Calling Lanes...?

Called in chat is Legit 40 41.67%
Called in chat is Fail 16 16.67%
First pick gets role 40 41.67%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Calling lanes in ranked

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BlacJac

02-12-2012

I've had a couple games so far that have got me irritated. The first one I was third pick, called solo top and then get bumped out of it because 1st pick decides they would rather play top and according to them it's first come first serve and calling lanes doesn't mean ****. The second game I call mid and i'm 5th pick, this puts me into a good situation to counter whoever the opponent picks to mid. I get bumped because again someone claims that calling lanes isn't allowed and since i'm last pick, I play whatever role is left.

In my opinion calling lanes and starting communication is a good thing, but I would like to know what etiquette is in such cases.

mnballa

02-12-2012

dont call lanes. I do agree with highest gets priority. Ask right away what does everyone want to play and find your role.

If you do have a preference say something like "I can mid" or "Can I jungle?"

Strikerfox

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-12-2012

As I understand it, first pick is given to the player with the highest elo or the "best player." In theory having that player play the role they are best at is wise, unfortunately it doesn't always end up that way. Personally, I find it annoying when people call lanes. However, if you ask for a lane instead, I'm more than happy to accommodate. It's all about the tone.

Gangstaplank

02-13-2012

top player is the best (on average, thats why their ELO is higher)

so they get first choice.

if you call top, and first pick wants top. odds are (based on having higher ELO) that he is the better top so he should get it

Xgrunger

02-13-2012

dont first and second pick solo lanes, you get countered so easy.....
better trade champs, but is kinda hard to comunicate with the team only in chat

neoshadowxxx

02-13-2012

I think people should respect others in chat and if you feel you should play a specific role briefly explain why so there is no dodging or raging, as such will cause your team to fail. communication is key.

kwikluck

02-13-2012

"Calling" anything is childish. I do think communication is important though. State, "I'd like to be _position_". Then State, "I'm not good at _position_" that way your team can try to form a winning combination. The point is to win. I also thing every player should learn every role and and champ from that role.

I voted for "First pick gets role"

It's not like last pick has a choice anyway. LOL

TheGreatKraksby

02-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnballa View Post
dont call lanes. I do agree with highest gets priority. Ask right away what does everyone want to play and find your role.

If you do have a preference say something like "I can mid" or "Can I jungle?"
This. I tend to say something like "I can solo/support/ad carry or jungle, you decide."

Quick Rawr

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-13-2012

I've found if you say two different roles (I can top solo or jungle) that you end up getting one of them.

You should be able to perform well at least three roles before I'd recommend ranked anyways.

Oebus

02-13-2012

Calling is a form of communication (which is good), but it's selfish (which is bad).

Take this example: you might have a ranked match where someone can only play top lane well (it sucks, but we've already figured out that people who shouldn't be playing ranked still do). If the guy who can play top *or* jungle calls top because he's sick of jungling, he just screwed himself and earned a loss for the team because that "OMGBBQ FAIL JUNGLER" can't jungle. Ask Mr. top lane if he would have preferred to jungle and win instead of playing top and losing, and if he says "no" then you've found yourself a troll.

Ideally, every member of the team should play who they're best with, but that can't happen every game and some people have to go to their second or third pick champs and roles. The fact is that it's a team game. Team win = personal win. Team loss = personal loss. I understand that we don't know who we're jumping into bed with in a ranked match, but you have to trust the elo system a little bit--which is hard, because frankly it's not always accurate.

Despite that, I've found that the teams who manage to get good communication flowing within the first minute during champ select are those that succeed the most. The fact is that one fail player in a tight ranked match means a loss. What that tells me is that I want everyone on my team to be comfortable with their lane and character. This takes coordination and communication beyond the level of simply calling a lane.

Furthermore, calling a lane .5 s into champ select is a lot more likely to start a flame war and kill the synergy before the team even has a chance to get off the ground. Communicate on a higher level, people. Start off with a list of what you *can* do, or ask nicely.

"Mind if I take mid?" is great.

"Hi guys! I can jungle with rammus, bot lane with soraka, or mid with akali. I'm flexible." is even better.

We nerds are notoriously ill-trained in the realm of communication, but it's the secret to life, folks. It makes everything easier, even games.