Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ask Riven

08-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melancholy Exile View Post
((As the owner of a Riven askblog on Tumblr, I'm very glad to hear this sentiment from you. I feel very much the same way about the character and, if your community is anything much like the one I come from, there tend to be a lot of people who don't really take the same approach. I've honestly not read a great deal of your material but I feel you play Riven very well indeed - likely more faithfully than I do. If it weren't for the sheer scope of this community, and a concern about stealing your idea, I'd definitely frequent this thread more often.

With much love and admiration, askriven-theexile))
((I'm flattered you'd drop by my humble thread, and with praise nonetheless! Feel free to visit anytime you like. I don't have a monopoly on Riven's likeness. I'm sure you do her plenty of justice on Tumblr. In fact, I know you do, as I've seen your blog a couple times. =D Feel free to drop on by and ask questions if you like. It's always nice to see you around.))

Ask the Herald

08-06-2012

{{ I beg to differ. Riven's ONLY appeal, as a Champion and a character, is the fanservice that's been forced upon her.

I feel that this opinion of mine will be mercilessly attacked, but that's just what I think. Riven is bland and uninspired. There are far too many "atoner" types in fiction, especially games and anime, and it sickens me how often you run into the sheer adoration of these types. }}

AskMadmanMundo

08-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ask the Herald View Post
{{ I beg to differ. Riven's ONLY appeal, as a Champion and a character, is the fanservice that's been forced upon her.

I feel that this opinion of mine will be mercilessly attacked, but that's just what I think. Riven is bland and uninspired. There are far too many "atoner" types in fiction, especially games and anime, and it sickens me how often you run into the sheer adoration of these types. }}
(( Viktor is just mad because he probably had the idea to make these characters before any of anything started, but all the puny humans stole his idea just like Blitzcrank.

This is why Vikky can't have nice things.))

XUnnervedX

08-06-2012

yello riven! i have questions..have you met draven and his brother? or heard about them? or maybe having a match with them before?...what do you think about them?

Ask Riven

08-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ask the Herald View Post

((Well, you're welcome to your opinion. Personally, as a writer, I find that Riven is a deeply complex character with all kinds of inner turmoil and conflict, and that kind of inner conflict is something of which I simply cannot get enough. The world of fiction is filled with lots of different character types. Some are outspoken, bold, brash. Others are simple and state their intentions openly, but some characters are deeper than that. They have multiple things churning in their heads that make them who they are.))

((Look at Garen. He is one of the most simple champions as far as his character in that he is a big, burly, duty-driven guy who hits things with a big sword. That's really it. There's very little depth beyond that, except for a small mention of a rivalry with Katarina. This is partly due to a lack of Lore for him in some ways, but still. He's a simple character. Then, you look to Kayle and Morgana, sisters on the opposite ends of war. Morgana believes she is right and just, and fighting against the tyranny of her sister and others like her. The dynamic present there is very old, a classic from old stories recycled for a new audience. Are Kayle and Morgana dull and uninspired as well? Their conflict is both internal and external. They fight each other as well as within themselves. Man vs Man, and Man vs Himself, two fundamental properties of conflict.))

((Riven represents both of those as well. Man vs Man in that she fights against her homeland's ideals and the ideals she once treasured. Man vs Himself in that her own ideologies have changed, and the actions she once did so easily now haunt her, and force her to come to grips with the newly realized guilt of her actions. Those battles both internal and external serve to create and drive Riven as a character. People empathize with Riven's situation because she is struggling through a tough time in her life, and trying to make herself a better person, to rise above her adversity in ways that are challenging. Almost every person can remember a situation in which they had to endure, or push themselves to reach a goal they found difficult. Her emotions are also human, in that she is imperfect, and is trying to address her flaws, and become a better person because of it. She is trying to grow, and almost all people can empathize and connect with that aspect as well.))

((These character archetypes exist throughout all stories across all generations and times. In effect, there are no "original" characters anymore. They exist to serve a purpose, and help define characters within works of fiction. You're free to dislike the character archetypes that Riven portrays. But to call her bland and uninspired, I think, is an incorrect assertion. Riven is a complex character despite the simplistic themes attached to her. By comparison, Viktor is just as simple in his creation as well. He's a madman outcast, driven by revenge and a desire to show his ideas of progress, like Doctor Wily. He's a character type featured time and time again in comic books, like "Victor" Von Doom, and even older back to characters like Doctor "Victor" Frankenstein. Simply put, no matter where you look, almost every character in League can be traced back to other archetypes. Calling one "simple and uninspired" is effectively calling them all so, and I would not go so far as to call them such.))

Nwol

08-07-2012

((informing you I am still awake))

Ask Riven

08-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwol View Post
((informing you I am still awake))
((My apologies. I had dinner, then hung out at a friend's place for a while. Then I typed that. I totally intended to post a few more times, so no worries.))

Nwol

08-07-2012

((No worries. I'll be up for at least another hour or two. Sleep is for the weak. ))

Ask Riven

08-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by XUnnervedX View Post
yello riven! i have questions..have you met draven and his brother? or heard about them? or maybe having a match with them before?...what do you think about them?
I addressed this a few pages ago, Summoner. I do not care for Draven or his brother. They are perfect examples of what I believe to be wrong with Noxus...

Luxiere

08-07-2012

Dear Riven,

Have you ever stepped on Teemo's mushrooms? How does it feel like?

And if you would get another "skin", how would you like it to look like? I personally like redeemed really much, do you?