The competitive guide to AP Koggy.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KhaoticImp

08-16-2010

If the .5 AD scaling on living artillery holds up and makes it live, I have been thinking about a blood thruster... maybe clarity(I know I dont like it either)/ Ghost start with a amp tome (I use Flat HP quints) build into Haunting, Sorc Boots, Brutalizer, Ghostblade (the active helps Bio Arcane Barrage, and doubles as a second Ghost) then ???? This could be the core build then its completely situational.
Im just throwing out ideas. Obviously we cant test it right now, and we dont know what will happen until patch day but its always fun to brainstorm.

OniKedamono

08-18-2010

Nice guide, I was wondering for different ways to build Kog'Maw. I had completely forgotten Haunting Guise (long ago before they even did the change where they added Spell Vamp to it, it was an amazing AP Ezreal item) and never tried it.

I'm wondering how well everything will work for Kog'maw if they do the nerf to his AP abilities which I'd heard someone else mention before. Considering I rarely see him and a lot of people say he's no good I can't imagine why Riot would want to nerf him. Except for the fact that they seem to be trying to make AD better to encourage hybrid Kog'maw.... just like I originally thought they were doing when they were nerfing AP Ez... Trying to say: "Hey, Phreak said he should be played Hybrid/AD, stop playing him AP!"

Hopefully my friends that don't do ranked can get some more games in soon, I'd like to test out and play around with Kog'maw more... but tend to only play ranked.

Again, thanks for the awesome guide

EDIT: Relooking at it, I'm a fool. I remembered the removal of AP from W....... and remembered "half" from his R and put in my head that they were halving his AP ratio.

Fenom

08-18-2010

good stuff...AP Koggy ftw

Numbat

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-18-2010

I don't think Riot is specifically trying to make AD better, but if you think about the changes hybrid items like Guinsoo's and Hextech become a lot more attractive, Guinsoo's would then scale with everything Koggy has, hextech would scale the least with BAB but still scale with everything else significantly. Together the two items could add 100 damage to your ult as well as synergizing with virtually all Kog's other abilities, while if you had taken zhonya's, a NLR, and a BW for 300 AP for the same price you'd still have added only 90 damage to his ult while not doing anything with his attack speed/BAB/armor penetration components. So I don't think pure AP/pen or even a IAS/AD build will really be worth it since you can increase all your abilities significantly by going hybrid.

But these changes themselves are subject to change and are weeks away from public servers. For now I thoroughly enjoy AP Kog and this guide in particular.

KhaoticImp

08-20-2010

I really think Hextech Gunblade is going to be a good item for Kog if the changes go live.

Rekirts

08-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by OniKedamono View Post
Nice guide, I was wondering for different ways to build Kog'Maw. I had completely forgotten Haunting Guise (long ago before they even did the change where they added Spell Vamp to it, it was an amazing AP Ezreal item) and never tried it.

I'm wondering how well everything will work for Kog'maw if they do the nerf to his AP abilities which I'd heard someone else mention before. Considering I rarely see him and a lot of people say he's no good I can't imagine why Riot would want to nerf him. Except for the fact that they seem to be trying to make AD better to encourage hybrid Kog'maw.... just like I originally thought they were doing when they were nerfing AP Ez... Trying to say: "Hey, Phreak said he should be played Hybrid/AD, stop playing him AP!"

Hopefully my friends that don't do ranked can get some more games in soon, I'd like to test out and play around with Kog'maw more... but tend to only play ranked.

Again, thanks for the awesome guide

EDIT: Relooking at it, I'm a fool. I remembered the removal of AP from W....... and remembered "half" from his R and put in my head that they were halving his AP ratio.
Meh, next patch won't be a nerf to AP Kog THAT bad... Just AD kog will be getting a very nice buff. We'll see... Ya ya, thanks for the compliments. I totally agree with the Phreak comment lol.

Removal of AP from W hurts a little, and maybe I'll try leveling Q above it (Though, W is still a nice ability. ZzZ.). We'll see, not a HUGE nerf.

Rekirts

08-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbat View Post
I don't think Riot is specifically trying to make AD better, but if you think about the changes hybrid items like Guinsoo's and Hextech become a lot more attractive, Guinsoo's would then scale with everything Koggy has, hextech would scale the least with BAB but still scale with everything else significantly. Together the two items could add 100 damage to your ult as well as synergizing with virtually all Kog's other abilities, while if you had taken zhonya's, a NLR, and a BW for 300 AP for the same price you'd still have added only 90 damage to his ult while not doing anything with his attack speed/BAB/armor penetration components. So I don't think pure AP/pen or even a IAS/AD build will really be worth it since you can increase all your abilities significantly by going hybrid.

But these changes themselves are subject to change and are weeks away from public servers. For now I thoroughly enjoy AP Kog and this guide in particular.
Meh, Sureleailisdalisali said that they're trying to move the focus to AD Kog'Maw, which is what they feel is best.

I still think Magic Penetration will be key for Kog'Maw. Guinsoo's is going to be an awesome item come next patch, after our core build. Green elix, Rageblade, Archangels, HG, and Sorc Shoes is less than 8000 gold, and gives us plenty of AS, AP, and some AD. The stacks on Guinshoos should be painfully easy to stack and keep.

And while Hextech did get a nice buff last patch, spell vamp and lifesteal are still the worst two stats in the game to stack (And... correct me if I'm wrong, his Void Ooze and Ultimate are both AoE, gaining only 33% spell vamp) and we're too far to really take use of the active (plus, we have a MUCH better slow).

zzZzzz. Just my thoughts, hard to tell without playtesting it.

Rekirts

08-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhaoticImp View Post
I really think Hextech Gunblade is going to be a good item for Kog if the changes go live.
I don't. Still hate that item for whatever reason.

OniKedamono

08-20-2010

Looks like the removal of AP from W has been removed.

I'm really loving AP Kog'maw. I've not played him in ranked as I want to practice him more. But I mainly play unranked only with a lower level friend. Poor lower leveled guys that just sit there and let me ult them 2 or 3 times....

Rekirts

08-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by OniKedamono View Post
Looks like the removal of AP from W has been removed.

I'm really loving AP Kog'maw. I've not played him in ranked as I want to practice him more. But I mainly play unranked only with a lower level friend. Poor lower leveled guys that just sit there and let me ult them 2 or 3 times....
Indeed, but its not that significant TBH.

AP Kog'Maw is easy to love. Yaya, he will do that in lower levels lol.