The competitive guide to AP Koggy.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xplody

07-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi90X View Post
Hello. Good Kog Guide. I also successfully play Kog as a long-ranged AP champion.
This is a Harassment Build that keeps the mana flowing to help you farm the lanes, defend and push with V.O. and L.A.

Masteries: 0-9-21
Runes: 7.6 mana/5 sec, + MANA
Spells: Heal and Ghost

Items:
Meiki Pendant + 2 HP
Philosopher's Stone
Amp Tome/boots
Scorcerer's Shoes
Rylai's
Void Staff
Zhonya's
...more AP

The regen im sure is amazing and the x + gold may be nice, but honestly you'll run out of mana way too quick especially if your defending, tears of the goddess lets you gain mana up to 1k, and later on you can upgrade to archangel's staff to destroy people, you'll still have a decent amount of mp5 and bigger pool of mana to spam your Ult

Rekirts

07-28-2010

Thanks to xplody and kikkoi. Glad you enjoyed and learned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeusV View Post
Hey Rekirts!

ty so much for the guide im only new to kog and this has shown me how alot of things that i didnt know ... i guess i was playin him wrong i was using alot of his "suggested" items and was like why do i suck ... but after reading this its helped my ten fold!

btw i got his sonoran skin i love it!! thinking of getting caterpilla one as well though :P

also another quick question?
what is probably the best 3s and 5s combination for kog?
Hey!!! Yeah, his recommended items are really terribad. My guides build is alot alot alot better, from my own experience.

Soloran skin! niceee! I've actually never seen the skin before haha, so it may be better ten caterpiller Kog ;o. You dont NEED caterpiller kog, lol.

I never play TT, so I have no idea how to help you there... or if Kog is even viable. And I can't really name out five specific characters who would be the best team... as I find Kog more of a counterpick then someone who you pick to base the team around of. Heim + Kog combinations can be pretty awesome, ultimate poke + harrass while slowly wittling away at their turret. Pretty **** but it works. Again, Kog is more of someone you'd pick to harrass a more squishier team.

Rekirts

07-28-2010

Quote:
Hello. Good Kog Guide. I also successfully play Kog as a long-ranged AP champion.
This is a Harassment Build that keeps the mana flowing to help you farm the lanes, defend and push with V.O. and L.A.

Masteries: 0-9-21
Runes: 7.6 mana/5 sec, + MANA
Spells: Heal and Ghost

Items:
Meiki Pendant + 2 HP
Philosopher's Stone
Amp Tome/boots
Scorcerer's Shoes
Rylai's
Void Staff
Zhonya's
...more AP
Thanks .

I hope you don't mind if I pick at your build. Don't take offense but I don't understand the 9 points in defense. You're only gaining some armor, 2% dodge, and nimbleness... Your job is to stay out of the battle, not use the ~ 10% dodge AT MOST if you use seals. Though I guess I can understand it against melee dps. Still though, the 15% magic penetration and CDR feels much more important in the offense tree.

Heal is interesting...

Just a heads up, Philo stone is often regarded as a pretty bad item. Doesn't upgrade to anything. I find Tear and Dorans Ring to give you all the magic regeneration you need till later levels... and it eventually upgrades to Archangels!

The rest of your build is pretty much my own, without the guise and surviveability. I don't find AP helping as much as magic pen and you need health points. Teams will be less inclined to target the 3000 hp Kog'Maw with BVeil firing 2000 units away, and with magic penetration, you can still deal alot of damage. I don't find Void Staff useful until the Ashe/Annie/Anivia/etc start stacking MR, Guise + Sorc boots + runes is much more efficient until your target stacks more then 110ish MR, which generally wont be found until higher Elos. At that point I sell the guise and buy the Void Staff.

Glad you enjoyed the guide.

Psi90X

07-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekirts View Post
Thanks .

I hope you don't mind if I pick at your build. Don't take offense but I don't understand the 9 points in defense. You're only gaining some armor, 2% dodge, and nimbleness... Your job is to stay out of the battle, not use the ~ 10% dodge AT MOST if you use seals. Though I guess I can understand it against melee dps. Still though, the 15% magic penetration and CDR feels much more important in the offense tree.

Heal is interesting...

Just a heads up, Philo stone is often regarded as a pretty bad item. Doesn't upgrade to anything. I find Tear and Dorans Ring to give you all the magic regeneration you need till later levels... and it eventually upgrades to Archangels!

The rest of your build is pretty much my own, without the guise and surviveability. I don't find AP helping as much as magic pen and you need health points. Teams will be less inclined to target the 3000 hp Kog'Maw with BVeil firing 2000 units away, and with magic penetration, you can still deal alot of damage. I don't find Void Staff useful until the Ashe/Annie/Anivia/etc start stacking MR, Guise + Sorc boots + runes is much more efficient until your target stacks more then 110ish MR, which generally wont be found until higher Elos. At that point I sell the guise and buy the Void Staff.

Glad you enjoyed the guide.
Hello. Thanks for reply.
I dont think it is 15% mag pen, but rather 15% off of their mag resistence only, and that is a much smaller %.

Rt. 9-0-21 is standard. I have tried that, too.
0-9-21 appears to be better for early game survivability whish is necc until I get the Philosopher's Stone. I will experiment 50/50 between the 2 and see which is better with my play style. It might take 100 games before a quasi-accurate evaluation between the 2 mastery builds emerges.

Regarding the Phil Stone, I feel that Dorian's is a waste of gold in early game. I would rather build Meki into P.Stone.
The health regen early-game really allows Kog to command the lane from that point onward. But still it is a minor pt becasue I think that the Dorians will work, too.

I have been looking more into the mentioned Tear. Nice. I will try that tonight. And add to the build after I get the Rylais, when more team fights ensue mid-game.
Maybe go to the Arch as suggested from there.
(excuse lack of edits/grammar)
Thanks for reply.

Zhico

07-28-2010

for kog maw the only AP item i get it archangel and the rest is DMG and attack speed since he makes and amazing tank and if u use living art right u dont need the extra dmg from AP to finish someone off

Rekirts

07-28-2010

Quote:
Hello. Thanks for reply.
I dont think it is 15% mag pen, but rather 15% off of their mag resistence only, and that is a much smaller %.

Rt. 9-0-21 is standard. I have tried that, too.
0-9-21 appears to be better for early game survivability whish is necc until I get the Philosopher's Stone. I will experiment 50/50 between the 2 and see which is better with my play style. It might take 100 games before a quasi-accurate evaluation between the 2 mastery builds emerges.

Regarding the Phil Stone, I feel that Dorian's is a waste of gold in early game. I would rather build Meki into P.Stone.
The health regen early-game really allows Kog to command the lane from that point onward. But still it is a minor pt becasue I think that the Dorians will work, too.

I have been looking more into the mentioned Tear. Nice. I will try that tonight. And add to the build after I get the Rylais, when more team fights ensue mid-game.
Maybe go to the Arch as suggested from there.
(excuse lack of edits/grammar)
Thanks for reply.
Yeah, well the 15% is additive with the 40% you get from Void Staff, making total penetration 55%. I can understand the early game surviveability though.

Meh, Dorans is one of the most cost efficient items in the game, only problem is it doesn't upgrade anything. The health regen on Philo Stone is good too though. If you need health regen Philo stone is not a horrible alternative.

Yeah, try the tear as you need. Thanks for commenting on my guide . Your grammar is fine.

Zhico: The point of Living Artillery is not to just pick off runners but to also deal massive nuke damage. AP amplifies that and your Void Ooze and Bio-Arcane Barrage.

berzerk dragon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-29-2010

This is a very good guide. It's even led me to a moderate amount of success with Kog, who I previously gave up on. Good job. Also,

Quote:
Soloran skin! niceee! I've actually never seen the skin before haha, so it may be better ten caterpiller Kog ;o. You dont NEED caterpiller kog, lol.
Found a screenshot for you. I rather prefer Sonoran Kog over Caterpillar :P

Redenbacher

07-29-2010

I'm really digging the Murloc skin from Leaguecraft myself. The colors and detail is astounding, although I'm the only person that can see it

Rekirts

07-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by berzerk dragon View Post
This is a very good guide. It's even led me to a moderate amount of success with Kog, who I previously gave up on. Good job. Also,

Found a screenshot for you. I rather prefer Sonoran Kog over Caterpillar :P
Good to hear, now my guide is only a start, you'll also need alot of practice with him...

Nice! I like it haha. Maybe I'll pick it up next time I go and get riot points. Who knows. Thanks!!

Redenbacher: I'll have to look up the murloc skin.

Madra

07-29-2010

I build Kog'maw pure attack speed with void staff, magic penetration runes, MS quints and a 15/0/15 mastery spec. Wit's End, Sword of the Divine, Blood Razor... the high cost of Blood Razor is partially offset by the farming enhancement and the cheap cost of the other items in the build. It's god mode for six seconds, but I only bust it out when I am playing with other tank buster characters. It's probably as dependent on the red pill as AP Kog is dependent on the blue pill. I do think AP is the way to go on Kog'maw, but I just find this build more fun.