The competitive guide to AP Koggy.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Arance

07-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekirts View Post
Thanks. Hope you learned something to incorporate into your game.

If thats what you prefer. AP builds are just what I've had the most success with at the higher Elo ratings, you've probably already read my arguements against it. Hehe, thats a description I've never heard before, may steal it in the future .
I have my own arguments against AP as well, but I think a lot of it come down to personal preference and team comp. Although I can't say what ELO I'm in since I refuse to play Ranked games (I want to, but I'm too neurotic about numbers that I know I'd stress too much about it and the game would stop being any fun).

Heh, that nickname was stolen in turn, since a random person called me that once in a game and it rather stuck.

Rekirts

07-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryptomine View Post
I have my own arguments against AP as well, but I think a lot of it come down to personal preference and team comp. Although I can't say what ELO I'm in since I refuse to play Ranked games (I want to, but I'm too neurotic about numbers that I know I'd stress too much about it and the game would stop being any fun).

Heh, that nickname was stolen in turn, since a random person called me that once in a game and it rather stuck.
To each his own. Can't blame you for not wanting to play ranked mode, I lost 100 points today and yesterday. Went from 1450 to 1350. Really a bummer, downs kids are annoying. Zzz.

haha. Awesomeness!

PapaSmithy

07-27-2010

I consider Kog'Maw one of my favourite heroes to play, but shy away from using him in ranked premades due to the focus being on putting together the most fotm-style team possible or losing.

In terms of build I was not aware of the 150% only being on base damage, this is something which Riot has never made clear and really skews some builds. Current core build is Doran's ring/Sorc shoes/Nashor's tooth/Tear->Archangels, as I feel this is the best way to take advantage of your free bloodrazor and the E/R skills. Will try and work haunting guise in there given the reality of the ult ratios.

Rekirts

07-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmithrd View Post
I consider Kog'Maw one of my favourite heroes to play, but shy away from using him in ranked premades due to the focus being on putting together the most fotm-style team possible or losing.

In terms of build I was not aware of the 150% only being on base damage, this is something which Riot has never made clear and really skews some builds. Current core build is Doran's ring/Sorc shoes/Nashor's tooth/Tear->Archangels, as I feel this is the best way to take advantage of your free bloodrazor and the E/R skills. Will try and work haunting guise in there given the reality of the ult ratios.
Premades is now one of the only times I generally find the time to use Koggy anymore. Fotm-style teams are popular, yes, but ranked mode actually does a good job at stopping even my best premades from stacking the fotm. When its your pick (preferably pick four or five) and the opponents team has maybe Heim/Ashe/Annie/etc and our team needs a strong AP carry capable of dealing with these runts, Kog is an attractive pick.

Mmhmm. Thats a late Tear, and a LOT (55) of magic regeneration, which I never find is that needed. If you're having that much trouble with mana I'd talk your team into getting you golem before building those items. Again with the Nashor's Tooth... the AS is only effective during your Bio-Arcane Barrage, but I guess I can understand it. But remember, you won't even get all of the CDR with masteries/runes/blue elixer, and if you happen to get golem you should be a % or two away from max. I feel Haunting Guise and completing your Archangels faster is much better then the expensive Nashor Tooth.

I suppose I should add a little part into the guide, but do keep in mind that if your opponents carries are really braindead and are buying no MR at all, and their tanks have no Aegis, then you won't be gaining anything out of the magic penetration from Sorc Shoes/Guise, and you should skip it until they wise up and buy more MR.

PapaSmithy

07-27-2010

Its kind of ****ed if you do situation with Kog in a premade, there's just no reason for you to pick Kog over another caster (Annie) without other variables influencing your choice. If you have last pick and the other team is rolling an all tank team and a caster fits in well with your team comp, Kog is a good pick, and if Annie is already taken and you're confident in your skill as Kog, sure. I just can never justify Kog'Maw in and of the heroes own merits, only as a counter-pick or if I'm looking to have fun in a normal game.

ranked games at 1400+ elo really come down to who can pick the strongest fotm team or at the very minimum who can pick the top tier heroes, whether balanced team comp or not.

In regards to items your w skill is an improved range, improved damage bloodrazor which is relatively easy to get to 7% and increases your range significantly. While the skill only lasts 6 seconds, with Nashors tooth and flat cdr runes/masteries the cooldown is hardly significant so I just think you need to take advantage of an innate skill which is significantly stronger than one of the most expensive items in the game.

Rekirts

07-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmithrd View Post
Its kind of ****ed if you do situation with Kog in a premade, there's just no reason for you to pick Kog over another caster (Annie) without other variables influencing your choice. If you have last pick and the other team is rolling an all tank team and a caster fits in well with your team comp, Kog is a good pick, and if Annie is already taken and you're confident in your skill as Kog, sure. I just can never justify Kog'Maw in and of the heroes own merits, only as a counter-pick or if I'm looking to have fun in a normal game.

ranked games at 1400+ elo really come down to who can pick the strongest fotm team or at the very minimum who can pick the top tier heroes, whether balanced team comp or not.

In regards to items your w skill is an improved range, improved damage bloodrazor which is relatively easy to get to 7% and increases your range significantly. While the skill only lasts 6 seconds, with Nashors tooth and flat cdr runes/masteries the cooldown is hardly significant so I just think you need to take advantage of an innate skill which is significantly stronger than one of the most expensive items in the game.
I find Kog a better counterpick against squishies, not tanks. Your ability to snipe them behind the protection of their tank is priceless.

When I 5v5 premade ranked I queue with people with ~~1500 Elo. I'm playing against quality opponents.

I'm not saying not to use it at all in my build, just you're getting alot of useless stats from your Nashor. CDR can be nearly capped with blue elixer/golem, you're using two mana regen items when Archangels alone should keep you from burning out, and I believe buying AP/Magic Pen items for ALL of his abilities is much better than the AS that can only be used during your Bio-Arcane Barrage, which can be easily countered and hard to use in a fight, CCs will be thrown your way.

But if you prefer it... Just try out some magic penetration and see the difference in his ultimate.

Xplody

07-27-2010

tried out the runes, upped my game so much thx man!

kikkoi

07-28-2010

Thanks for your guide!

PrimeusV

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-28-2010

Hey Rekirts!

ty so much for the guide im only new to kog and this has shown me how alot of things that i didnt know ... i guess i was playin him wrong i was using alot of his "suggested" items and was like why do i suck ... but after reading this its helped my ten fold!

btw i got his sonoran skin i love it!! thinking of getting caterpilla one as well though :P

also another quick question?
what is probably the best 3s and 5s combination for kog?

Psi90X

07-28-2010

Hello. Good Kog Guide. I also successfully play Kog as a long-ranged AP champion.
This is a Harassment Build that keeps the mana flowing to help you farm the lanes, defend and push with V.O. and L.A.

Masteries: 0-9-21
Runes: 7.6 mana/5 sec, + MANA
Spells: Heal and Ghost

Items:
Meiki Pendant + 2 HP
Philosopher's Stone
Amp Tome/boots
Scorcerer's Shoes
Rylai's
Void Staff
Zhonya's
...more AP