The competitive guide to AP Koggy.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SeismicSalmon

07-29-2010

Awesome guide!! I tried out kog a few weeks back when he was free and I enjoyed his style but had a tough time getting a feel for him. I was thinking of saving up for him, and thanks to reading this and his recent range buff, I'm definetely gonna buy him so I can try this out!

Rekirts

07-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madra View Post
I build Kog'maw pure attack speed with void staff, magic penetration runes, MS quints and a 15/0/15 mastery spec. Wit's End, Sword of the Divine, Blood Razor... the high cost of Blood Razor is partially offset by the farming enhancement and the cheap cost of the other items in the build. It's god mode for six seconds, but I only bust it out when I am playing with other tank buster characters. It's probably as dependent on the red pill as AP Kog is dependent on the blue pill. I do think AP is the way to go on Kog'maw, but I just find this build more fun.
Actually, your build sounds like ALOT of fun haha. I would never try it in competitive play, but all those on hit effects sounds fun to stack .

Rekirts

07-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicSalmon View Post
Awesome guide!! I tried out kog a few weeks back when he was free and I enjoyed his style but had a tough time getting a feel for him. I was thinking of saving up for him, and thanks to reading this and his recent range buff, I'm definetely gonna buy him so I can try this out!
Thanks!! . Glad you liked the guide and hope you do well with Kog in the future!

To everyone: I will be on vacation for the next week (Miss out on double IP weekend too!). I will answer any questions left here when I return. Keep them coming! I'm expecting you guys to keep this bumped on the first page .

Redenbacher

08-02-2010

I notice you have Guardian Angel as one of the recommended items, and so in a game where I was doing well, but frequently focused as a result, I bought it. I died, 'sploded, and though the revive animation was there, I didn't revive . So until that 'bug' is fixed, might want to note that in the guide

Aside from that, I've been doing great with this guide, and love it.

Doran's -> Tear -> Boots -> HG -> AA -> Rylai's -> Zhonya's has been working wonders... really nice scaling through the game with this build.

After Zhonya's though, in long games I often won't know where to go from there. I usually don't need the survivability from Banshee's, no one is stacking MR for Void Staff, and that really only leaves Lichbane. The game ended shortly after I bought it the first time, so I didn't get to test it, but with 10% of max HP in bonus damage, I tend to auto-attack with Bio-Arcane Barrage frequently.

Oh, and this guide gave me my first Quadra Kill.

Do you ever have people complaining at you for killsteals? 2 or 3 games now I'll finish off a runner with Artillery and get blamed for a killsteal... not that I care, just curious. A kill's a kill as far as I'm concerned.

Tabrias

08-02-2010

Hi there Redenbacher! I remember you destroyed us as Kog in one game xD

Anyways, this is a really nice guide. I tried out Kog during the brief period of time when he was free, using this guide, and now I'm saving up IP to buy him.

Great job Rekirts!

elfyy

08-04-2010

im not a pro or anything, not even close, but wards are probably the most important item from what i got after a few matches with koggy, its just priceless to snipe ppl trying to get away with an accurate shot instead of guessing, plus helping a lot in positioning for a team fight and the obvious gank alert

m31ster

08-04-2010

well, i'm back again after a few bouts with your guide in mind. liked it, but i still prefer my build, although i did find a lot of error in my build, and that has been dealt with.
now im rocking madred's, whatever boots necessary (mercs/berserker/sorc), last whisper, nashor, black cleaver, zhonya. kind of a mix between our builds, and it has the best of both worlds imo.

and played with a noob kog today, and he was running a pure hybrid with no AP at all, got slaughtered. didnt help that he fed the ENTIRE match though. i was forced into using vlad, giving him all of kog's runes (if i had the IP i would get ones instead of mana regen. oh well) hes actually really good lol. and giving vlad will of the ancients is OP rofl

but Kog is still the best!

Rekirts

08-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redenbacher View Post
I notice you have Guardian Angel as one of the recommended items, and so in a game where I was doing well, but frequently focused as a result, I bought it. I died, 'sploded, and though the revive animation was there, I didn't revive . So until that 'bug' is fixed, might want to note that in the guide

Aside from that, I've been doing great with this guide, and love it.

Doran's -> Tear -> Boots -> HG -> AA -> Rylai's -> Zhonya's has been working wonders... really nice scaling through the game with this build.

After Zhonya's though, in long games I often won't know where to go from there. I usually don't need the survivability from Banshee's, no one is stacking MR for Void Staff, and that really only leaves Lichbane. The game ended shortly after I bought it the first time, so I didn't get to test it, but with 10% of max HP in bonus damage, I tend to auto-attack with Bio-Arcane Barrage frequently.

Oh, and this guide gave me my first Quadra Kill.

Do you ever have people complaining at you for killsteals? 2 or 3 games now I'll finish off a runner with Artillery and get blamed for a killsteal... not that I care, just curious. A kill's a kill as far as I'm concerned.
I thought the GA glitch was fixed with Kog. I remember reviving with it on Koggie at one point... Unless I'm going senile and it was a Zil ultimate. But I really thought it was GA. Will test when home.

Tear > Boots > HG > AA is really the best early game build for Kog period. Very cheap, leaves room for an additional item in most game, and gives you all the stats you need; mana regen, magic pen, AP, and a little hp... anything after is situational and will probably work well (assuming you stay away from AD items...). I love Banshees Veil, but I use Rylais often too. Totally depends on the game, but I'm not concrete after my Archangels. Scales very well haha.

If its a long game, and you're doing your job, they should be focusing you and stacking MR, which is why I like the BVeil and selling HG for Void Staff. BUT... If they're not focusing you or stacking MR, at that point I'd probably buy two Needlessly Large Rods and keep both elixers on me as much as possible. Zzz... At that point you should know who will win. Unless you're just waiting for one team to be aced. Again, I love BVeil.

Way to go on the Quad!! And yes, you will be called for killstealing, especially early game. But a kills a kill, and its a team game, and more gold for everybody (and the fact you're the carry and argueably have more use for the gold). And really, I'm not taking the chance with a low hp champion running away. Just ignore them.

Rekirts

08-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabrias View Post
Hi there Redenbacher! I remember you destroyed us as Kog in one game xD

Anyways, this is a really nice guide. I tried out Kog during the brief period of time when he was free, using this guide, and now I'm saving up IP to buy him.

Great job Rekirts!
Thanks! Lemme know how the games go and if I can help! Love to see more Koggy users, especially AP ones.

Rekirts

08-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyy View Post
im not a pro or anything, not even close, but wards are probably the most important item from what i got after a few matches with koggy, its just priceless to snipe ppl trying to get away with an accurate shot instead of guessing, plus helping a lot in positioning for a team fight and the obvious gank alerts
Positioning for team fights and obvious gank alerts are usually what the wards are for, but the accurate ultimate shots are priceless too. Especially when they think they're safe in the fog of war.