source of food. As I traveled, I saw the damage that had been done to Ionia as a result of the war. Somehow, the horrors had never truly sunk in until I saw them in those days. I saw people of all social standings, of all kinds and walks of life struggling to rebuild, and pick up the shattered pieces of their home...

I...I wept most nights in those days, reminding myself that I had played a hand in decimating these people and their lives, that I had played a role in their suffering. With my power, my strength, I had felled vast numbers of soldiers, farmers, militia, any that attempted to oppose Noxus' will... I slept little, always terrified that I would be spotted by an Ionian hunting party, or something of that nature, and when I did finally attain sleep, I was haunted by the horrors I had witnessed on the battlefield. Long time allies...melted away, the stink of acidic compounds and burning flesh clinging to every fiber of that place, and every inch of the bloodied mire. No matter how much I tried, it seemed that my hands were always unclean, dirty, unfit to touch another human being for what they had taken, what they had done.

Eventually, I decided that I did not belong in that place. I did not deserve that kind of solitude. After wandering to the coast, I found a fishing vessel willing to take me to the mainland. My hair had grown, and my armor and clothing bore no Noxian symbols any longer. I was accepted easily, so long as I worked to help man the ship as payment for my passage. I fought sea-sickness the entire way, but after the voyage, I found myself in Piltover. I didn't even spend a day there. I had no will or desire to remain. I had no reason to remain, or reason to even exist at this point. I left the port the same day I arrived, wandering toward the only place I had ever known to call home...

I walked on foot through the Ironspike Mountains, following the smallest bits of trails I could find. I dispatched several dangerous beasts the like of which I had never seen before, or since. Great bears larger than a man is tall at the shoulder, brimming with spikes... Snowy beasts seemingly made of ice that shattered like glass when struck, breathing chilling cold that threatened to freeze me in my tracks... For a set of several days I even had to avoid a white dragon that was hunting me as prey... However, after many days, I finally arrived on the other side, and before me in the distance stood Noxus. However, as I peered upon my home from the slopes, something happened to me...

For the first time I saw Noxus as it was. The land around it seemed devoid of life. It seemed so dark and bleak, like a scar upon the world below. I had felt many things change in me since the Fields of Coeur. My ideas has shifted, my ideals had changed, and yet, seeing how small the city was gave me a perspective I could never have gotten before. Noxus was not the place of strength I had once thought. It was a scar of darkness upon Valoran, and the people within it, my countrymen, were just as blind to this truth as I had once been. They did not realize how truly small Noxus was, and did not realize the flaws in their beliefs that lead them to attack Ionia in the first place, and even to attack Freljord...

At that moment, I knew what I had to do. I had to show them the error of their ways, I had to show them that Noxus could be strong without relying on the dishonorable battle tactics of Zaun, without stooping to things like assassination and subterfuge to achieve greatness. I was at a loss when it came to finding a way to do this, but I knew that if it took the rest of my life...this was what I had to do. I had to bring meaning to the needless deaths of so many, to seek atonement for the wrongs of my country, and show them the path to true strength...

Even with those goals in mind, my heart was still heavy with guilt and regret, but for the greater good, I would fight on regardless. I knew I could not fight for Noxus as it was. I had to fight on my own terms. To do that, I'd need a stage, and the only one I could choose was the League of Legends and the Institute of War. Though I had been gone for years, wandered for so long... I finally had a real direction in which to move and wander...

From there, I believe the League's records should suffice to fill in the gaps, but there you have it, as best as I can tell...

I hope that answers your question.
Dear Riven,

I'm not going to laugh. I was laughing the entire time I read your written reply! You are such an amusing woman, you know? A soldier who had the fortune to be spared a most agonizing death, given the opportunity to keep fighting and killing, and spilling the blood of those who held beliefs different from her homeland's, instead chooses to turn completely around and oppose those same methods and ideals that she had once facilitated!

You're pathetic, a tragic piece of trash! If you even had the faintest awareness of what was beyond your petty human squabbles, with your greedy wars and your self-righteous crusades - you are nothing more than a simple child rebelling against parents who lied to her and manipulated her into doing their bidding! Violence should be a last resort? Ha! You couldn't be more wrong if you even tried! Violence is a gateway to the soul! Violence is the most efficient way to tell who is worthy of existence and who isn't. Not at all like what your precious Noxus believes. It's not survival of the fittest! It's not even the strongest live and the weak perish! It's kill or be killed! You're such a foolish woman, believing that your way is "right" or "fair" when all it is is some stupid power play that'll fall over on itself before long!

Death, pain, ruin, bloodshed - there is nothing more exhilarating! Nothing so satisfying as taking the life of another, to execute unimaginable pain to those you don't even know! The feeling of running your blade across their throat, or plunging the tip through their heart, or even tracing lines all along their skin where their veins and arteries run! Exercising your violent impulses on strangers - people you've never met - or even those you've come to know - family, friends, even enemies - is a practice that knows no alternative. You think you can just end the violence that is inherent to all sentient beings? You wish to rid the world of the one thing that keeps it ever changing, never remaining the same and always going forward?! Your goal is impossible! There is no way to put an end to the war, the bloodshed, the death, OR the destruction! They have been ingrained into every facet of the universe that it would take a force a hundred times more powerful than divine intervention to wipe it out!

But I doubt you really care for this truth, so you'll more than likely just crumple this letter up before you even reach this point. It's sad, really. You just can't see the futility of your ambition. As for me? I'm a killer. A murderer. I bleed out helpless fools and snuff out their vitality! I end lives, and I enjoy every minute of it. It brings me a satisfaction and pleasure you'll never understand! I'll admit that I'm a bit of a monster. All I do is kill, and kill, and keep killing because it's all I know how to do. But damn if it isn't fun to do! Have you ever stared deeply into someone's eyes, watched them dull ever so gradually, as you plunged your blade through their heart? Have you ever shared a dance with a corpse that had already lost all the color in its skin, splattering the blood leaving the puncture wound in the back of their head all over the surrounding walls? No, you haven't. And, dreadfully, you never will. But I suppose it's not something that is meant to be.

So without anything else to say, I bid you adieu!

Murderously yours,
Jaques

{{ My guy is twisted. Sorry. }}

Ask Riven

10-10-2012

Riven doesn't even bother responding to the letter. She crumples the paper after reading it, before she violently turns and throws it across the room, her fist slamming against the wall hard enough to dent it and cause small cracks to form. Her teeth are gritted and her fist is clenched tightly and trembling. People like that person made her sick to her core. She could not stop him. The letters had no return address. But people like him, people that thought like him...they were her biggest enemies, the largest roadblocks to her achieving her goals. She bit her lip. No matter what they said, no matter what people would think, or say, or bring upon her, it didn't, couldn't matter. Her determination was backed by every soul she had ever slain. They were counting on her, their voices calling out to her from beyond the grave to push her to succeed, no matter how long it took, and no matter the cost to herself. That man...he was truly the most blind...

"There are none so blind as those who will not see..." She exhaled the shaky breath that she had been holding, looking to her blade that glowed dimly with green light in the corner of her quarters against the far wall. Even at a distance and out of her reach, it still picked up on her determination, and pulsed faintly as if to punctuate Riven's thoughts. "But...I will make them all see..."

She had to. If she didn't, then what good was she? What meaning could her life or the lives of those lost be given? She refused to accept that her goal was impossible. Violence may have been impossible to eradicate, and Riven knew it would never be eliminated completely, however, that did not mean one could not limit the need or desire for force. To use real strength to shape Valoran for the better, rather than use it selfishly for personal gain, and create more suffering like that seen in Ionia or Freljord, that was the goal for which she fought so readily on the fields. No matter what one man said, Riven knew that for every naysayer like him, every disgusting waste of breath that defiled the true meaning of strength, there was another who supported her, would support her. True, pure strength, her own Noxian vision would come to light if she had to give the rest of her days for her cause.

If she died along the way, no one would look upon her actions and scoff, except, perhaps, those that were already too lost to be saved. Regardless, Riven knew she was not. Her spirit was not lost, and, as long as she remembered her ideals, lived by them, fought for them, it would never be so...even in the darkest night.

Ask Fortune

10-10-2012

*a package arrives for Riven, containing an unlabeled bottle *

Hey girl. I've been feeling kind of bad about our little heated mail war. There's like three Noxians who don't suck and I had to go and annoy one. Bah.

...I mean, three that I know of! I'm sure you knew more! ...good job, Miss Fortune, way to write this in ink, on the last piece of paper you had. I gotta go shopping.

ANYWAY, here, peace offering. I brewed this myself. I know you're a wussy lightweight, so this is some very light stuff. Mead~. It's like candy, really, I'd give this to Annie, and I wouldn't even be worried about it bursting into flame. And if anyone pisses you off, the bottle smashes REALLY well. We manufacture'em that way in Bilgewater! Bahaha. Anyway, enjoy. Or just give it to Kayle if you really don't want it, don't worry, I know I'm taking a chance with this. See ya~.

...I'd LOVE to see Kayle drunk.

Katárina

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ask Fortune View Post

Hey girl. I've been feeling kind of bad about our little heated mail war. There's like three Noxians who don't suck and I had to go and annoy one. Bah.

...I mean, three that I know of! I'm sure you knew more! ...good job, Miss Fortune, way to write this in ink, on the last piece of paper you had. I gotta go shopping.
I do wonder who the other two would be...

Ask Riven

10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ask Fortune View Post
*a package arrives for Riven, containing an unlabeled bottle *

ANYWAY, here, peace offering. I brewed this myself. I know you're a wussy lightweight, so this is some very light stuff. Mead~. It's like candy, really, I'd give this to Annie, and I wouldn't even be worried about it bursting into flame. And if anyone pisses you off, the bottle smashes REALLY well. We manufacture'em that way in Bilgewater! Bahaha. Anyway, enjoy. Or just give it to Kayle if you really don't want it, don't worry, I know I'm taking a chance with this. See ya~.

...I'd LOVE to see Kayle drunk.
I tried a sip of your...beverage. I found it fairly pleasing... Thank you for the gift. Your apology is welcomed and accepted, but unnecessary. I know you meant no harm, and were simply trying to defend yourself from criticism. I understand, and hold no grudges against you.

Ask Fortune

10-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katárina View Post
I do wonder who the other two would be...
...I don't wanna say the wrong thing. Morgana's one of them, so hmm... you or your sister... I dunno, I hang around her way more than you... why don't you come by more? Jealous of how much more flowing my red hair is~?

Dear Morgana

10-11-2012

A piece of paper would arrive with Morgana's correspondance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katárina View Post
As for the Noxian students? It's in the job to maim the inept ones. Strength. Honor. Glory. Noxus forever.
This concerns me, Riven. It reminds me of what I dislike about Noxus, and I find that it allows me to better understand your position...do you agree?

Ask Riven

10-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dear Morgana View Post
A piece of paper would arrive with Morgana's correspondance.

Katárina: "As for the Noxian students? It's in the job to maim the inept ones. Strength. Honor. Glory. Noxus forever."

This concerns me, Riven. It reminds me of what I dislike about Noxus, and I find that it allows me to better understand your position...do you agree?
I received brutal beatings at the hands of those I trained with. Our commanders were ruthless. I lost track of how many injuries I was forced to sustain...

While I do not condone the outright maiming of trainees under my current beliefs, one is said to learn more from defeat than victory. It forces you to analyze what you did wrong, and where you could improve.

There is no strength, honor, or glory in maiming an opponent less skilled than yourself. Defeat need not mean excessive brutality, and victory need not be coupled with excessive loss. Bruises and bones will heal with time, a life gone is a life wasted... Break down their flaws and demonstrate them so that they may learn from them, and grow stronger because of it. That is how one should train.

Despite her words, I'm sure Du Couteau knows this... At least, I hope she does...