The competitive guide to AP Koggy.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rekirts

08-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by m31ster View Post
well, i'm back again after a few bouts with your guide in mind. liked it, but i still prefer my build, although i did find a lot of error in my build, and that has been dealt with.
now im rocking madred's, whatever boots necessary (mercs/berserker/sorc), last whisper, nashor, black cleaver, zhonya. kind of a mix between our builds, and it has the best of both worlds imo.

and played with a noob kog today, and he was running a pure hybrid with no AP at all, got slaughtered. didnt help that he fed the ENTIRE match though. i was forced into using vlad, giving him all of kog's runes (if i had the IP i would get ones instead of mana regen. oh well) hes actually really good lol. and giving vlad will of the ancients is OP rofl

but Kog is still the best!
Thats an expensive build lol. And I disagree with it, but if it works, gogo pewpew.

I was just starting to learn Vlad when I was at home too. Hes a lot of fun, Q Q Q Q R Q W Q. Wee.... Mix in ready E's and you're rocking. Definately battle-supporty-bulky. I was having a lot of fun.

Kog IS still the best. Nevarrrr forget it!

Kinney

08-05-2010

Kog'maw with a golem buff is quite possibly the most stupidly fun thing in all of LOL. <3 Koggy.

I'll wait till fall to play him more often, though, as I'm abroad for the summer and he's quite possibly the worst character (with the possible exception of Ezreal or Twisted Fate) to play with high latency.

Resproc

08-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekirts;
I was a little dishearted at nobody coming back with success stories.
I had to thoroughly test the build first!

I gota say, I love the build. All of the items are easily obtainable on the right timeline. All of the runes and mastery seletions make sense. The tactics and target selection are spot on. I played about 20 games with this build and about 20 more games with the Hybrid build recommended by Phreak in the spotlight. I much perfer this build.

My only concern in the guilde is this: Why are we leveling E->W->E->W->E->R instead of E->Q->E->Q->E->R? With an AP build, the extra nuke damage from Caustic Spittle can make a difference early on. You also get some base armor pen for some auto attack harrass in the lane for free.

Also, if you have more magic pen than the target has magic armor, do you do bonus damage?

And lastly, what exactly is the criteria to get an assist in this game? Some times I feel like I'm not properly getting assists because of my distance to the target. I know you have to at least hit the target to get an assist, but what other criteria? Range? Time elapsed?

Cumulous

08-05-2010

Great guide, definitely a rate +1.

I tried it in a normal game today, and actually found kog to be fun and not 100% useless

Rekirts

08-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Migra View Post
Kog'maw with a golem buff is quite possibly the most stupidly fun thing in all of LOL. <3 Koggy.

I'll wait till fall to play him more often, though, as I'm abroad for the summer and he's quite possibly the worst character (with the possible exception of Ezreal or Twisted Fate) to play with high latency.
I'd imagine any character with high latency is hard to play, but Koggy could be very bad lol...

Rekirts

08-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resproc View Post
I had to thoroughly test the build first!

I gota say, I love the build. All of the items are easily obtainable on the right timeline. All of the runes and mastery seletions make sense. The tactics and target selection are spot on. I played about 20 games with this build and about 20 more games with the Hybrid build recommended by Phreak in the spotlight. I much perfer this build.

My only concern in the guilde is this: Why are we leveling E->W->E->W->E->R instead of E->Q->E->Q->E->R? With an AP build, the extra nuke damage from Caustic Spittle can make a difference early on. You also get some base armor pen for some auto attack harrass in the lane for free.

Also, if you have more magic pen than the target has magic armor, do you do bonus damage?

And lastly, what exactly is the criteria to get an assist in this game? Some times I feel like I'm not properly getting assists because of my distance to the target. I know you have to at least hit the target to get an assist, but what other criteria? Range? Time elapsed?
Right right .

Pheaks hybrid build is very bad, imho. But thanks for the kudos. I find this item build to be the best earliest, with good items to work towards.

Q's range is just very small, and as Kog'Maw we're trying to stay out of range. Early game, Bio-Arcane lets us harrass safer and deal good damage, and the %hp damage scales very well later too. If the Q range was larger we'd definately level it first, but the damage is similar over time and the W can hit from MUCH further away. Compliments the mindset and playstyle of our Kog.

No bonus damage, so if the carries are staying around 30 MR you could delay the Guise until they stop being ******ed. Even if you're only getting 5 or 10 magic pen though you should probably still buy the guise, as mpen is a ridiculously broken stat for casters.

Assists is only time elasped as far as I know. I have not noticed getting shorted any assists because of range. But I could be wrong .

Rekirts

08-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumulous View Post
Great guide, definitely a rate +1.

I tried it in a normal game today, and actually found kog to be fun and not 100% useless
The point of this guide is to be 100% USEFUL... But its a start. Thanks.

DarkCrown

08-05-2010

If some of you don't feel like playing mage Kog (I don't ), try this Hybrid build

He's one hell of a good Hybrid DPS/Nuker with extreme range.

The masteries i use : 9/0/21
Runes : Magic pen Marks and Quints, Mana regen/lvl Seals and Cooldown Glyphs.

For the skill order it depends on your gameplay, but usually I try to max Void Ooze and Bio-Arcana Barrage as much as possible.

I play him as Hybrid so heres my build:

-Doran's Ring + 1hp pot
-Boots of speed
-Fiendish Codex
-Stinger of finish boots
-Nashor's Tooth
-Guinsoo's Rageblade
-Lich Bane

For the last item i take Zhonya's Ring but you usually dont get that far in the game...

Doing this build, you'll do decent DPS, be a badass nuker and going mid against Heimer should be a breeze. Enjoy!

Lord Sturm

08-05-2010

I have to say, I definitely like the build. It helps that it's exactly the same as mine up through boots, but that's ok. XD

Never tried Rylai's on him. I really should though, it sounds like it would work really well on him. I'd typically build Rylai's on him at that spot, but I think that's worth a shot.

And I gotta say I like Nashor's on him. It's great because not only does it give AP and some good mana management, the attack speed really increases your DPS by a lot when you have BAB up. But I'll give your build a shot next time I'm running Koggy.

And yes, Caterpillar skin is the only way to go. :P

Rekirts

08-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCrown View Post
If some of you don't feel like playing mage Kog (I don't ), try this Hybrid build
Make your own guide!!!

But seriously, you kinda didn't give me any feedback on MY guide whatsoever, and just kinda did your own thing there. Please don't do that. Theres plenty of Hybrid Kog threads out there (but they're all doing it WRONG by the way)... go post there ;l.