Beserker Greaves

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PardonMySwag

07-25-2010

Ashe scales horribly with AS anyways, you would be much better getting boots of swiftness/mercs + Last Whisper.

Terchio

07-25-2010

Not at all. As I said, in order for them to work, you have to be the target. In team fights, that's a 1 in 5 shot on all but 20 champions, as the rest are single target. And 20 is a VERY weighted number, as many of the multi-target moves are hard to land more than one target or pitiful disable to begin with.

I would also like a list of all the champions on said list where Berzerker Greaves are ineffective against them. Surely one of them stands out as 'Not effected by Greaves', since we already have a list that isn't effected by Treads. Or maybe creeps. Of course, I don't see creeps disabling much. I don't think Treads are a farmer's choice.

And at losing part of the disable, it's hardly worth it to get said boots at such a high price (1200!) when you can have Zerker Greaves for 920, and make money off of killing more, or get Ninja Tabi for only 850, and you'd have armor to block just as you would have had magic resist, only some attacks you will dodge 100% of the damage. On Treads? You only dodge the disable from the hit, assuming there was one, and it only drops part of the way. To say there is no alternative is nuts.

Am I saying Merc Treads are bad? No. They do have their place. However, to say that you are going to be using them 90% of the time is far from the best advice for anybody. Take a pick amongst those that help your character.

finalformeskimo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-25-2010

Merc treads are the way to go on any autoattack characters generally, or any carry required to do alot of damage over more than just a few seconds. This is a decent amount of characters, and will generally include anyone with good escape abilties as well simply because a single CC can ruin their escape.

Characters that should not get mercs: Tanks, Magic Bursters, Dodge heavy characters who generally get cleanse so they can get ninja tabis (because getting out of CC is just THAT important.)

Thats it. And you are garunteed to have atleast 3 CCs on the other team in any decent game. And CC isnt just stuns, they are a wide range, and alot of them hit multiple characters. In a team fight, a silence is just as good as a stun against anyone other than melee dps. And whats worse is many characters also carry Exhaust specifically for ganking and disabling autoattackers.

Sure, there are some characters that dont get the FULL benefit of mercs, but even for magic burst damage it can sometimes be a better choice than sorc if say there is a fed rhyze on the enemy team. There will not be a single target for CC in a fight either. First the most damaging person is CCd and then targeted, but then you have the enemy team doing the same thing, and then further CCs are given out to stop the other characters from accomplishing that goal, and ontop of that you have midgame which tends to consist of many small teamfights, occasional ganks, and a TON of slow. Infact, slow is pretty much garunteed, and if you plan on ganking or escaping a gank, CC of your own (even if its a slow provided by an item) and merc treads are pretty much necessary.

Eggtart Chow

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-25-2010

I've already explained why Merc Treads are better, saying that you have a 1 in 5 chance of being stunned is not a valid argument.

R66Y

07-25-2010

Tanks should always get merc treads......you are trying to get focused and will be the first into fights (lots of CC up and incoming generally). You can't tank if your stunned.

Terchio

07-25-2010

It's plenty valid. If you have been stunned, there are another 4 characters that haven't been in most cases. Even if they had been, you'd be gaining a small percent less stun time for the overall cost of the item. If you are hit by Ashe that often, you're fail in the first place, and she's still got some distance to cover to hit you anyway. A 2 sec stun isn't worth reducing to sacrifice both early money and attack speed/dodge, especially on a carry.

I actually somewhat agree with the DPS character arguement finalformeskimo placed. A DPS does need to be constantly awake to keep attacking. However, even this is slightly flawed, as only stuns are decreased through Mercury Treads that will decrease DPS effectiveness, with exception to escape, which everyone appears to have flash/ghost ready for anyway. Even blindness isn't covered by Treads, take a peek if you'd like. If blinded, you need an alternative way to return useful, and blindness is typically an insanely long effect for someone completely relying on DPS. Sure, silences exist, but those characters are often blast and wait anyway. They don't need constant blasting like the DPS characters need. Are Treads good for DPS? Yes. That's what I put on the first post. However, DPS does well with Berzerker's, Tabi, Treads, and Swiftness, where as casters usually focus on Sorc boots, tanks focus Tabi, Treads, Swiftness, and Mobility, and support focuses pretty much anything but Sorc and Berzerker. Like my first post said, Berzerker have a smaller crowd running for them, and even that crowd has other items to choose from. That's why they're unpopular.

Charcoales

07-25-2010

I don't get them because they're the most expensive boot, and I get tabi or zerk so I can go on to other items rather than save up for them.

Terchio

07-25-2010

WHOA... did you just say you can't tank when you're stunned? If you tank and you're stunned, you have just done half of your job by taking the disable from your team. The other half is getting pounded in, and oddly enough, stun does not stop that. Sure, you can't exactly run up in front while stunned, but that split second you gain is hardly going to help that. If the opposing team focuses the tank with disable, they are the fail ones.

R66Y

07-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terchio View Post
WHOA... did you just say you can't tank when you're stunned? If you tank and you're stunned, you have just done half of your job by taking the disable from your team. The other half is getting pounded in, and oddly enough, stun does not stop that. Sure, you can't exactly run up in front while stunned, but that split second you gain is hardly going to help that. If the opposing team focuses the tank with disable, they are the fail ones.
If you are stunned, they have no reason to pound on you (they aren't going to burst you down....your the freaking tank). Tanks use CC abilities to wreck havoc on enemies, and a stunned tank is no threat and can be ignored. In the few seconds your unable to do anything,they can wipe out squishies.

You want to take stuns, but you don't want to be locked down. merc treads every day all day.

Terchio

07-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by R66Y View Post
In the few seconds your unable to do anything,they can wipe out squishies.
With what? The stuns they just wasted on you? FAIL teams focus the tank with anything. That includes stuns. You should be begging them for more disable, as your team now has free reign to do as they please. That includes stay behind you and fire from behind, mind you. Should you be so lucky to be focused with disable as a tank, then it may have been SLIGHTLY better to have Merc Treads. However, I'm not getting magic resist against a highly physical team, because their magic isn't going to do so much to me. Similarly, a disable should not hit a tank, and therefore Merc Treads should not get the use that buying them requires. It would be a wasted investment.