Needed addition to colorblind mode

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fallenwon

03-01-2012

I am red greed colorblind. I can still see red and green when they are seperate, however in a field of green i can not see any red and in a field of red i can not see any green. This is a big problem when playing on summeners rift, i cant middle against karthas because his little red dot blends in with the green grass, i cant avoid lux's ult because i cant see the little red beam that warns you, the same is true for many global ults. The only time i can see these things is if there is a fight in a base or the river, anywhere the ground is not green. There are easy fixes to this problem, change the warning color, the winter map fixes all these problems as the ground is white so make a way where you can select what map to play on like in custom games.

boourns

UI Designer

03-01-2012
1 of 1 Riot Posts

Good catch, I'll forward this on and see what we can do.

GaiaMike

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-02-2012

yorick's red and green ghosts, aura/buff effects like nunu's blood boil and sheen, and the projectiles to irelia's ult, the 'poof' that comes out of tristana's explosive shots, as well

as the OP said, it's the way some things are blending with the ground that's causing the problem (at least for me)

stimmedcows

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
Good catch, I'll forward this on and see what we can do.

I've played League of Legends for about two years now, and over that time I've became aware of a huge problem with this game. Since I am colorblind, I found myself after those 2 years rated at about 1300 elo. Why? I last hit well, I have some sort of game sense from playing a lot. But my ability to position in team fights has been drastically effected by the 2 years I spent colorblind. I basically only learned to AD carry - attack move from max range and thats about it. The problem with colorblindness was I couldn't distinguish my team mates from my enemies, so I couldn't learn to position correctly in team fights. Especially in blind pick when someone picks the same champions. If you think about it, this description is kind of like the guy in ranked that can only play one role, and his effective ELO is much lower if he attempts to play anything different, so your game is ruined if you get matched with that guy and he is forced onto something he is uncomfortable with. It goes a lot further than colorblind players. There are lots of lol players that are poor at positioning because they don't have enough experience playing in other roles.

So, anyway, finally Razieh's mod came about, which was a vast improvement over the colorblind fixes we had available before that time (you can search the forum history to see me and EncasedShadow at some point getting our heads together and we started a sort-of colorblind mod - I have a long dead post in guides forum somewhere) and I began to improve little by little. I can distinguish champions enough to play an AP mid carry instead of AD autoattacking from max range. I still have no experience with tanks because those characters occupy close space and its too difficult to analyze, it makes me shut down and have no idea what I'm doing because my vision was taken away by pizza-mode team fight explosions whenever I play tanky dps. Then the new colorblind mode came out, and I stopped using razieh's mod and I can't really tell if its better or worse atm, but basically I know I still have this problem with positioning that I haven't been able to shake. At this point it could just be psychological. My friends have told me I play like I have no idea of positioning whatsoever. Like, keep bruisers in front of ad? Sorry pal, no idea because I can't really track where everyone is once the ults fly. So I have essential found that I have a problem that is very hard to get rid of by playing games, since I have some sort of established ELO i made with ad carry, and trying to play other roles, I'm basically 300 elo lower and trying to practice in those other roles will always throw the game because I have no experience. I started a smurf account to try to learn vs way worse players, but I know you guys aren't too fond on smurf accounts. So its a difficult to resolve problem. And I am sure there are other players that share this problem and go to smurf accounts for one reason or another. They just mained a certain role for 500 games and ruin ranked games if they are forced into a certain role, and all you can really do is start over in normal games.

There is a much better solution to this problem!! And that is to have a new game mode. You basically just have a "micro wars" map. I dont know if you guys played wc3 to know what I'm talking about, so I'll describe the map for you. You can run it 5v5, but 6v6 or higher would be better. 12v12 is good too. Once you have that, your game map needs to be divided into 6 boxes or so. Something small in area, like the size of bloodbath on sc1, and you just divide that into 6 distinct boxes (players cannot go between these) and spawn teams of players inside those boxes. So you might start with say, Jax/Janna vs GP/Taric in one box, and Leblanc/Alistar vs Kassadin/Cho'gath in another box. The gameplay then proceeds as follows. A time limit counts down, and when it ends each team fights to the death, in a last man standing sort of contest. The IP earned is based on who won their boxes. It doesnt have to be who won fastest. Once everyone is dead (i.e. the outcome is decided), you respawn the players, and j ust flip the matchup so they get a rematch. This does require players changing champions, so you'd have to come up with a solution for runes and masteries. Maybe you can skip the team rematch part, and just let them have a do-over. Anyway, then they play again and see who wins. And then after THAT match is over, this time you change up the starting conditions, so that the boxes are now 3v3 instead of 2v2. Over time, the teams grow larger, so that the players end by fighting in full 5v5's. note: the start is more than 10 players preferably, because the really crappy guys should get weeded out of the big fights by losing every other matchup. This will be a very popular game mode because you can train for the "real" game without having to go through build-up, you don't have to worry about ELO loss, and you can gain valuable team fighting experience in all stages (2v2, 3v3, 4v4 and 5v5) for basically free. You could even start them off by putting a handful of minions in there to get the fight started,. so that chars with stuff like consume can use that skill in mid fight and see how it effects the outcome of healing at the expense of removing a creep. And so forth.

So lets say we dont have this kind of new training mode. I think the result is the ranked problem of bad players on roles they are unfamiliar with would definitely persist. Since there isn't much way to practice team fighting in this game otherwise, there is no reason to ever expect changes to this in ranked. Inexperience doesn't go away by continuously plunging yourself into situations that you cannot really learn in because the waters are too deep for you, so the game gets thrown. And that leads to raging, tribunal reports, and banned players. Not just the bad players, either.. the other players who were in their game that played their best on their usual role (i.e. they played much better). And you will continue to see p layers inside an elo range that they do not belong in! This game has been without colorblind mode for too long now, and its one of the reasons why you see players like me that are going to be 1300 elo that seem way worse despite not being inexperienced (i.e. scrubs). As long as I don't get to pick an ad carry.

In the meantime for the playerbase, f you have problems with team fighting and positioning, you can fix it by watching shurelyais' zoning tutorial on youtube, making smurfs to beat up newbies who make out of position mistakes much more commonly, and I guess you can just practice in normals/premade teams with other people who know how to do it properly and will be able to guide you to ultimate success. And turn on colorblind mode. You might not even know you are colorblind. I didnt find out myself until I was 17 years old. So please try it out.