Dominion Meta Discussion

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Emeraldw

02-12-2012

After my games of Dominion, I have come to a general team comp that really seems to work well. Now I am sure many people will cry “NO! I hate the SR meta, I don’t want one here!” Well there is already one setting in, most just don’t know it. It was bound to happen, but be thankful that the setup is quite a bit more flexible than you might think.

Now, lets talk about the map’s buffs:

Increased Mana Regeneration: This generally means you can spam spells to your heart’s content, mana is not typically an issue.

Increased Arm/Mag Penetration: This means everyone is dealing more damage than usual. As such, it means that CC is even more powerful as you have less chance of surviving.

Significant Passive Gold/EXP: Don’t have to worry about farm at all. The biggest issue with some champions is the “Where do I put them?” issue. Not an issue here.

What should a dominion team look like? I have seen some of the best results from:

Tank/AP/AD

You might be thinking “that is only 3!” I know, because there is the bottom champion to consider, which should become more clear as I write this out.

Tank: Remember how I said CC was more valuable here? Guess which type not only has the most CC in the game, but also the most survivability. Blitzcrank, Alistar, Leona, Jarvan and others are great champions here and will fit into almost any group and improve them.

AP/AD: this is just here to make it so that the enemy doesn’t build all Arm/MR. Same reason as SR really, but also note that many AP come with CC. A mage could be bottom and swap with an AD at some point if they all build armor.

This is why I only mention 3, you could have 2 AD or 2 AP and swap at points. The composition of your team is really quite flexible after those 3. You could have a tank, 2 ad, ap and something else. I might personally be biased to an “off-tank” like Shyvana, Volibear in addition to the tank and another ranged. But as I said, I feel it is rather flexible.

Also, try to balance range and melee.

There are two groups in a game, Top and bot. Bot is the first topic of conversation.

Bot: Bot’s goal is keep the bottom turret and/or capture the enemy’s bottom turret through either killing the enemy bot or pushing. Good bottom champions need to be able to push, at least in the early levels.

For example: I chose Ahri and the opposing team sent Udyr bottom. He did not have a good game laning against Ahri. Nor could he, why would you send a melee like that against a ranged mage? Further I can push with AOE abilities so much faster than him. Even if he did kill me, if there are 12 minions on his turret, he is in a tough position.
This makes mages obvious for going bot. Some AD like Sivir work very well as well, or after AD get items their auto attacks can push fine.

Basically, a Bottom champion must be able to apply pressure on the enemy turret or it is pointless. Do not send Alistar bottom against Cassiopeia. Even if Cass never pushes, if you lost top, Alistar isn’t likely to help retake momentum bottom to force someone to help deal with bottom.

Also, despite this being a solo lane, generally, no one seems to want to play it. The amount of farm you can get here is massive and I have ended up 1-2 items ahead of my own team with all the pushing I do. I have won games by pushing the lane, taking their turret and put us in the lead. If they have to send multiple people to help retake it, you have the edge up top and can retake the lead. This is possibly the single most important solo role. DO NOT NEGLECT IT.

Top: The top group is where everyone seems to want to play. So who goes top? The tank obviously is a must on going top. Their CC and ability to hold top make them very valuable. The rest should be a balance of melee and ranged. How you balance this is up to the team composition but do not go all melee or all ranged. Further, make sure that at least one of these champions can go bot at some point if there needs to be a switch. This can be as an assassin to just kill the enemy’s bot or as another pusher style champion.

Example: I was playing Sivir and was generally winning bottom lane. Eventually Talon got enough items that he could threaten me. While I could still out push him, his offense got to the point he could hold his point and make it so I had difficulty challenging him to a straight fight. At this point I could trade out with someone who could handle talon or go 2 bot. The strategy is up to you, this is just how something can happen.

Final example is a typical team using this:
Top: Leona, Sivir, Ahri, Shyvana
Bot: Cassiopeia

This should be a good start on how things are going in the current dominion “meta.”

Discuss!

evilXkilla

02-12-2012

Tanky derps

Emeraldw

02-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilXkilla View Post
Tanky derps
Except that a team full of tanky DPS is just asking for trouble.